Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "All-Star Batman's" Snyder, Romita Say Two-Face Reflects the Evil Inside Us All

Scott Snyder & John Romita, Jr. explain why Two-Face is a perfect villain for their DC series and what it's like to give Batman a grindhouse vibe.

Full article here.

Please, no more Bat-Maniac. I want to see a non-Punisher Batman.
    So what's Two Face 2.0 supposed to be about now? Does he have powers? Is his personality (personalities) still the same? If he's not a gang boss anymore, then what's his power base?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Scott has a great vision for Two-Face:
    Our version of Two-Face is really dark, and I guess the new version in continuity is also this way, who has this terrible eye in the damaged side of his face. It's this bloody, red, almost devilish eye and he looks out at the world and says, "I see the monstrous side of you that you don't want to admit exists." He's responsible for a lot of crime in Gotham but he's not a big gang boss. He's more of a lone wolf. What he does is he uses all of the mechanisms that Harvey Dent puts in place to track crime to exploit the system and make it easier. He wants you to indulge that evil side of yourself that you don't want to admit exists and he wants you to see the side of yourself that you don't like to look at in the mirror. He wants you to flip the internal coin that you have. He loves that about human nature. He wants people to be two-faced. He thinks that how we are evolving.

Boo on this though:
    Q: Let's finish with some housekeeping questions: Is this the Two-Face from Peter [Tomasi]'s and Patrick [Gleason]'s "Batman and Robin" run? And is this story set in DCU continuity?

Snyder: It is the same. I am a huge fan of what they did with Two-Face. So yes, the big elements of that character are here. And there is a reference in the second issue as to how he survived what happened to him in that story. It's not going to pick up any of those threads but it is Two-Face in-continuity. Everything about this book is in continuity.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

I hope Two-Face doesn't repeat that paragraph word for word in one long speech. Curious to see who these 5 bosses are, based on Snyder's ow work I assume Black Mask, Penguin, Scarface and Great White Shark are the 4 bosses which leaves the fifth. This could be Dent himself and I do hope Snyder doesn't job all the assassin/hitmen characters that will show up, I believe KGbeast, Cheshire, Black Spider etc were confirmed on his twitter. Normally I wouldn't be concerned but Scott has jobbed multiple villains more than once. Batman#1, DOTF, Endgame and arguably #52 were just poor showing for the villains utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Scott has a great vision for Two-Face:
    Hmm, isn't this "Embrace your evil side" take on Two-Face very Joker-esque? Snyder is great but he does tend to paint most of his villains in a very Joker-y shade. I hope he manages to clearly distinguish Harvey from Joker. Still excited for the book.

BANNED

Here's a tidbit from a rama interview

. Every villain is going to turn out for this. Anyone that wants to go from B-list to A-list, anyone that's just a person on the street who wants to secretly get all the money in the world

Please please dont job these guys Scott.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

"Our version of Two-Face is really dark, and I guess the new version in continuity is also this way, who has this terrible eye in the damaged side of his face. It's this bloody, red, almost devilish eye and he looks out at the world and says, "I see the monstrous side of you that you don't want to admit exists." He's responsible for a lot of crime in Gotham but he's not a big gang boss. He's more of a lone wolf. What he does is he uses all of the mechanisms that Harvey Dent puts in place to track crime to exploit the system and make it easier. He wants you to indulge that evil side of yourself that you don't want to admit exists and he wants you to see the side of yourself that you don't like to look at in the mirror. He wants you to flip the internal coin that you have. He loves that about human nature. He wants people to be two-faced. He thinks that how we are evolving."

Hah, this paragraph made me laugh. If you ever wanted to describe Snyder's writing style to someone this could be a monologue from one of his villains

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    If he's not a gang boss anymore, then what's his power base?
    Scott is saying he's more a information broker and less a gang boss. If he has a crew, it's probably smaller and maybe he doesn't use it all the time and is more hands on. Thus, he's more a lone wolf and not a Penguin. Loeb mostly played Two-Face as a lone wolf type too, him acting like he's apart or above the other villains.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-07-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

That cover still blows
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I hope Two-Face doesn't repeat that paragraph word for word in one long speech. Curious to see who these 5 bosses are, based on Snyder's ow work I assume Black Mask, Penguin, Scarface and Great White Shark are the 4 bosses which leaves the fifth. This could be Dent himself and I do hope Snyder doesn't job all the assassin/hitmen characters that will show up, I believe KGbeast, Cheshire, Black Spider etc were confirmed on his twitter. Normally I wouldn't be concerned but Scott has jobbed multiple villains more than once. Batman#1, DOTF, Endgame and arguably #52 were just poor showing for the villains utilized.
    I'm sure Scott found 5 to be deemed bosses given the infamous 5 families of NY'Cs past & popular history. I don't mind villains being jobbed now & then. It's happened forever in Batman comics and media. Joker's even been jobbed and it hasn't hurt him. You just need to balance it all out...Two-Face has been jobbed before, but he's gonna get his big threat story here in All-Star.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-08-2016 at 05:52 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    That cover still blows
    LOL. Yeah, I like covers that are dynamic. I don't like covers with characters just posing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Well I'm excited. Been waiting to see more of Snyder's take on Two-Face for a while now (and Hatter and Harley and Ivy and Croc and just about every other villain there is). But, God, I just hope Harvey isn't there just to monologue about how symbolic he is. That'll really kill it for me (the same way Bloom's constant preaching completely killed Super-heavy). But, yeah, excited.

Agreed about the cover though. It's like, congratulations Batman, you've got a new toy. Now use it!

I'm excited for AS Batman! Looking forward to Bat's and Harv's cross country trek.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

I doubt Snyder will dramatically change his writing style that has won him much success. I like his monologues, I like his vain self-important villains, thinking they're this or that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The appeal of Two-Face to me has always been that he reflects the struggle of evil and good within all of us, not just the evil. Harvey's usually just a generic psycho whenever writers overlook his good half.