Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

I'm with George Takei.

Screw you, Zachary! D:<

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    It's kinda undercut by the widespread knowledge that he was played by a gay activist.

While I understand and respect George's viewpoint, I ultimately feel that it's a stronger choice to have the existing character be gay, as it's harder to marginalize or ignore. (For example, I wouldn't have a problem with Kirk being more omnisexual...). And, frankly, there's very little to retcon in Sulu's appearances. What's being changed is in the audience's perceptions, not the text itself.

Except his orientation was sort of an open secret since the 70s and he didn't officially announce it until 2005.

I've been thinking about all the series and while each one had at least one black character:

3 (TOS, VOY, ENT) have had 1 Asian character [some might think I'm forgetting Keiko O'Brien (Rosalind Chao) but she was never bumped up to main character status and Guinan has probably had more screen time than she has had]

1 Native American [Did Chakotay ever call himself that? Is that what they still called themselves in the 24th Century or did they go by their tribe name?]

(0 Latinos)

(0 Pacific Islanders/Alaskans)
    -----------------------------------------------

I wonder if Takei is a little more protective of Sulu since Sulu might be considered a cultural role model in the Asian community. Nichelle Nichols has told the story of how Martin Luther King convinced her to stay with the show because Uhura was such a positive role model for the black community in a time when most black character s in the 60s were either maids or chauffeurs. The same could be with the Sulu character, a positive role model at a time where most Asian characters where maids, houseboys or stereotypes. And Takei (given his personal history) might consider himself a Japanese-American first and a gay man second.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Why did they make the asian man gay, why not any of the other caucasian characters?
    The official reasoning is that of the TOS crew, Sulu was among those with the least character and background fleshed out, which left room for development. It also got the support of Justin Lin, who himself is a pretty supportive ally of the queer Asian American community.

Personally? I'd like to think they're all at least bi and we just haven't seen it yet. What evidence do I have? Absolutely nothing.

Riker, on the other hand, to me seems to be the type of guy who would give a coy smile if you asked him if he ever got it on with men.

They have 5 straight white caucasian men which they could have modified for diversity (if that's what they were going for), instead they target the asian?
    The fact that you just phrased it as "target the Asian" speaks for itself in this case.

"Target the Asian" You say that like it's some kind of insult to make the Asian character gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Riker, on the other hand, to me seems to be the type of guy who would give a coy smile if you asked him if he ever got it on with men.
    I always thought this too, ha.

Fantastic Member

Mr Takei was just talking about the creator's vision when the much more important subject of the utter absence of LGBT people in Star Trek somehow completely went over his head. That IS something to be disapointed in.
    It isn't "more important" when writing fiction - just like, just because "global warming is important" doesn't mean the movie you write has to include global warning and that's "more important" than getting a character right.

Fiction, especially on the entertainment side of things, isn't purely a vessel for important political messages - nor should it be, or will it ever be.
    Important messages and causes can, in fact, be entirely disregarded - in favor of aesthetical choices, or just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Standardon-Nameaux View Post
    It isn't "more important" when writing fiction - just like, just because "global warming is important" doesn't mean the movie you write has to include global warning and that's "more important" than getting a character right.

Fiction, especially on the entertainment side of things, isn't purely a vessel for important political messages - nor should it be, or will it ever be.
    Important messages and causes can, in fact, be entirely disregarded - in favor of aesthetical choices, or just because.
    Star Trek makes social and political points all the time, but they've somehow avoided LGBT characters for decades, with a few exceptions. It's not as if evil mirror universe Kira being a bisexual and wanting to bang herself is at all helpful to gay causes.

Once and for all, Star Trek fans, quit trying to rationalize the exclusion of LGBT characters in a franchise that's almost always touching on important topics such as race, gender, politics, religion, and the environment, because you don't have a leg to stand on.

Fantastic Member

Eh - as long as it's just negligence and not malice I don't care much.

Point remains, had those at the helm thought like Takei and prioritized "character authenticity" over either actor references or "advancing the LGBT cause", there wouldn't have been anything wrong with it.

The idea hat "LGBT issues are a more important issue than character authenticity" doesn't fly - it's a real-world issue and as such objectively more important than the artistic choices of an artwork... but within the context of the artwork, they aren't.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

It's a shame all this seems to be overshadowing that this film should be a tribute to Anton Yelchin who recently died.It gonna feel sad watching Chekov on the screen knowing he's not around anymore and this was his last Star Trek film.

Extraordinary Member

I get the sarcasm but Sulu is already a minority - why make him a minority within a minority? Why not have the Urban and Pegg characters join Sulu as a minority? They have 5 straight white caucasian men which they could have modified for diversity (if that's what they were going for), instead they target the asian?
    Plus there's already a preferred couple in the Fans minds

Also isn't there a unwritten rule about getting the blessing from the original cast like they did with Nimoy and Shatner?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Except his orientation was sort of an open secret since the 70s and he didn't officially announce it until 2005.

I've been thinking about all the series and while each one had at least one black character:

3 (TOS, VOY, ENT) have had 1 Asian character [some might think I'm forgetting Keiko O'Brien (Rosalind Chao) but she was never bumped up to main character status and Guinan has probably had more screen time than she has had]

1 Native American [Did Chakotay ever call himself that? Is that what they still called themselves in the 24th Century or did they go by their tribe name?]

(0 Latinos)

(0 Pacific Islanders/Alaskans)
    -----------------------------------------------

I wonder if Takei is a little more protective of Sulu since Sulu might be considered a cultural role model in the Asian community. Nichelle Nichols has told the story of how Martin Luther King convinced her to stay with the show because Uhura was such a positive role model for the black community in a time when most black character s in the 60s were either maids or chauffeurs. The same could be with the Sulu character, a positive role model at a time where most Asian characters where maids, houseboys or stereotypes. And Takei (given his personal history) might consider himself a Japanese-American first and a gay man second.

The Actress playing Keiko didn't want a larger role.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post

Also isn't there a unwritten rule about getting the blessing from the original cast like they did with Nimoy and Shatner?
    No? I doubt they were gonna change plans because one guy not involved with the movie in any way said he didn't like it.