Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

We learned a couple of things today.
    spoilers:
    Riri likes Star Trek and cosplay. She has a Geordi La Forge visor!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This issue is fantastic. What a brilliant last page.

BANNED

I was excited seeing the preview spread, but I felt kinda bored reading the issue for some reason.

I don't think we needed an explanation for the translators... like they're pretty common and I don't know why riri thought it was cool. Goggles with microvision were cool but a 3d printer glow in the dark hand canon just seems indulgent (could be cool if it made its own ammo though). A suit that can withstand a ton of pressure doesn't seem novel. I feel like she needs a purpose to these inventions... like maybe trying to make them more affordable to her community and stuff.

Kinda weird that riri would complain about her lab treated like a zoo so it's unsafe (it would have higher safety protocols if it were, zoos tend to have the bad animals behind tough glass). It also felt weird that her response to "did you and your father work on things together?" was "nope he died".

The villain fight was cool, I like her slowly figuring things out, improvising with her tech and environment to get a win.

The hobbies talk with Xavier felt a little hollow past the geordie cosplay... it just threw in random references. I would like a bit more fleshing out of her opinions on her hobbies instead of just snips of the ends and middle of her conversation. The cosplaying one felt good though. I also like her isolation aspect here and also earlier with her friends that showed up to take her to lunch.

I liked the idea of her AI being based on analysing her dreams, behavior, subconscious. She was cut off before she could say what her AI could do, but I have a guess of where this storyline could go: I think by taking the shape of Natalie, her father and people she's lost based on her subconscious it'd help her get over her survivor's guilt in some way and be more emotionally supportive as well compared to other AIs. People tend to punish themselves by hiding certain facts in their memories that could help relieve the pain or absolve them of guilt that isn't their fault: I see an AI that brings these things to the surface and help cope in other ways helping a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Interesting that they're using a Spider-Man villain instead of one of Tony's rogues.
    They used him to tie her in with the 10 rings when he gave her their token
    So you can see her sharing those villains now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This issue is fantastic. What a brilliant last page.
    Agreed. A very satisfying start!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I got INTO IT the other day at work with our police liaison (I work at a hospital, closely with our security team) about Riri.

I was telling him about her "With Great Power" adjacent quote and how it really resonated with me and he told me he knew that quote but didn't know it was from Spiderman and then when I explained its origin (the courage quote) being that of Riri Williams he began singing that same nonsense song about replacement heroes and gender bending and all that other nonsense a standard comicsgater would blabber on about but I shut that shit down hard and fast.

I considered it a solid win, extinguishing nonsense assumptions and prejudices before they could fully solidify, since this guy didn't have the extensive continuity background I do.

He didn't know about all the previous Armor-inhabitants or the previous Captains who adopted the shield, etc etc, and although he still felt that legacy and gender shifting was still much more of a cash grab, I was able to redirect that angst by explaining that EVERYTHING in a publishing powerhouse like DC or Marvel or even Addidas or Burger King is an attempted cash grab because BUSINESS AND MONEY AND DUH. The remarkable thing with COMICS and in this case, specifically, RIRI -- is that such a "cash grab" also opens doors, eyes, and hearts to something NEW and meaningful for a demographic that may have otherwise been ignored or underappreciated, while the content itself is still familiar enough and connected enough to previously existing material to be tempting and digestible for folks "in the know" of Iron Man, or whomever the connective tissue may be.

To be fair-most folks don't know. Especially those who don't follow comics.

Remember for the most part Marvel made sure whoever you saw on tv or in the movies MATCHED the comic.
    So there was no confusion on the HOPE that someone watching those movies or shows would seek out the comic.

Jane Foster as Thor changed that. So you had Thor 2 with him but a comic with her. Nobody threw a real fit. So they seems to have stopped doing it.
    The issue here at Marvel is too many of that group look at COVERS and not CONTENT.

Riri NEVER wore Tony's armor. She made her own version to fit her.

I enjoyed the HECK out of this issue. I enjoyed the conversation with Xavier more than anything else.

It felt like a complete book that saw the hero face a villain and then we got to see the PRIVATE side. If it keeps up like this and improves-Marvel got a nice companion book for Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, Wasp & Squirrel Girl.

Nice having books about Teens and they are not getting killed for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To be fair-most folks don't know. Especially those who don't follow comics.

Remember for the most part Marvel made sure whoever you saw on tv or in the movies MATCHED the comic.
    So there was no confusion on the HOPE that someone watching those movies or shows would seek out the comic.

Jane Foster as Thor changed that. So you had Thor 2 with him but a comic with her. Nobody threw a real fit. So they seems to have stopped doing it.
    The issue here at Marvel is too many of that group look at COVERS and not CONTENT.

Riri NEVER wore Tony's armor. She made her own version to fit her.

I enjoyed the HECK out of this issue. I enjoyed the conversation with Xavier more than anything else.

It felt like a complete book that saw the hero face a villain and then we got to see the PRIVATE side. If it keeps up like this and improves-Marvel got a nice companion book for Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, Wasp & Squirrel Girl.

Nice having books about Teens and they are not getting killed for shock value.
    Apologies, I didn't mean to imply Riri wore Tony's armor. My intention was to merely clarify that "armor" is not exclusive TO Tony. My attempt to short hand the conversation I had with my coworker was clearly unsuccessful. ha ha. There are plenty of folks who have adopted suits of armor within the hero community so for the casual reader or fair weather fan or in this particular case -- my coworker who has seen a bunch of movies, its silly to discount Riri's value simply because of the connective tissue of "genus with self constructed armor". That's a disservice to her unique character.

I thought this was one of the better 1st issues, and the art was gorgeous will definitely be buying the next one. I'm glad she starting out on her own and not being tied to Tony but I think it does show the sad state of comics that heroes can even have protege's in their books without triggering over sensitive fans. I'm also glad Marvel is sticking with Riri post Bendis, she's a great character and one that has years of complication free development ahead of her, that is something a writer can get excited about.

Our legend has gotten a second printing and is in the top 20 digital bestsellers.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...ond-printings/

https://comixology.com/comics-best-sellers

Astonishing Member

Ooh that's nice to hear.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Our legend has gotten a second printing and is in the top 20 digital bestsellers.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...ond-printings/

https://comixology.com/comics-best-sellers

Guess what "group" actually had some nice things to say about the book? Yes THAT group. Not one insult to Eve Ewing. Some praise for the action and slice of life.

Most of the comments I have seen were positive.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Guess what "group" actually had some nice things to say about the book? Yes THAT group. Not one insult to Eve Ewing. Some praise for the action and slice of life.

Most of the comments I have seen were positive.
    ....What group we're talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    ....What group we're talking about here?
    Probably the comicsgate group, but them liking Eve or what she's doing (i.e turning Riri into a generic geek girl) shouldn't be something that is looked at as a positive ...if that's the group being referred to.

BANNED

whens the next issue out?

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Probably the comicsgate group, but them liking Eve or what she's doing (i.e turning Riri into a generic geek girl) shouldn't be something that is looked at as a positive ...if that's the group being referred to.
    how is Riri being portrayed now? just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    whens the next issue out?
    January 16.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman