Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Max could be BARRY'S mentor!
    Max and Barry never met in Pre-FLASHPOINT continuity (unless you count their encounters as disembodied spirits inside the Speed Force, but they hardly interacted on those rare occasions), but if they were to meet corporeally, I think they would be great Speed Force debate partners rather than mentor and mentee. Barry's understanding of how superspeed works has always come from his scientific background and training; he thinks of speed in scientific terms. Max, on the other hand, has always treated superspeed from an intuitive, spiritual perspective. To have Barry and Max exchange ideas about their understanding of the Speed Force could lead to interesting results.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Max and Barry never met in Pre-FLASHPOINT continuity (unless you count their encounters as disembodied spirits inside the Speed Force, but they hardly interacted on those rare occasions), but if they were to meet corporeally, I think they would be great Speed Force debate partners rather than mentor and mentee. Barry's understanding of how superspeed works has always come from his scientific background and training; he thinks of speed in scientific terms. Max, on the other hand, has always treated superspeed from an intuitive, spiritual perspective. To have Barry and Max exchange ideas about their understanding of the Speed Force could lead to interesting results.
    Are you talking about Barry's "understanding of how superspeed works" and "his scientific background and training" post-Flashpoint specifically?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you talking about Barry's "understanding of how superspeed works" and "his scientific background and training" post-Flashpoint specifically?
    Not necessarily, but Barry's science nerdery, which was traditionally a part of his character, was left largely unexplored during the New 52 era. In the REBIRTH era, I'd say it's time to revive and refocus on this aspect of his character.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Here's the entire podcast: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/po...he-dc3cast-24/

I usually don't listen to podcasts (they are too freaking long) but there was some really juicy info i couldn't pass up:
    • Max Mercury is returning. His idea was to reintroduce him during first arc. but it got delayed.
    • Wally WILL appear in the book, just not as heavily as the younger one. He'll be mostly in the Titans as we guessed.
    • There is a mandate on having "too little" influence from the TV Show. He wanted to introduce Harrison Wells (or a character like him) but the idea was rejected by Johns for "being too similar to the TV show".
    • He's not going to write about The Rogues for a while.
    • Some of the speedsters from the current arc. will be staying in Flash family.

I'm happy about the return of Max but it just dawned on me....he might be the "mentor" for the younger Wallace he was talking about. If that's going to be the case then poor Bart is reaaaally about to be replaced by Wally Jr. I'm not sure I'm ok with that.

I'm so happy TV show will no longer have an effect on the book. It completely screwed the last run with Venditti. But I'm bummed up to hear minus Rogues, it means we're going to have more of Speed Force stories......
    I've liked this run a lot. It's balanced TV ideas, fan-service ideas, actual freaking follow-up on "Road to Flashpoint" stuff, and a decent pace and structure for stories and ideas pretty well. The art has been pretty good, too, especially any given Porter issue. And hey even Multiversity tie-ins! I feel like the Rogues might be off the shelf a little because of their usage in Geoff Johns stuff, like Doomsday Clock, but we'll see.

I'm excited to see Max Mercury get a Rebirthed costume akin to Jay Garrick's, where it's very O.G. but has some modern flair to it.

What else? Oh I get the "Not 1:1 TV show" mandate but I'd be down for Harrison Wells either way. It's not like you're dropping Vibe and Killer Frost and Firestorm into it. I geeked a little back when Professor Zoom was evading Batman and Flash through Hypertime and mentioned going back in time and becoming like Barry's Dad, because that was totally a little Harrison Wells callback. So I'd be down to see Wells, and Joe West. That'd be about it. Have no idea off the cuff how you'd bring Joe West in, since comic book Iris's dad isn't Wallace's dad, and is a real P.O.S. - you'd still want Joe to have that fatherly relationship with Barry, Iris and the rest, but they all have in-canon father figures, so he'd have to be like, Uncle Joe, coolest uncle ever.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    . . . I'm excited to see Max Mercury get a Rebirthed costume akin to Jay Garrick's, where it's very O.G. but has some modern flair to it.
    Do we know if Max would be getting any costume revisions or not if/when he returns?

Remember, the podcast where Williamson talked about Max returning was mentioned in a post dated 07-06-2016, over two years ago!

And did Jay really get any revision to his outfit under "Rebirth", or was that just how one artist was drawing it during the few pages in an issue last year?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Yeah, except that because of the Flashpoint shenanigans, Barry is significantly younger and less experiences (well, last I checked - who can keep track anymore?) than Max so it would be interesting to see him deal with an older speedster with way more experience. Same with Jay. Barry never had that Pre-Crisis so it could be an interesting dynamic. Unfortunately, because of the fixation on not making the Silver Age versions of these characters anything less than the definitive take, I do worry that the PTB at DC won't let any other speedster upstage Barry. Even with allowing for Wally to be faster than Barry, they've never fully explored the idea that with Wally having all his memories back, he is much more experienced than Barry, even if he is technically younger than him. Having Barry deal with the fact that these other speedsters from a pre-Flashpoint timeline are way more experienced than him could bring some interesting story anc character dynamics but, yeah, I unfortunately just don't think it will ever be played that way.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Exclamation

max will be lucky if he gets a peep after the fate of Jay. if he does appear again and sticks around I can totally see him being Zen about flashpoint and delivering truisms about the same.