Default Uncanny Avengers-Remender vs Duggan.

These guys are the only ones who have written the team in an ongoing that I know of. I tried to get into Remender's run, but it was just too dark and bleak for me to enjoy. I loved the team lineup, but a lot of them felt like missed potential (Wasp especially, it felt like her and Havok just got together for the sake of it). Great art from Cassaday, Coipel, Mcniven, and Acuna though.

The miniseries was BORING to me, though. Love the art but it felt like nothing more than an excuse to justify the dumb Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver parentage retcon.

I sort of skimmed through Gerry Duggan's first volume from the ANAD relaunch and thought it was ok, the roster feels just kind of thrown together though, and not much of a direction. Does it get better?

Either way, I'm curious to see which writer's tenure on the book is held in higher regard. I think it's a great concept for a team book, because it shows the avengers do in fact care for mutants and want to cooperate with them, but the execution hasn't really wowed me yet. Is there a writer who you think would be a good fit for the book and would like to take over?

Mighty Member

I felt Remender had some really interesting and compelling plot ideas, but also had a lot of character missteps.

Duggans character moments ring truer, but his plot lines are a lot less memorable and he doesn't really even bother trying to flesh out half of the roster. Like at least everybody did something in remender's Uncanny, while I'm still wondering why half of the roster is even there in Duggans.

I'd say Remenders was better so far.

They felt bigger and more Avenger-y. Not that Duggans is bad... but Remenders felt more epic.

Mighty Member

Remender's UA was a lot like his Uncanny X-Force. Brilliant until he hit his big moment, then falling into nonsense and horror afterward. UXF was amazing until he finished Dark Angel Saga. Everything after that is garbage. His UA isn't quite as good, but it's really solid, right up until he finishes his Apocalypse Twins story. Afterwards he checked out. Seriously, AXIS and everything about it, plus the second volume of his UA are both godawful.

Duggan has a much more interesting cast, but seems less likely to aim for a single, grand, overarching story. Which sometimes makes the book feel less epic than Remender's. But I feel like Duggan is more likely to have legs, rather than simply run out of gas after the big payoff.

Of course, that presumes that Marvel intends to LET Duggan have legs. I doubt it. They're very much in the mindset of "2 stories and done" these days. Which is a shame, as, at the risk of repeating myself, Duggan's UA roster is amazing.

BANNED

Remender's forst run - this run failed.
    started really good 1 issue was 1 in number of copies sold but quickly was under top 20 because:
    - it was really good only if you didn't read x men books from this century (Avengers moments was mostly really nice but x men not really)
    - Rogue was portrayed non only out of character (which could be good for story, but not this time) but most important thing about Rogue portrayal:
    - there was nothing to prove that she should be avengers, yes she had a lot of time for her but this time didn't give us answer why she should be on avengers (and remember that she is the only member of Unity Team who is always with this team )
    - even writer said in his interview that he portrayed Rogue : "more wolverine than wolverine" which is insulting to both Wolverine and Rogue
    - this series was all about drama(a lot of kills but who cares if you destroyed whole world?) and short term boost to sales, but redemer forget to give answers for questions like : why should i care about new characters? while it was obvious that most popular characters will return to their books and won't be always part of Unity Division
    - if you didn't know: Wolverine thought that Rogue betrayed him. He simply said : "You ignored my orders. Now i know that i can't trust you and i will act accordingly"
    - after this run: Avengers fans don't have reasons to follow Rogue(she didn't even want to be part of Avengers) and X men fans don't have reasons to follow Rogue (and often they don't have any reasons to like Avengers because this run was bad for them and they simply stopped buying these books before most of cooler stuff for Avengers)

Redemer second run was terribly bad
    -boring and non important (and had problems to stay in top 60 )
    - the removed all good/fun/cool characters(with 1 exception of Wanda) from UA1 and started new series. They still keep whiny bithces (Rogue)

Gerry Duggan run
    - this run had rough start
    - there is only Deadpool (who is everywhere), Rogue (hated by Avengers fans for a lot of good reasons), and few c tier characters and Synapse
    - he started with arc about Synapse which was bad (she had some terrible experiences but why should we care about Synapse when we don't know anything about her (except that she is useless?) first we need to know something about her before we can start to be interested in her.
    - latter this run will become much better) A lot of characters had really fun and nice moments. Mostly Deadpool but at least they started to work together a little and are able acknowledge their teamwork isn't best. Synapse even learned how to use her powers.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Remender had a more dramatic run, but Duggan's is more fun. So its hard to decide which I like better.

Remender had some interesting ideas, but he focused more in the constant arguments and bitching between the team members and it ended affecting the plot and the premise of the book too much, his work in Uncanny Avengers was a small guide of how not to write a team book.

I read only the first TPB of Remender, and it really didn't rock my world, even though Wonder Man and Havok are two of my favorite Marvel characters, and a loved most of the other characters, with the exception of Rogue, which has steadily grown to annoy me (and I prefer as an X-Men) and Wolverine, which I abhor. But I would buy a softcover TPB os his complete run, should they ever decide to release it (Omnibus is too pricey for me, especially for something I'm not really that excited to get). I did buy the TPB of his second vol. It should arrive sometime this week, and I'm actually excited to read it (especially, as it seems to be a fairly self-contained story).
    Nothing about Duggan's really excites me. Qucksilver is about the only character I'd be interested in reading about, and the art I've seen seems fugly.
    So, I guess it's Remender for me.

Peace

I prefer Duggan's.
    Rogue gets some respect, Havok is not around making stupid speeches.