Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moon Knight #4 Spoilers Welcome to New Egypt

Sail sands here only ye unafraid of spoils, madness, and monsters.

A thread for all the crazy cultist to crawl out and talk about this month's Moon Knight comic in detail as desired after reading it. You did go buy it right? O.O

The first thing I feel compelled to write about this comic: The art and colors are absolutely fantastically done this month. The dialogue is well drawn. This is simply all pro work and I hope they get recognized for it. I am kind of at a loss trying to figure out how to describe it adequately. It really fits the story being told well.

This issue sets up the finale. It started off really trippy by making us question what was real all over again. At least Sobek got his. After everything that happened, somehow stopping for pancakes seemed believable. Made me hungry dag-nabbit.

Frenchie... Jean Paul ... died. But he saw the light. R.I.P. old friend.

They could surprise us but at least I have some confidence Gena will live barring a grade A ******* swerve.

It was kind of sweet for older fans, seeing Marlene wake up and remember the love for Marc from the old days. She told him she loved him. Now? I really fear she will die next month. Somehow considering the really old comics, it feels really right for it to be just the two of them on the steps of the pyramid advancing together to the final fight. And it looks like Marc will face a doppelganger of himself.

Can Marc do it alone? He said he was afraid to try in this issue asking Gena to come along. Wracked with some self doubt, he felt like nothing without his friends. Does that apply to his alter egos too?

Are you the Moon Knight or just another piece of waste that deserves to be flushed? Khonshu sitting on a toilet no less. Good art panel too.

One thing that worries me here. Are they going to be able to fit an adequate ending to this story into a Marvel sized comic next month?

Bits and Pieces:

I loved it when Marc turned around and told Khonshu he was getting tired of his **** in the bathroom.

Why is Marlene thinking more clearly the closer they get to the pyramid?

Gena told him... You don't need me anymore.

I wonder if we are seeing the start of some prophecy play out. Mainly because of Khonshu at the start proclaiming "Then it begins. The final night."

It's late. I am tired and need... pancakes. That's where I am right now. Where are you?
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 07-06-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Khonshu's crap changing my spelling to make me look bad and all. Won't drive me crazier than I already am.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Wait just a second. "Finale" as in...

- Final chapter of a story arc?

or

- Final issue of the current run?

Am I the only person that went and ate pancakes after reading this book?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Wait just a second. "Finale" as in...

- Final chapter of a story arc? or - Final issue of the current run?
    I meant finale as in final issue of this five issue story arc before what ever comes next. It's selling well last check.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Alright, we now know for a fact its ongoing and trippy as anything ever thrown into print...

Preview for Moon Knight #6. The next storyline is titled Incarnations.

Moon Knight (2016-) #6 "INCARNATIONS" STARTS NOW! Marc Spector broke his body to escape the prison Khonshu built for his mind…And Stephen Grant awoke in New York City, ready to produce Marvel's next box-office smash! It's a happy ending—unless Marc is still trapped somewhere.

Per listings it looks like Lemire and Smallwood will be continuing work on the title.

Possible Cover:

At this point, can any one blame me for wondering exactly what the heck is going to happen in Moon Knight #5 ???
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 07-06-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Mighty Member

I wonder if this is all just to switch to the Steven Grant persona, with the classic Moon Knight representing Marc, in a similar way that Death of Moon Knight had him switch to Jake down in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I wonder if this is all just to switch to the Steven Grant persona, with the classic Moon Knight representing Marc, in a similar way that Death of Moon Knight had him switch to Jake down in Mexico.
    I don't know. This first arc seems to be wrapping up his supporting characters. Incarnations as a story arc will run several issues as well. I somehow figure it will cover each personality with an issue starting with Grant as an actor and... just like the supporting cast wrap each alter ego up as done or dead somehow. This will leave us with Moon Knight reborn or revealed maybe? Khonshu has given us some clues on what is occurring long term. There is only the Moon Knight... That's speculation.

I am so impatient. I keep hoping for a horde of people to leap in and post so I don't feel like the lone fan loser of a forgotten hero keeping the fire alive lol.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 07-06-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: It's all Khonshu's fault I am telling you.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    I don't know.h am so impatient. I keep hoping for a horde of people to leap in and post so I don't feel like the lone fan loser of a forgotten hero keeping the fire alive lol.
    You're not alone! MK is in my opinion one of the best books being put out by Marvel. Heck, has been for awhile. I love that it seems to exist in it's own weird little corner, away from everything else. Anyway, this issue was fantastic, & next month can't get here fast enough.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

RIP Frenchie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    RIP Frenchie
    If I had a heart...it would be in smithereens right now

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

Thanks for this thread, and for your MK passion, OP.

I've only ever been a tangential MK fan. I kept up on what he was up to, and I read good things about his most recent run. The importance of mental health to his story is really unique (maybe Hank Pym's character has dealt with some of the same identity issues, too).

I've been picking up this new series and I enjoy it. I don't know exactly what's going on, and I'm buying into that premise. It's unsettling, and I don't want to distrust all the books I read, but I'm comfortable with one. It's like Holden Caulfield being an unreliable narrator. I don't think MK is lying to us, but his truth might not be real.

