Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Everyone else on the League wasn't as close to him as she was. The only one who comes close is Batman and he's just as devastated as she is. But different people process pain differently.
    Yet somehow Batman managed to loose Damian and in the JL book there was zero reaction or change to the fact he had just lost his son... nor was there any reaction in any of the other Batman books outside Batman & Robin.

So why does Diana have to be the one to throw a fit over loosing an ex-boyfriend?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Yet somehow Batman managed to loose Damian and in the JL book there was zero reaction or change to the fact he had just lost his son... nor was there any reaction in any of the other Batman books outside Batman & Robin.

So why does Diana have to be the one to throw a fit over loosing an ex-boyfriend?
    Well there was a Requiem Bat line crossover, Batman INC,Nightwing and Snyders Clayface arc to deal with Damian's death and there was a reference in Batwoman too. But yeah I dont disagree, Diana isn't an actual person whether she chooses to mourn or not is up to the writer and in this case the JL writer seems like he couldn't come up with anything else for her. They should have just published SM/WW for 2 issues exclusively about her mourning him, JL isn't the place for that.

BANNED

THIS. it's a ex-boyfriend that she already was over it for gods sake.

Sexism is have a room with bunch of guys acting ok with loss, and only the girl is mourning. but women are more emotional right?

I don't think smww issues with wonder woman mouring would be any good, it would be far more ridiculous. the guy treated her like crap, she was alrady over him. Let her get out of the relationshipon a higher note with dignity

Incredible Member

Then again.One could say that's not a really a goodthing.
    Something like the death of his son should effect him no matter what book he's in.It only being address in one book kind of makes the writers look like they're not being very consistent.
    Last edited by Baseman; 07-09-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Ugh...I hate when Diana's written like this.

Engaging in ultra-violence while delivering an awkwardly written, robot-like lecture about peace. The, "I don't actually know anything about Wonder Woman as a character, so I'm going to default to broad labels and stereotypes" approach. I'm a little shocked she uses a contraction.

Swords...shields...I don't even want to know what the deal with her stupid lightning bolt thing is. Bleh.

Incredible Member

1. Batman’s grieving process is being batman, I mean we’ve all seen his origin surely. Rather than using his money logically seeing a psychiatrist and speaking about his issues he dresses as a bat and uses bat themed weapons to KO criminals in Gotham.
    2. Damien was never featured in the justice league comic while both superman and their relationship was so naturally it would feature in this book just as the books that Damien featured in had batman in the grieving process over the death of his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    There are some interesting tidbits to note ... she calls herself "an Amazon Princess" does this mean Hippolyta is back or that someone else is now Queen? She is still carrying the thunderbolt of Zeus, does this mean the Olympians are still gone from this plane of existence? She's fighting Russian soldiers again, does this mean our white-washed Dr. Poison might be back in the mix? Inquiring minds want to know
    Maybe, the mysterious Jason is king of Paradise Island. Maybe, he'll fill in for Big Blue for awhile, ..and maybe, he'll be Russian. Otherwise don't expect to see him or Hippolyta, until sometime, next year.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-10-2016 at 02:39 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Ugh...I hate when Diana's written like this.

Engaging in ultra-violence while delivering an awkwardly written, robot-like lecture about peace. The, "I don't actually know anything about Wonder Woman as a character, so I'm going to default to broad labels and stereotypes" approach. I'm a little shocked she uses a contraction.

Swords...shields...I don't even want to know what the deal with her stupid lightning bolt thing is. Bleh.
    its writers not understanding her character so they think making a character violent is giving her depth

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    its writers not understanding her character so they think making a character violent is giving her depth
    I gotta ask. How is she violent in this preview?

She's made it clear that she has attempted to resolve this conflict (whatever it is) peacefully. Clearly her opponents have pushed her beyond her tolerance and now she's using stronger methods against them. She hasn't killed anyone (as far as we can see.) She isn't frothing at the mouth and screaming with rage. She's made it clear that whoever she's fighting has basically brought this conflict upon themselves. That's not violent. Not needlessly so, anyway.

