Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default They grow up so fast: Super-Sons general thread

This is basically a thread for news, speculation, and discussion for the upcoming Super-Sons book.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

So has anyone heard any more news about it? I was really expecting to see a solicit when the last batch came out but there was nothing.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

So to kick things off, I think it's pretty interesting that we have yet to get descriptions of the first issue (set for September), the writer on the book, or officially the artist (very likely Jorge Jimenez though).

But I did read this http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/...and-chris-who/

And I find it really interesting that Jorge Jimenez is doing the fill in art for the "cool down" issue of Superman by Tomasi and Gleason. That makes me think he's right-smack-dab in the Superman world, AND he's heavily involved in Jon's neck of the woods since his art closes the arc ("son of Superman"). In some ways I'm thinking it'll be a sort of "ad" for Super-Sons like the (really fun) Bizarro issue from Pak was for the Bizarro book.

This is Didio's favorite book of Rebirth (http://comicbook.com/2016/03/05/supe...rebirth-title/), and most recently he's told a Superboy (Kon-El) fan to read Super-Sons because Kon will no longer be in use for the foreseeable future. So I'm incline to think they haven't gotten cold feet. In fact makes me think they've got pretty nice talent behind this book. I mean the book does also double as a Superman/Batman book in the most basic way, so yeah.

Time will tell. Anyone else got any news or constructive thoughts they'd like to share?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I can't wait for Super Sons! I hope we get a solid release date soon.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So to kick things off, I think it's pretty interesting that we have yet to get descriptions of the first issue (set for September), the writer on the book, or officially the artist (very likely Jorge Jimenez though).

But I did read this http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/...and-chris-who/

And I find it really interesting that Jorge Jimenez is doing the fill in art for the "cool down" issue of Superman by Tomasi and Gleason. That makes me think he's right-smack-dab in the Superman world, AND he's heavily involved in Jon's neck of the woods since his art closes the arc ("son of Superman"). In some ways I'm thinking it'll be a sort of "ad" for Super-Sons like the (really fun) Bizarro issue from Pak was for the Bizarro book.

This is Didio's favorite book of Rebirth (http://comicbook.com/2016/03/05/supe...rebirth-title/), and most recently he's told a Superboy (Kon-El) fan to read Super-Sons because Kon will no longer be in use for the foreseeable future. So I'm incline to think they haven't gotten cold feet. In fact makes me think they've got pretty nice talent behind this book. I mean the book does also double as a Superman/Batman book in the most basic way, so yeah.

Time will tell. Anyone else got any news or constructive thoughts they'd like to share?
    We know the writers of the book. Newsarama confirmed Chris Burns and Dennis Culver are writing it a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    We know the writers of the book. Newsarama confirmed Chris Burns and Dennis Culver are writing it a few weeks ago.
    Yeah I caught that bleedingcool said Newsarama did that, but it's just strange not too many other places (I've seen/remember) have.

But if it's true then I couldn't be more happy. Dennis Culver is fantastic! I'm currently (like right this second) reading Edison Rex, and if he can put in this same sort of fun, imagination, and humor into Super-Sons? Sold! Freakin Sold!!

If you (or anyone esle) hasn't checked out Edison Rex, then please do. In addition to just being an awesome and imaginative riff on Superman/Lex /DC as a whole, it might also be a look at the sort of fun we may have in store for us!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-06-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Gleason put this up on Twitter 3 days ago with " #jonkent #supersons #superman #sketch" on it

This is a pic of Jimenez drawing for issue #3 of Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah I caught that bleedingcool said Newsarama did that, but it's just strange not too many other places (I've seen/remember) have.

But if it's true then I couldn't be more happy. Dennis Culver is fantastic! I'm currently (like right this second) reading Edison Rex, and if he can put in this same sort of fun, imagination, and humor into Super-Sons? Sold! Freakin Sold!!

If you (or anyone esle) hasn't checked out Edison Rex, then please do. In addition to just being an awesome and imaginative riff on Superman/Lex /DC as a whole, it might also be a look at the sort of fun we my have in store for us!
    Thanks for the tip! Does anyone know anything about Chris Burns?

I've been doing some more digging regarding the old Super-Sons book in World's Finest, and I've come up with a few things.

-Clark jr and Bruce jr traveled the country on a little motorcycle/moped.

Remind you of anything?

I doubt Jon will be using it along with Damian, but in light of the new developments of issue 2 of Superman, I could see Jon getting fatigued after flying for too long.

I'll be looking back at the Super-Sons story from WF as the current Rebirth Superman stuff unfolds. It could hold some clues of what's to come. Like for instance, Jon's powers. He seems to be quite strong for his age (being able to burn Clark with his heat vison, and Clark commenting on how strong it was), but his powers also seem to flicker on and off and at hard to control levels. The isn't quite like the orginal Super-Sons book, but it does share the idea of challenges coming with being a Kryptoinan human hybrid.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BFF View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Does anyone know anything about Chris Burns?
    Burnham is probably best known for drawing and guest writing Batman Inc. Recently he co-wrote an X-Men special with Dennis Culver that again brought him back to Morrison works, E for Extinction . It was actually really good, mixing in a lot of clever humor to a story that clearly understood its characters and the theme of its predecessor.

Fun fact: I missed a couple of New 52 months back in 2012 and then went back to fill in some gaps. I was at Challengers in Chicago, and when I picked up Batman Inc #2, I noticed that he'd signed it! And apparently just did that randomly and then put it back in the bin, haha. Thankfully they didn't charge extra for that.

The thing that first endeared me toward Jon was that he was as much his mother's son as his father's — that is, he was insatiably inquisitive and constantly latching onto little details that didn't seem to fit. I hope that doesn't get lost in Super-Sons; I mean, having powers is all well and good; but if he's going to end up as Damian's friend, he's going to need something that lets him overcome Damian's manipulative tendencies — and he can't be gullible, or Damian will walk all over him.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, I'm pretty interested in seeing them play off of each other when it comes to the dominant sides of their personalities. I'm trying to remember older interactions between Bruce and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Burnham is probably best known for drawing and guest writing Batman Inc. Recently he co-wrote an X-Men special with Dennis Culver that again brought him back to Morrison works, E for Extinction . It was actually really good, mixing in a lot of clever humor to a story that clearly understood its characters and the theme of its predecessor.
    At this point I'm not sure if they mean Chirst Burns (this guy http://comicvine.gamespot.com/christ...ns/4040-57967/) or Burnham, the guy you described.

My personal hope is that it's Burnham on as secondary artist (*drooling*). It's Didio's favorite book so he might have balled out and spent some serious money on talent. Maybe even a guest spot of Morrison (I bet Morrison likes Dennis Culver) and writing for Burnham for an arc????? I'd die happy lol.

So I've finished catching up with Dennis Culver's Edison Rex (please check it out!) and I'm becoming more and more convinced that we might see one of the most classic tropes for these sorts of books; the "glimpse into the future" trope. We already have a pretty clear idea of what Damian will look like in the future, and recently Jurgens has given us a grown up Jon in Batman Beyond (but that's an off shoot time line).

But I see Culver doing something a little more unique to him. I'm sure he'll hold to Morrison's take a bit more because it's a little closer to the main DCU's timeline, but I think he'll have his own spin. Heres hoping for future Super-Sons