I appreciate, too, the visual risks the artist is taking. It doesn't work all the time everywhere, but on the main, the visuals really compliment the story.

We need more gods on toilets.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

That last page on #4 had me shook. Definitely did not expect that.

I feel like this will be revealed to be a dream sequence of some sort. Things just seem really psychedelic to be legit at face value.

I didn't like how Frenchie died, I feel like his long history with Marc deserved something much more dignified. Though I don't think it was real either, so there's that.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor-Comics View Post
    Thanks for this thread, and for your MK passion, OP.

I've only ever been a tangential MK fan. I kept up on what he was up to, and I read good things about his most recent run. The importance of mental health to his story is really unique (maybe Hank Pym's character has dealt with some of the same identity issues, too).

I've been picking up this new series and I enjoy it. I don't know exactly what's going on, and I'm buying into that premise. It's unsettling, and I don't want to distrust all the books I read, but I'm comfortable with one. It's like Holden Caulfield being an unreliable narrator. I don't think MK is lying to us, but his truth might not be real.

I appreciate, too, the visual risks the artist is taking. It doesn't work all the time everywhere, but on the main, the visuals really compliment the story.

We need more gods on toilets.
    Now that I think about it, Mental Illness is typically portrayed as a bad thing that turns would be heroes into villains all the time. I mean, go figure right? You mentioned Hank Pym and he is an example of mental health driving a hero to do bad. The thing is that with this run Lemire actually used Marc's mental health as a way to make him special and a hero, something he deals with to achieve good ends, instead and I can't remember this being done on an ongoing basis with another character in quite this way. It's an interesting concept.

Based on what has occurred and been revealed so far, it's like Marc is dealing with some sort of attack on reality and is slipping between different ones with his actions determining what is real and what is not in the actual comic universe. We are watching a character play his own choose your own adventure novel with real stakes. It's a big idea but that cop and those orderlies could have been ordinary people for real if he chose for them to be so. Actual reality changed when he chose that they were Seth's servants and it was made so. Not just perception. This is a disturbing theory... It's speculation and I know I run the risk of reading too much into way too little but it's a fun idea. He isn't an unreliable narrator under this concept. He is an artist that doesn't know a brush is in hand. It's all a throwback to Bob Ross man, there are no mistakes only happy little accidents.

So why is Marlene becoming stronger as they approach the pyramid core?

Considering everything, I think I have always felt like there was a god on the toilet and I was trapped in the bowl....

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

I feel like this will be revealed to be a dream sequence of some sort. Things just seem really psychedelic to be legit at face value.

I didn't like how Frenchie died, I feel like his long history with Marc deserved something much more dignified. Though I don't think it was real either, so there's that.
    What threw me into a crazy thought loop was that the MK that appeared to confront Marc was dressed in the old costume. New Marc vs. Old Marc? And how does Marlene play into that? Will she accept the now, the current Marc or ...

I noted above my thoughts about this being just a dream. Unlike you I think he is choosing what is real but that doesn't mean I am right. Thing is, I feel the consequences in all of this need to be real for the story to really hit home and mean something. Cracking it up to just a dream washes everything away. If he really is choosing then... OMG. So, I lean toward hoping its real.

Frenchie first appeared in Werewolf by Night #32, in August 1975, this was also the first appearance of appearance of Moon Knight in a comic. The character would next appear in The Defenders issue 49, in July 1977, and finally become a recurring character in the 1980 Moon Knight series. Lemire's first arc has been hard on us oldsters. I admit the supporting cast needed an update but man. The blood flows. I just hope it is worth it. That Moon Knight goes to cool new places and turns back into the hero we want. The story is awesome but like you I cringe at the kills. I am just not sure in the page limit, and ongoing arc, if there is such a thing as a dignified death or that the concept fits the grim and gritty crazy story we have...

I'll miss Frenchie. I am just trying to trust the writers that this will all go to a great place. That it happened for good cause.

Yes. I am terrified by issue 5.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 07-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.

BANNED

Storytelling is the thing that's keeping me in the loop so far. Identity crisis have been done "ad naseaum", I don't expect the ending to fulfil and adequate role in this time and age.

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    Storytelling is the thing that's keeping me in the loop so far. Identity crisis have been done "ad naseaum", I don't expect the ending to fulfill an adequate role in this time and age.
    I can be wrong but I wondered if issue 5 wasn't an ending but a bleed into part two (like a chapter in a written novel) as this seems to be a larger story than one self contained arc which seems the standard anymore, at least I get that feeling from the preview for issue six. I am asking myself if I am wrong to expect the big pay off so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

Agreed, Of Atlantis. That last page really surprised me and somewhat throws confusion into this storyline. I think many of us thought that in the first issue that this whole story was just Marc being tricked into thinking he's crazy. Subsequent issues lead one to believe that Marc somehow sees the truth. However, I'm starting to wonder here regarding how much of this is real and how much is a product of Marc's psychedelic hallucination. I mean, Frenchie isn't really dead.....................right? Is all of this just a product of Marc's imagination?

Call me intrigued. Will continue to read!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."