Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I... I just can't get into this The last creative team didn't even get a full year and barely got any time to do their own thing (hell, they didn't even last half a year). I cant' invest my time into this new series when there's no reason for me to believe that the same thing won't happen again.

I can't Marvel... so no thank you.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 07-08-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

They just keep revamping Captain Marvel and each version of the book seems like its own thing.

When will they use elements of the most sucessful version of the character to date: the Brian Reed run?

Even if it meana going back to the Cockrum costume , The Lightning Squad and Carol having Norman Osborne and Moonstone as arch enemies.

If there's only ever been one commercially sucessful version of Carol you would think the way forward would be somewhat obvious.

BANNED

I'll call this potentially good news. I've really disliked this series, I'd consider it my least favourite Carol series of all time, so even though I've never heard of either of the new team I'll almost certainly give it a try.

I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping we could keep the Gages after CW2. But I will probably stay with the title so long as the old school Alpha Flight members don't get pushed out by the new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping we could keep the Gages after CW2. But I will probably stay with the title so long as the old school Alpha Flight members don't get pushed out by the new faces.
    I doubt they'll kick out the old school members of Alpha Flight, that would be a dumb move as I liked their interactions with Carol in this last series (it had been one of the best things in that series)

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah if the Gages were writing I'd read, otherwise I have no interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I doubt they'll kick out the old school members of Alpha Flight, that would be a dumb move as I liked their interactions with Carol in this last series (it had been one of the best things in that series)
    I'm not so concerned that they'll be kicked out so much as sidelined. When you've only got 20 pages to work with and start adding new characters, something has to give. And I really don't want to read yet another series where my faves get treated as nothing more than wallpaper. But I'll give it a chance.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Will they keep relaunching Captain Marvel every year?
    Expected I guess.

Let me guess though, Spider-Woman who gets slightly more sales is cancelled but Captain Marvel gets relaunched? Really hoping I'm wrong.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. How many times has Carol been relaunched and rebranded since becoming Captain Marvel?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The more I think about Marvel NOW based on what we learn, the more OK I'm with it, but this book's relaunch rubs me the wrong way. Basically, from what I can tell, it's not going to be a Marvel-wide relaunch. Some books are getting shaken up with a new status quo and when they get a new status quo, they get a new issue one. In fact, for the most part, they get a new title as well - Invincible Iron Man --> All-New Iron Man, International Iron Man --> Infamous Iron Man, All-New All-Different Avengers --> Champions, New Avengers --> US Avengers.

This book seems the outlier to all of that. It's not getting retitled. It's changing writers, but it changed writers once already for Civil War II. Yes, CW changed the status quo, but is it going to completely change it? Is she no longer the first line of defense in space? If that's so, that's a real shame because I don't think the book went on nearly long enough to get its footing. It had one opening arc that was promising. If it's going to keep the same status quo, that's better but, once again, why the renumbering? I'm not saying relaunches are bad. I just want the books to find a voice first.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Holy hell, the whining about relaunches pisses me off. "Wah! Why can't I have issue #10 0000 of a series!" Come on. The number on the cover is that big a deal to you? Really? Really? Really. Ridiculous.

As for this, I'm interested. I thought Stohl's Black Widow novel was pretty good, I like Captain Marvel as a character, Rosanas' art is pretty good. I'll pick this series up. I just hope Stohl sticks around for more than just the first arc.
    It's got nothing to do with the numbers on the cover. It's about consistency.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Niffleheim

I've tried all her runs since she became Captain Marvel and they have all been boring. The current one at least had Alpha Flight to keep my interest but even that couldn't sustain it.

Spectacular Member

I haven't read anything by the writer, so I hope she's good. But man...I really wish they were keeping Kris Anka on the book.

I'm not a fan of the reason it's being relaunched, being the new status quo, which doesn't seem like a new status quo at all but character development that would have seemingly already happened by now. Wasn't a big factor in even the DeConnick run that she became popular after a while? If you go too far with that, it becomes Navel Gazing. That book avoided it by having Carol be in space the majority of the time. This, it seems, will not.

In addition, the premise is extremely similar to an arc in the last Ms. Marvel run, an arc which they had the foresight to only make last three issues. It's not something that can sustain a whole book for an incredibly long time. Also, when a character is going through the exact same story lines as her teenage sidekick but a year later, it starts to bring into question who is the actual adult within the story. (Which come to think of it would be an interesting story, just not for this set of characters.)

Extraordinary Member

ANOTHER relaunch ffs?

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    It's got nothing to do with the numbers on the cover. It's about consistency.
    Yeah, you're reading a book, getting into a groove, then BAM! Relaunch. Okay, no problem, you roll with it, get into another groove then BAM! Relaunch again, you feel a little disheartened, but keep going, then BAM, BAM, BAM. It's frustrating. I accept that long runs aren't really a thing anymore but these relaunches are frustrating.

I like Captain Marvel, so I'll continue to read it, as long as it's good.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington