Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think you might be reading more into this image than what's there. There's nothing particularly "left wing" about any of it. And where are you seeing identity politics in this illustration? It's just a story spinning out of Marvel's latest event
    I haven't said that there's anything politically left or right in the image. What I'm saying, answering to someone that obviously implies that he has a right/conservative leaning that I have an extreme left leaning politically, especially with what Americans consider it left wing in the US and that I'm sick of getting sold an idea about Carol, about how huge and such a big deal she is for the Marvel Universe and I just not feeling it. What I'm saying answering that question that you misinterpreted my answer is that I'm sick of Carol getting portrayed the way she has been lately and I'd rather theM SHOWING ME why she matters, not saying to me how huge of a big deal she is for the Marvel Universe. My whole point is that as someone with left progressive views, I really dislike what has been done for the character lately other than getting the Captain Marvel name and the creation of Ms. Marvel, which is a great character. What I'm saying is that Carol needs to earn her role as Marvel's flagship superheroine, not get enforced.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I haven't said that there's anything politically left or right in the image. What I'm saying, answering to someone that obviously implies that he has a right/conservative leaning that I have an extreme left leaning politically, especially with what Americans consider it left wing in the US and that I'm sick of getting sold an idea about Carol, about how huge and such a big deal she is for the Marvel Universe and I just not feeling it. What I'm saying answering that question that you misinterpreted my answer is that I'm sick of Carol getting portrayed the way she has been lately and I'd rather theM SHOWING ME why she matters, not saying to me how huge of a big deal she is for the Marvel Universe. My whole point is that as someone with left progressive views, I really dislike what has been done for the character lately other than getting the Captain Marvel name and the creation of Ms. Marvel, which is a great character. What I'm saying is that Carol needs to earn her role as Marvel's flagship superheroine, not get enforced.
    As someone with a combination of left/right politics, I want Carol to have an arc where she earns that right too. The question is how. KSD having her romp around with Space Cat didn't help. The current run has made her quite boring. And this new run comes after her possibly killing Tony Stark and with her being enforced as popular in-universe, and I don't see how this will help her become popular outside it.

It may require the film to give Carol a spark of life and a direction for the comics to copy. Which may very well spell the end of the comics as a major influence on the films, and instead downgrade them further into being a mere IP factory.

Invincible Member

I think you misinterpeted my post...I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to Fuse. He was the one going on about "left wing identity politics"

Having said that, I think Carol actually isn't Marvel's flagship superheroine. I think a better case can be made for Sue Richards and Storm or maybe Black Widow at this point. I like the character but she's never been all that popular. And despite the relaunches, Marvel hasn't really done all that much to convince anyone that she is. Female Thor and Ms Marvel got more media coverage and even Silk got a blurb on network TV. Where was all this support and promotion for Carol?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    As someone with a combination of left/right politics, I want Carol to have an arc where she earns that right too. The question is how. KSD having her romp around with Space Cat didn't help. The current run has made her quite boring. And this new run comes after her possibly killing Tony Stark and with her being enforced as popular in-universe, and I don't see how this will help her become popular outside it.

It may require the film to give Carol a spark of life and a direction for the comics to copy. Which may very well spell the end of the comics as a major influence on the films, and instead downgrade them further into being a mere IP factory.
    Some folks would argue that we're already at that point

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The so-called "Carol Corps" must be plenty damn deep since the creative teams keep changing every six months or so, or rather, with every relaunch of the book. I've never read it myself as the character was never all that interesting to me, meanwhile, the notion of Carol being Marvel's flagship female character is borderline ludicrous. I'm of the belief that Storm, Susan Richards, She-Thor or even Black Widow have more gravitas at present.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

I have very strong lef-leaning identity politics. I don't think making her a feminist is boring. Angela is a very feminist and LGBT friendly comic and I love it to death. But this... this is boring. Boring as hell. In universe fame that doesn't really translates to reality just seems hillariously forced. Marvel is trying WAY too hard. Give me out of her luck militant feminist Carol with very strong left-leaning commentary and it can be fun. Give me Carol fighting for her ideals and not just being a symbol that everyone loves. Give me SOMETHING Marvel so I can care. I love me some politics in my comics. But this cover and everything about Carol lately just rubs me the wrong idea. I see the idea of Carol here, the idea of a famous Carol with two sides arguing it over and just... ugh. The girl that is holding her poster on the left. Can she be Captain Marvel? Or anything? Can any of these dudes be Captain Marvel? I'm just tired of selling me an idea of how important Carol is and I'm not really feeling anything but eye rolls with Marvel missing the mark at just everything lately.
    It speaks volumes that they can't even resonate with you as the target demographic. I commend you for being forthright in your attitudes toward the title and the obvious tryhard approach Marvel publishing has had since Carol got Steve Wacker'd.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think you misinterpeted my post...I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to Fuse. He was the one going on about "left wing identity politics"

Having said that, I think Carol actually isn't Marvel's flagship superheroine. I think a better case can be made for Sue Richards and Storm or maybe Black Widow at this point. I like the character but she's never been all that popular. And despite the relaunches, Marvel hasn't really done all that much to convince anyone that she is. Female Thor and Ms Marvel got more media coverage and even Silk got a blurb on network TV. Where was all this support and promotion for Carol?
    I don't think there's an argument for Sue anymore, although I think she once was. I would argue same with Storm, who certainly was ten years ago. Black Widow is plausible, but she only finally got her own ongoing, while Carol has had one since House of M and has had substantive roles in more events, imo.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Perfect team. Super happy. <3
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!