View Poll Results: Should Marvel give Mary Jane her own ongoing title?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • They Should

21 72.41%
  • The Should Not

8 27.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

After I chuckled at the enthusiastic fan posting herds of MJ Fan Polls all at once ..

I looked at the headline on this thread and went "Wha!? Mnnahhh ....hmmm .. welll? .. ok ... yeah!".

Sure why not. I love the 'Marvels' angle, and the idea that she has no interest in having super powers .. and *yet* she remains
    the super strong, resourceful (ex-supermodel) that somehow is an intimate insider to the superpowered world and can
    easily hang with them ... and do them one better.

If they want to make a real every day woman the star of her own title, one that has a chance of being a great story issue
    after issue, MJ is definitely the character for it imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think there's something special with the idea that she's had numerous opportunities to be a superhero, and doesn't want to take it.
    And yet, if it's something Marvel wanted to do, it would be done. They've certainly teased it enough.

I'd leave it up to the high-paid creatives to figure out the nuts and bolts of how it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I must admit finding this person's idea and fan made design that looks so spectacular had me wishing Marvel would contact him and buy his design or offer him a job to make such a series. It was that awesome and intriguing.

Desing and idea from a artist named Fooray and he and more of this desing can be found on deviantart: http://fooray.deviantart.com/art/Sca...r-MJ-590714860
    That's a pretty killer costume design and logo.

Mighty Member

I voted yes, though I’m not sure I’d be interested in a title written about the character as she currently exists. 616 Mary Jane is one of my favorite characters (well, as the character was depicted up to 2007 anyway), but I have to agree with another poster that the current mainstream Marvel Universe has become way too much of a convoluted mess. The nightclub angle that some were suggesting a while back intrigued me, but a book about her working for Stark doesn’t (as much). I wouldn’t be interested in her becoming another superhero either. Maybe if they wrote a book about Mary Jane that pulled from an earlier status quo…like a modish 60s inspired MJ trying to break into showbiz after first moving to NYC.

I’d also be happy with a revival of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane.

Mighty Member

I'm not sure an every-woman angle works with MJ, cause MJ's never been an every-woman. She's dated the every-man in Peter Parker, but even during her introduction, MJ was exceptional and forward leaning person of the time. If they did a MJ superheroine book, I'd hope they go as far from Every-woman as possible. because MJ was never the every-woman, she was (And most would still argue is) larger than life.

I feel they'd need to lean into the fact that she's glam extraordinaire. A superstar before she was even a superhero.

BANNED

If MJ ever gets a title, then have it set in the MC-2 Universe. Post-Spider-verse and Post-Secret Wars. At least show readers how she handles Peter's death and trying to raise her kids.

I don't care.

But honestly, even with the Iron Man stuff already, when MJ eventually comes back to the Spider titles, the level of inter-series continuity and how it's handled could make or break the book for me at that time. Outside of the Spider titles, and on-and-off the X titles, I do not care about the Marvel Universe. It's a backdrop for me. And every time it encroaches too much on the books I do read, it's alienating.

There are a lot of people who only read one or a few titles. Asking us to be familiar with things that happen outside of those books in order to enjoy those books is a bad move.

While I do think the "everywoman" approach can be difficult to pull off and make interesting if it's done right it can be a masterpiece and they were able to do that in the great tale that is of "Marvels". Any possible storyline or idea can be done right.
    MJ however for me is at a point in time where I can't see her now as the "everywoman". All the things that she knows and went though plus all the fortuitous and unimaginable luck or unluck and greatly her experience and how she is so very much apart of the heroes lives and a front row position to it all outside of being in the action (though sometimes she is). All of that separates her from now the "everywoman" who doesn't have any of that perspective or luck. Thus she isn't the everywoman anymore while she is also not the hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I'm not sure an every-woman angle works with MJ, cause MJ's never been an every-woman. She's dated the every-man in Peter Parker, but even during her introduction, MJ was exceptional and forward leaning person of the time. If they did a MJ superheroine book, I'd hope they go as far from Every-woman as possible. because MJ was never the every-woman, she was (And most would still argue is) larger than life.

I feel they'd need to lean into the fact that she's glam extraordinaire. A superstar before she was even a superhero.
    I was thinking of something Bendis said about MJ's struggles as an "everyman" in a world of superbeings and the part in Spider-Man 3 where a dejected MJ comes out of the theatre and perks up at people cheering, only to realize they aren't cheering for her but for Spider-Man who is swinging overhead.

I think there is a powerful story to be told there about a woman who has everything to "rule the world": the smarts, the looks, the charms, the kindness, the tenacity, the resilience etc. But she has to contend with a ceiling of sorts because she lives in a world where she will always be overshadowed by "superhumans". Basically gods who can rearrange her life in the flash of an instant no matter how much time and effort she puts into rebuilding it. So how does she deal with being trapped in the shadows, constantly at the mercy of superheroes and supervillains? It must be especially frustrating for her as it would seem that she is more "gifted" than most of the general public, more capable of making a mark in the world, and yet, she is incredibly helpless in so many ways.

