Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Marvel is starting to lack originality and are forcing PC and all of that stuff down our throats, they're burying themselves....basically serving up a huge platter for DC to eat off of.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

I wonder if DC really gear their overall strategy to make main aim to over-take Marvel sales?

Over aims (eg. Massively increasing sales...at least doubling them. Or going all electronic. Or introducing three new major characters in next 5 years) would almost certainly make for a more exciting ride.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I wonder if DC really gear their overall strategy to make main aim to over-take Marvel sales?
    It's pretty much always a company's goal to make as much money as possible, regardless if they have the greatest market share.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    It's pretty much always a company's goal to make as much money as possible, regardless if they have the greatest market share.
    Not sure that's true. I'd argue that there's a fair number of companies that are happy enough to make enough money to achieve their main goal. Several massive sports concerns...that do operate in many cases as companies...are happier to win major championships and have reasonable profits rather than sporting mediocrity with more profit.

Other companies..sadly...seem to be run to keep management in luxury, rather than optimise shareholder return.

But even assuming ultimate aim is to maximise long term profit leaves it open as to best way to get there.

For example, DC could take line of just trying to retain present customers and raise sales prices and lower production rather than get large numbers of new fans...it might decide mainstream super hero fanbase cannot be substantially expanded.

BANNED

It's possible. If this were wrestling, it'd be a sure thing. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. could come over to DC Comics much like when Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, and Hogan came over to WCW and caused WCW to all of a sudden beat WWF in ratings.

Astonishing Member

There's a growing backlash on what Marvel is doing with its comics right now. However I still believe it's the work of Disney behind this. They are trying to get as many new IPs going on to expand into movies, tv, and merchandise right now. Unfortunately it's at the expense of long-time fans.

What Marvel is doing right now reminds me of the New 52. Publish titles that have little to no chance in succeed. I do notice that Marvel is pumping way more comics per month than DC at the moment. By just sheer volume of titles I don't see DC surpassing Marvel.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It wouldn't bother me a bit if you're right. Frankly I think Marvel needs a stoppage of momentum, something to make them stop and think and put more effort into their ideas. Because they're just coasting right now, and that's never good. That's why we're getting **** like Civil War II, a sequel no one wanted.
    I would hope Marvel getting a kick up the ass would reinvigorate them but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    There's a growing backlash on what Marvel is doing with its comics right now. However I still believe it's the work of Disney behind this. They are trying to get as many new IPs going on to expand into movies, tv, and merchandise right now. Unfortunately it's at the expense of long-time fans.
    I don't think it's Disney's fault, Marvel comics and Marvel movies are unrecognizable from one another. The MCU is essentially a white boys club that, as of now, has not produced a film with a female or minority lead.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    SW line is beginning to get a bit pathetic now too. Vader's gone & they're scratching at the bottom and doing a TFA adaption now.
    The Star Wars stuff has been fantastic, I have no idea what you've been reading.

Anyway I don't care about sales, I care about what books my favorite characters are in and if those stories are good.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitRedBeard View Post
    Marvel is starting to lack originality and are forcing PC and all of that stuff down our throats, they're burying themselves....basically serving up a huge platter for DC to eat off of.
    Lemme see if I have this straight.

DC gives Midnighter a solo title and a limited series with Apollo, but Marvel are the ones forcing "PC and all of that stuff" down your throat?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Lemme see if I have this straight.

DC gives Midnighter a solo title and a limited series with Apollo, but Marvel are the ones forcing "PC and all of that stuff" down your throat?
    The difference is that Midnighter is an original character, where as Tony Stark is shelved to make room for a new black female Iron Man.

Imagen if Jimenez' Superwoman comic (coming this autumn) replaced all Superman comics, that's the issue Marvel fans are having.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    The difference is that Midnighter is an original character, where as Tony Stark is shelved to make room for a new black female Iron Man.

Imagen if Jimenez' Superwoman comic (coming this autumn) replaced all Superman comics, that's the issue Marvel fans are having.
    This. A lot of comic book readers read for the character, they do not follow authors. Legacy characters replacing original characters almost always comes with controversy, need I remind you all of the Hal-Ryner fiasco of the 90's or more recently the Barry-Wally schism (an odd example of a successful legacy character being replaced by the 'original'). These replacements were met with hostility even though they were white guys replacing other white guys.

However, my sympathies extend only to fans of Iron Man (and by extension Thor, Cap, etc) and not to those trying to assert this is PC gone amok. If you were not reading the Iron Man comic, how does this affect you? Why are you so upset over something you did not care about before this news was released?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

One thing DC has going for it with Rebirth that Marvel lacks right now is a sense of positive. A lot of people are down on Marvel for their treatment of and replacement of classic characters. It's starting to reflect in sales numbers. However, I can't help but feel Marvel's link to Disney, big budget films, and cross media franchises like Star Wars will keep them at least nominally in the lead. I feel the comic books themselves are now secondary to other endeavors and really wonder if they can be used as a measure of company success alone. Superhero comic books (I am not sure I count Star Wars here) seem to be such a small market now.

If DC could make a good big budget film or three...
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    If DC could make a good big budget film or three...
    Well, they've made two so far...

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post

But Midnighter is Batman expy