Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    What else? hmmmm

Aquaman was raped

Ted Kord is alive, he was a teenager but now is a guy in his late 20's or early 30's

Lobo is a metrosexual pretty boy.

good times indeed.
    Ted Kord was never a teenager. He was just youthful and hip.

The original Lobo can easily come back. Lobo was not replaced in the reboot. He was actually killed by a man who claims he is the "real" Lobo.

Amazing Member

What else? hmmmm

Aquaman was raped
    Just when I almost forgot about that damn it!

BANNED

aquaman was raped
    ...what!!?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    ...what!!?
    People are defining "having had sex with a woman who turned out not to be the person he thought she was" as rape.

Which might fall into the technical definition, but I personally think it demeans the purpose of the word to use it that way.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    ...what!!?
    Well kind of. In Bunns run, aquaman had sex with Mera... little did he know that it wasn't Mera and it was some shapeshifter pretending to be Mera... yeaah.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lameco View Post
    Well kind of. In Bunns run, aquaman had sex with Mera... little did he know that it wasn't Mera and it was some shapeshifter pretending to be Mera... yeaah.
    Yeah, that sounds like non-consensual sex to me and could be considered rape. At the very least it's creepy and uncomfortable. Let me guess, Cullen Bunn wrote it?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Which might fall into the technical definition, but I personally think it demeans the purpose of the word to use it that way.
    If it were a man turning into Aquaman to have sex with Mera, I think most people would call that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lameco View Post
    so you might say she was a catfish.
    I have no beef with Vegans

BANNED

People are defining "having had sex with a woman who turned out not to be the person he thought she was" as rape.

having sex with a person he didn't consent is rape.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I am not sure if it is important but I seem to remember earth 2 blowing up.
    Yeah, Apokolips turned Earth 2 into a new Apokolips because the original was dying or decaying or something stupid. Then Telos took his Earth and turned it into a new Earth 2 for the heroes and refugees to go to literally two months in real time after Earth 2 was destroyed, making it all ultimately pointless. Then there was a crappy story to start the new series on this Earth and I stopped reading at issue 4. I heard it got better, but I don't care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    If it were a man turning into Aquaman to have sex with Mera, I think most people would call that wrong.
    I would still call it wrong, but still think we would need to avoid calling it rape.

If I convince a woman my name is Fred and that I'm a successful rich doctor, and she sleeps with me, and then it turns out my name is Bob and I work at a gas station - is that rape?

Or rather, are we not doing a disservice to those who are violently raped by using the same word for both?

I would still call it wrong, but still think we would need to avoid calling it rape.

If I convince a woman my name is Fred and that I'm a successful rich doctor, and she sleeps with me, and then it turns out my name is Bob and I work at a gas station - is that rape?

Or rather, are we not doing a disservice to those who are violently raped by using the same word for both?
    Oookay, so Aquaman had his senses impared, his vision, hearing and sense of taste and smell were compromised and he had sex. I guess slipping a roofie in someone drink and having sex with them isn't rape either. The shapeshifter did more than lie to Aquaman, she (or he... Do we rely know?) altered his senses, possibly manipulated his brain and decision making
    Last edited by upgrayedd; 07-10-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    I have no beef with Vegans

I didn't read the story in which it happened but as described in this thread that is obviously rape. I don't even understand why it's a source of disagreement.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    Yeah, Apokolips turned Earth 2 into a new Apokolips because the original was dying or decaying or something stupid. Then Telos took his Earth and turned it into a new Earth 2 for the heroes and refugees to go to literally two months in real time after Earth 2 was destroyed, making it all ultimately pointless. Then there was a crappy story to start the new series on this Earth and I stopped reading at issue 4. I heard it got better, but I don't care.
    Damn! Did the Earth 2 story line really get that stupid? WTF happened after Robinson and Taylor left?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I didn't read the story in which it happened but as described in this thread that is obviously rape. I don't even understand why it's a source of disagreement.
    Well don't go by upgrayedd's description. Siren disguised herself as Mera and had sex with Aquaman. That's it.

As I've said, it might technically be rape, but I think if Arthur was in some sort of therapy group with a woman who was actually held down and violently raped, and he said he could feel her pain, she would tell him to go eff himself.

At least with statutory rape we have some additional word in there to indicate that it's not really the same thing. "identity" rape or some term like that would need to be invented.