In a bizarre alternate universe, Mary Jane Watson may very well have become Lex Luthor. The exceptionally talented "normal" human who, on feeling suppressed by superhumans always destined to steal his/her own glory, dedicates his/her life to putting an end to those superhumans.

But of course, MJ is NOT Lex. However, their situations are eerily similar. How does MJ save herself from becoming completely jaded?(present MJ is tethering on the brink though) How does she feel being constantly pushed aside for a so-called "everyman" superhero? Especially one she loves with all her heart and soul? In the hands of an incredibly capable writer, these themes could be crafted into something transcendental. I think it's fascinating by itself, but it also, by the very nature of MJ being the kind of character she is, ties into timely topics. In current pop-culture, there are a lot of discussions centring around bringing more women's stories to the forefront. Especially those women who have been overshadowed by others for decades. So why not finally tell the story of one of comic's greatest female supporting characters? Not from the perspective of her boyfriend. Not her boyfriend's story from her perspective. But her own story from her own perspective.

If Marvel is following the Superbooks, then MJ will get her own title after Peter dies and somehow transfers his powers to her.

If it ever did happen, I'd want this to be an alternate universe. I don't really want 616 MJ to get spider powers. Although to be frank, as much as I love her, there are enough spider people taking from Peter's spotlight as is right now.

Although just brainstorming: Peter could be her tech guy who creates her web-shooters and fluid. It could be interesting with a good writer...

Anyway I love that artist's design...here are some more I found:

Attachment 37781
    Attachment 37782
    Attachment 37783

FooRay: http://fooray.deviantart.com/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    If it ever did happen, I'd want this to be an alternate universe. I don't really want 616 MJ to get spider powers. Although to be frank, as much as I love her, there are enough spider people taking from Peter's spotlight as is right now.

Although just brainstorming: Peter could be her tech guy who creates her web-shooters and fluid. It could be interesting with a good writer...

Anyway I love that artist's design...here are some more I found:

Attachment 37781
    Attachment 37782
    Attachment 37783

FooRay: http://fooray.deviantart.com/
    Your attachments aren't quite working, but having seen FooRay's Scarlet MJ and loved it so much I put (almost) all of them on my favorites, I'm enthused for your idea. In fact, I'm generally enthused at all the love Mary Jane's been getting here, since she is an incredible and fascinating character outside being Spider-Man's most iconic love interest and longest-lasting romantic relationship. And hell, if Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane could have series back in the Silver Age of Comic Books over at DC, why the hell not Mary Jane Watson, whether we attach Parker to her name or not?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

I feel that it would be the natural progression for her, I was perfectly okay with the idea of MJ suiting up and getting her own series back when they teasing her as a potential candidate for Scarlet Spider after Spider-Island. Provided Marvel doesn't decide to bring back Ben Reilly or Kaine during the Clone Conspiracy I would still be okay with her taking on the mantle and being the new Scarlet Spider, at least it would give the series a chance to last longer than 12 issues and we'd see the Iron Spider armor actually getting some use out of it for a change.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    I feel that it would be the natural progression for her, I was perfectly okay with the idea of MJ suiting up and getting her own series back when they teasing her as a potential candidate for Scarlet Spider after Spider-Island. Provided Marvel doesn't decide to bring back Ben Reilly or Kaine during the Clone Conspiracy I would still be okay with her taking on the mantle and being the new Scarlet Spider, at least it would give the series a chance to last longer than 12 issues and we'd see the Iron Spider armor actually getting some use out of it for a change.
    Well, Kaine is at least coming back according to the promotional art when it was still being called Dead No More, but if he (ironically) dies again at the end, that leaves the Scarlet Spider mantle free. Or, we could just have Scarlet Spiders, plural, and have it consist of everyone who's been called the Scarlet Spider as a team or group --- Ben Reilly, Joe Wade, Patrick from the Initiative's Scarlet Spiders, Kaine, Mary Jane, and throw in Felicity Hardy from MC2 Spider-Girl and Ultimate Jessica Drew. Since both Patrick and Mary Jane wear the Iron Spider suits, I could see either of them tweaking the design with the armor's camouflage abilities to a new default to distinguish themselves from each other.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Nope, don't want it. She's a supporting character, not a main character. And I'd rather not start seeing Spider-Gwen or Flash Venom copycats up the wazoo. "Jazzin' JJJ," "Marvelous May," etc.

Except the Amazing Anna Maria Marconi. She should be the next Superior Spider-Person.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I must admit finding this person's idea and fan made design that looks so spectacular had me wishing Marvel would contact him and buy his design or offer him a job to make such a series. It was that awesome and intriguing.

Desing and idea from a artist named Fooray and he and more of this desing can be found on deviantart: http://fooray.deviantart.com/art/Sca...r-MJ-590714860
    The price is 4.50. The artist even added inflation.