Unless the story reveals that Diana's idea of "negotiations" involved one half-hearted platitude about peace, followed immediately with a violent response, then there's no reason to assume she's being written improperly.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I gotta ask. How is she violent in this preview?

She's made it clear that she has attempted to resolve this conflict (whatever it is) peacefully. Clearly her opponents have pushed her beyond her tolerance and now she's using stronger methods against them. She hasn't killed anyone (as far as we can see.) She isn't frothing at the mouth and screaming with rage. She's made it clear that whoever she's fighting has basically brought this conflict upon themselves. That's not violent. Not needlessly so, anyway.

Unless the story reveals that Diana's idea of "negotiations" involved one half-hearted platitude about peace, followed immediately with a violent response, then there's no reason to assume she's being written improperly.
    she just threw a tank at them. thats violent, whether justified or not, writers default to utilizing violence in stories even if they are trying to talk about how she prefers non violence. its that sort of postmodern joss whendon type of writing where you recognize a problem in story but you do nothing to resolve it as a writer. instead of writing stories that would emphasize the importance and utility of non violence over violence they purposely write stories where Diana has to use violence and while theres nothing wrong in writing some situations like that it makes very little sense to even emphasize points of a character if you arent going to use that approach with how you write them and their story. every story now a days is diana using violence, solving conflicts through violence to up the ante or just a general part of her character. granted this is a justice league book so they kinda just change large bits of characters to make them all fit into this mold so im not too mad about it but it is something worth noting imo

BANNED

she just threw a tank at them.
    It IS a superhero story. Superheroes do that kind of thing all the time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It IS a superhero story. Superheroes do that kind of thing all the time.
    I'm aware and I addressed that in my response to vangaurd

she just threw a tank at them. thats violent, whether justified or not, writers default to utilizing violence in stories even if they are trying to talk about how she prefers non violence. its that sort of postmodern joss whendon type of writing where you recognize a problem in story but you do nothing to resolve it as a writer. instead of writing stories that would emphasize the importance and utility of non violence over violence they purposely write stories where Diana has to use violence and while theres nothing wrong in writing some situations like that it makes very little sense to even emphasize points of a character if you arent going to use that approach with how you write them and their story. every story now a days is diana using violence, solving conflicts through violence to up the ante or just a general part of her character. granted this is a justice league book so they kinda just change large bits of characters to make them all fit into this mold so im not too mad about it but it is something worth noting imo
    There's a problem with that.

People buy JL to see their favorite comic characters team up and beat the crap out of something, and Wonder Woman is one of them. Mr. Azzarello tried to do a low-violence WW, and it was AGONIZING to read. I don't think there are enough people, who'd want to read the comic that you're imagining, to justify printing it...

And that's sad.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There's a problem with that.

People buy JL to see their favorite comic characters team up and beat the crap out of something, and Wonder Woman is one of them. Mr. Azzarello tried to do a low-violence WW, and it was AGONIZING to read. I don't think there are enough people, who'd want to read the comic that you're imagining, to justify printing it...

And that's sad.
    I know thats why people buy JL comics i even admit that those characters usually arent the characters but some contrived version to make them all work together but that doesnt make the characterization any less grating. I think Azzarello's run was agonizing for other reasons and i do believe people would read a non violent ww story if the writer did it well. Also, while i clearly am not a fan of his run, Azzarello did do pretty well critically so Im guessing the non violence wasnt too much of a problem for the readers not that id honestly consider their opinions if they did have a problem with it.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 07-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.

I know thats why people buy JL comics i even admit that those characters usually arent the characters but some contrived version to make them all work together but that doesnt make the characterization any less grating. I think Azzarello's run was agonizing for other reasons and i do believe people would read a non violent ww story if the writer did it well. Also, while i clearly am not a fan of his run, Azzarello did do pretty well critically so Im guessing the non violence wasnt too much of a problem for the readers not that id honestly consider their opinions if they did have a problem with it.
    Critics aren't readers, and I seriously doubt any large number of regular fans want to read a chatty, preachy WW title, month after month. Maybe, as a secondary digital series, it could enjoy some moderate success. How about a Vertigo title?

WW could be the first DC superhero to have a Vertigo series and a regular DCU title.