Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Here's How "Justice League: Rebirth" #1 Succeeded Where Other One-Shots Fail

Bryan Hitch's "Justice League: Rebirth" #1 finds a balance between existing as part of the DC Universe and telling its own independent story.

Full article here.

All-New Member

The art did not felt natural in the title at all...And for me Bryan Hitch is not a good writer...I will be droping this title until a better team takes his place...

All-New Member

Most of the article is missing. I didn't see any explanation of how other Rebirth titles have failed, nor of how this one succeeded, which it did not, on any count. I too have removed JLA from my pull list.

The writer of this article must be high. This was the absolute worst of ALL the Rebirth books and possibly the worst book I read all year long.

Garbage art, Mass Effect rip-off plot, way excessive exposition, awful dialogue, etc.

If I had bought a physical copy instead of digital one, I'd have torn it up and thrown it in the trash.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. This was bar none the worst Rebirth issue out of them all thus far, imo. I expected to dislike the art, but Hitch's writing was all over the map here. Just an awful effort all-around. Don't know what the heck went wrong here with the writing but I hope Hitch remedies it fast.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The art was fine because Hitch is always a fine artist at worst but the writing was very bad. DC is doing so much right with Rebirth. It's weird that a title like Justice League would have such a subpar creative team.

I wanted so much to love it. It was my most highly anticipated Rebirth book because it's freaking Justice League even if I had misgivings about the creative team. But I can't agree with this article at all. This was a pretty bad comic book. I've read all of Rebirth and this was the first issue that flat out didn't work.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    The art was fine because Hitch is always a fine artist at worst but the writing was very bad. DC is doing so much right with Rebirth. It's weird that a title like Justice League would have such a subpar creative team.

I wanted so much to love it. It was my most highly anticipated Rebirth book because it's freaking Justice League even if I had misgivings about the creative team. But I can't agree with this article at all. This was a pretty bad comic book. I've read all of Rebirth and this was the first issue that flat out didn't work.
    Art was mostly good with some awful panels.
    Ending managed to steal lines from both Doctor (Who) Ten and Eleven. That might have been fun if one of the characters had commented on that fact, but as it is it comes across as a bit of a rip off.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

See, I liked the Mass-Effect "rip-off". What do you guys want? Another story about Darkseid? Another one about Brainiac? I dig that they try something new.

The art was awful that's true. I sure hope they rotate or change the artists completely for issue #1 but other than that I am all in on this new Justice League run because I enjoyed the rebirth issue more than other rebirth issues...
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER

I wouldn't say it succeeded where others failed. It didnt suck and nothing stood out. If anything it was a little generic. Pre-FP Superman and the new Green Lanterns were re-introduced to the league for what? The 3rd time now? I got some serious deja vu reading this book. I liked the Dr Who reference and giant flea face huggers. It set the tone, this is the Justice League and this is the kind of big bad cosmic thing we do. Dont take things too seriously, its going to get crazy. Overall, it provided an iterative framework to build on. That said, I'm a fan of Hitch and I will still read anything with Justice League in the title.

Oohh it's Bizarro Day. I'll play along. Yes this issue was great. It was definitely not the worst Rebirth issue so far. Other Rebirth books have failed where this book succeeded. Me no am this book's biggest fan.

That was fun!

Sorry, but no.
    This is clearly not a good comic.
    While I get Hitch's aim and what he is allowed to do the comic is just a filler, if at all.
    While his art is even at his worst is better than others is right, but compared to his standard it is beyond weak. Awkward poses, strange faces, so also nothing in favour for this issue.
    For me a waste of money and time.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I gave the art a 'good' because I was being gracious and due to the non-people scenes, but, yes, the characters were poorly done. A wonder Woman panel in particular had me wincing. Odd that a flagship title was allowed to have truly bad art panels at all let alone during the start of a new era.
    I think that aesthetics-wise we may regret the switch to bimonthly.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

I don't know where all the hate is coming from. As far as the issue goes, I thought it did a perfectly good job of fulfilling its mandate of setting up the new status quo and actually telling a story while doing it.

Haha! This was the worst Rebirth issue. Awful art, terrible writing and blunt plot. Hitch was a good artist back then but that time has passed. And now he's a bad writer and awful artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlol View Post
    And for me Bryan Hitch is not a good writer...I will be droping this title until a better team takes his place...
    This, sadly. I wanted to like his JLA but it was a bore. I haven't read his Rebirth one shot yet (I will), but I'm deciding what all to cut, and since I didn't like his work before I'm 95% sure I'm not going to stick with his Rebirth work.