Super Moderator

Default Stan Lee Launches New Superhero Franchise "Nitron"

The legendary Marvel creator will partner with Benaroya Pictures to develop multimedia products based on the new comic.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The legendary Marvel creator will partner with Benaroya Pictures to develop multimedia products based on the new comic.

Full article here.
    I can't say that any of Stan Lee's post-Marvel work has been very good (though I enjoyed the Rift World novels), so I don't have high hopes for this.

Sandy Hausler

All-New Member

While this does sound a bit interesting, part of me wants Stan Lee to write one more short series featuring new characters in the Marvel Universe. Let the guy who essentially started it all create one more character...

DocDowns

Stan Lee is probably the luckiest guy in comics. He is almost deified as a comic God while he is one of the worst writers ever. Everything he writes is corny as hell. This was ok in the 50s but now it just seems sad. I know he had a hand in creating some of the greatest characters in the world but his contribution was minimal, it's the image of the characters people know. That was Jack Kirbys genius that really created them. If it was his writing alone these characters would never have made it. None of the modern creations he has come up with have caught on. The new creations he's now launching will either never come out or if they do they will disappear in a short while.
    Last edited by DocDowns; 07-20-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Does he ever stop with this garbage? Will he put his name on anything for a buck? He's pathetic.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Chakra's pretty fun.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Let's hope he hasn't sold off the Marvel Universe again.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDowns View Post
    Stan Lee is probably the luckiest guy in comics. He is almost deified as a comic God while he is one of the worst writers ever. Everything he writes is corny as hell. This was ok in the 50s but now it just seems sad. I know he had a hand in creating some of the greatest characters in the world but his contribution was minimal, it's the image of the characters people know. That was Jack Kirbys genius that really created them. If it was his writing alone these characters would never have made it. None of the modern creations he has come up with have caught on. The new creations he's now launching will either never come out or if they do they will disappear in a short while.
    Sorry. Not buying the Jack Kirby did it all theory. He as a great artist and idea man, but he did not write the early Marvel classics. Just read his work for DC in the 1970s. It does not read like the FF issues he drew. That was Stan's genius. Sure Stan's writing is not as sophisticated as a Neil Gaiman, but it was good solid writing, and people enjoyed it.

Sandy Hausler

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Sorry. Not buying the Jack Kirby did it all theory. He as a great artist and idea man, but he did not write the early Marvel classics. Just read his work for DC in the 1970s. It does not read like the FF issues he drew. That was Stan's genius. Sure Stan's writing is not as sophisticated as a Neil Gaiman, but it was good solid writing, and people enjoyed it.

Sandy Hausler
    Again as Stan has admited much of the work load had to be farmed out early on as the roster of titles grew. He seemed happy to give credit where credit was due and the stuff everybody wrote back then was aimed at a juvenile audience. Boom Studios seemed to be the best bet but those titles fizzled when the big crossover occurred. He had some top notch talent backing him on those books too. Darn you for putting a Lee / Gaiman collaboration into my head.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Chakra's pretty fun.
    I agree. Not familiar with much else of his, or with his name on it, recently, though.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Again as Stan has admited much of the work load had to be farmed out early on as the roster of titles grew. He seemed happy to give credit where credit was due and the stuff everybody wrote back then was aimed at a juvenile audience. Boom Studios seemed to be the best bet but those titles fizzled when the big crossover occurred. He had some top notch talent backing him on those books too. Darn you for putting a Lee / Gaiman collaboration into my head.
    I don't think that Stan has ever said that he didn't write the work that appeared under his name. Any support for that statement? (Which is not to say that you're wrong; I just don't know (or think) that you're right.)

Sandy Hausler

Mighty Member

I don't think that Stan has ever said that he didn't write the work that appeared under his name. Any support for that statement? (Which is not to say that you're wrong; I just don't know (or think) that you're right.)

Sandy Hausler
    I believe more recent interviews with Kevin Smith possibly connected to Comic Book Guys which was on the web had Stan talking about this. Wish I could send you a direct link. Obviously back in the day you would never have heard this sort of thing from him. Of course we are only talking credit not real money. Work for hire being what it is. When you think about it though as the title roster grew more work had to be farmed out. That doesn't mean he wasn't still writing a lot himself or that stuff appeared under his name totally written by someone else. The bottom line was guys writing comics who primarily read comics unlike the older generation of pulp and noir writers. It's analogous to 40's and 50's sci fi writers much of which is totally unreadable now however well read they may have been in other topics. Hope I haven't steered you wrong.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocDowns View Post
    I think you are right here and Hausler misunderstood your point. Yes people do remember the classic look that Kirby created as much if not more so than the often derivative storylines and characters Stan wrote. That doesn't dismiss what Stan did as writer either. Basically you have to enjoy both contributions as a product of their time. To me Stan's greatest achievement was as editor and running the business end of things which seems to typify what he started with the Boom Studios characters working as idea man with good creative teams . Unfortunately that whole project fizzled for whatever reason and seems to be the pattern since. Does the aftermath of Boom, POW entertainment still exist? Some of this was going on during the legal action he had to take at that time. By the same token his editorial shortcomings surfaced during the 90's comics collapse with titles that at the time were too old school in concept and were targeted to a youth market that had jumped to video games. Speculators were the final nail in the coffin but not Stan's fault.
    Last edited by alton; 07-24-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I think you are right here and Hausler misunderstood your point. Yes people do remember the classic look that Kirby created as much if not more so than the often derivative storylines and characters Stan wrote. That doesn't dismiss what Stan did as writer either. Basically you have to enjoy both contributions as a product of their time. To me Stan's greatest achievement was as editor and running the business end of things which seems to typify what he started with the Boom Studios characters working as idea man with good creative teams . Unfortunately that whole project fizzled for whatever reason and seems to be the pattern since. Does the aftermath of Boom, POW entertainment still exist? Some of this was going on during the legal action he had to take at that time. By the same token his editorial shortcomings surfaced during the 90's comics collapse with titles that at the time were too old school in concept and were targeted to a youth market that had jumped to video games. Speculators were the final nail in the coffin but not Stan's fault.
    i won't disagree that I misunderstood DocDowns' point (though I don't think I did), but Stan had a hand (and, in some cases, the primary hand) in creating some of Marvel's most iconic characters. I would say that that is his most important contribution to Marvel. I do agree that his knack for public relations was also a great asset to Marvel.

Sandy Hausler

Mighty Member

i won't disagree that I misunderstood DocDowns' point (though I don't think I did), but Stan had a hand (and, in some cases, the primary hand) in creating some of Marvel's most iconic characters. I would say that that is his most important contribution to Marvel. I do agree that his knack for public relations was also a great asset to Marvel.

Sandy Hausler
    You are right here Sandy and don't get me wrong I appreciate what Stan and others did at Marvel especially the long and slow rebuild of the brand after the 90's collapse both in print and multi media. Public Relations alone in these latter years of Marvel have been a asset but I don't like the flac he gets for current projects. He has the right to do what the hell he wants and I think from what I'm hearing about Chakra that I'll have to check it out . If the Boom Studios project fires up again I'd be on board.I'm signing off here because the thread was really about Nitron which I haven't seen yet.
    Last edited by alton; 07-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.