Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Bryan Cranston Compares New "Power Rangers" Movie to "The Dark Knight" Trilogy

The future Zordon actor says his "Power Rangers" movie will elevate the maturity of the Mighty Morphin' franchise.

Full article here.

This is reassuring. A lot of people look back on the shows with nostalgia goggles. Sure I was obsessed with it when I was a kid, but I saw an episode again a couple years back and all I felt was remorse for what I put my parents through. Still, it has the right blocks to build a successful franchise. As long as it's written and directed properly with some actual effort and not treated like another cookie cutter cash grab (cough- Transformers) it should turn out fine. I'll wait for a trailer.
    Last edited by A_Nominus; 07-06-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Eh, I dont really need a dark super serious Power Rangers. It's supposed to be campy, that's part of the charm.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, I dont really need a dark super serious Power Rangers. It's supposed to be campy, that's part of the charm.
    Yeah...I don't need Power Rangers to start taking on the kind of tone and style of the Dark Knight Trilogy, when this is still a franchise that's ostensibly meant for, and still marketed towards, kids. Ideally this should be a movie that appeals to all-ages, not just being a more "mature" take on the Power Rangers property.

Now, if we're talking the same level of craft, writing, characterization, etc., that would be great.

Yeah.. sounds like they're fighting the material. If this is "unrecognizable" then there's no value to using an intellectual property that will turn off many on its name alone. And as for gripping insights into the complexities of high-school life, could we all just agree to pretend that we watched an after-school special from the 80's and give this a miss?

So they sold him some BS story to get him in.

This isnt anything new in the film industry. Saban own PR now, he is not going to do anything to harsh. His vision of PR is basically a real life cartoon. After the OG rangers were done there were a couple of series that were a bit more "adult" so im sure that's the level we are getting here.

TBH, I don't care much if it's a steaming crapfest. The original MMPR was goofy as f***, but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyway. 23 years later (yeah it's been that long) and I still get a kick out of it, even at age 42. The biggest mistake they can do with the new PR movie is try to go too serious. Get smart with the VFX? Sure. I'm down with that. Get smart with the plot? Nah? Who cares. Give me some kung fu, giant bots, & lots of monsters and we're good. Let PR be PR.

Incredible Member

I think he just means it's going to cast the wildest possible net to get people to watch

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

I'm fine with it being darker and a different interpretation. I grew up on the original series, but it is very dated and campy and doesn't hold up. Power Rangers is something ripe for vastly different interpretations, so I say go for it.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

So they're going Chojin Sentai Jetman on this? That's probably the darkest and most mature Super Sentai I've ever viewed. Guess that's why it was followed by Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (Mighty Morphin).
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

That's a bold comparison, but one I think is relevant to make if Power Rangers is going to be a viable franchise again. This isn't the 90s. This isn't even the early 2000s. The world of superheroes has matured. Dawn of Justice and Civil War proved that. Many of the kids who grew up watching Power Rangers are adults now with different tastes. I think Power Rangers can appeal to that again, but only if done right. I think the new comic series does a great job of that. But it's a bit harder to translate into a movie. Still very interested to see the results.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by juggalord View Post
    Give me some kung fu
    Power Rangers was originally a Japanese show, they weren't doing "kung fu"

BANNED

A serious, dark movie about brightly colored martial artists fighting giant booger monsters?

How the hell is that a good idea?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    A serious, dark movie about brightly colored martial artists fighting giant booger monsters?

How the hell is that a good idea?
    Read Cranston's quote again. He said it's not as dark as The Dark Knight Trilogy. He's saying it won't nearly as campy as people make the TV show out to be.

Also, there was never a booger monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Power Rangers was originally a Japanese show, they weren't doing "kung fu"
    I don't know, they did animal poses and used fighting techniques that are common in any kick/punch martial art...