Astonishing Member

Default Clarification on Appreciation Threads Regulations

Hello,

I'm a little confused behind appreciation as I'm seeing two different set of rules from two different forums and I would like some guidance.

To give a small history, before the original wally west returned during rebirth, there was a wally west appreciation thread that was filled with nuwally bashing.
    Long story short, A mod gave everyone warnings and provided the following rules:

"The Flash Is Not About Tragedy": Wally West Appreciation! (NO NUWALLY BASHING!!!)
    DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now while this does state DC forum Appreciation Rules, I took this as meaning it would apply to all appreciation threads from all forums, and that it just stated DC Forums because the thread in question was in the DC forum.

Of course these rules are set for all of DC appreciation threads but I used the Wally West appreciation thread as an example.

So the reason I'm bringing this up is because in the Spider Man Forums, we're given different rules by a different moderator.

"The purpose of an appreciation thread is to appreciate, but it also isn't to control discussion about a character or topic."

Essentially the Spider Man Mod stated while the purpose of the thread is to appreciate, that doesn't mean the negative comment rules as seen in the DC forum applies here.

So now I'm confused. Does each forum have it's own set of rules in regards to appreciation threads? I would like some clarification on this so I can have a better understanding. Because the DC forum rules are pretty cut and dry. No negative comments about the character, it's direct counterparts, or different versions of that character. The Spider Man rules is that you can post anything you want, including place any sort of negative comment towards the characters, direct counterparts and different versions of the character, and that it just has a specific purpose of appreciation. IMO, I don't see the point of appreciation threads if it doesn't limit negative comments like the DC forums state.

I wrote this when the Storm appreciation thread was boiling over with negativity around the time X-Men: Apocalypse was about to come out. In general, this is how I believe appreciation threads should be. Not the catch-all aspect some people use the threads for for any opinion they have of the character, but to genuinely make them a positive place to appreciate a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Appreciation threads are supposed to be a celebration of a character, a positive place to post about a character you love. I'm not saying disagreements or differing opinions can't occur, but 90% of the time it's supposed be what I said: a celebration of a character and a positive place to post about a character you love.

Some of you have been treating this thread as a post dump for any and all gripes about Storm you have (under the guise of it being appreciation, as if your concern and negativity is, in and of itself, "appreciation"), regardless of the thread's purpose. Not saying you can't voice those opinions, you just shouldn't voice them here in this thread. This thread is for appreciation. Don't like what you've seen of Shipp's Storm in the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse film? Go to the X-Men: Apocalypse Speculation thread, or start another thread where you can talk about it. This thread is for appreciation. You hate Berry's past performances as Storm onscreen? Find or start threads about past X-Men films or film Storm to post in. This thread is for appreciation. Don't like how Storm is being written in the comics? Post about it in the threads dedicated to the issues she appears in, or start another thread about your concerns regarding comic book Storm. This thread is for appreciation.
    That said, unless you've got moderators invested in enforcing that standard it's not really the kind of thing we hold them to. Appreciation threads can be monsters to oversee with the traffic some of them get, and moderators' attention are needed on their forums as a whole. We rely on site members to keep to the theme of those threads, and if someone isn't (or is flat-out trolling) they should be reported.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I wrote this when the Storm appreciation thread was boiling over with negativity around the time X-Men: Apocalypse was about to come out. In general, this is how I believe appreciation threads should be. Not the catch-all aspect some people use the threads for for any opinion they have of the character, but to genuinely make them a positive place to appreciate a character.

That said, unless you've got moderators invested in enforcing that standard it's not really the kind of thing we hold them to. Appreciation threads can be monsters to oversee with the traffic some of them get, and moderators' attention are needed on their forums as a whole. We rely on site members to keep to the theme of those threads, and if someone isn't (or is flat-out trolling) they should be reported.
    Thank you so much, I definitely appreciate it. As you can imagine, with the two widely different viewpoints when it came to appreciation threads being presented, I was completely confused, and it looks like from your post that you definitely align more with the DC forums rules regarding appreciation thread over the spider man. I'll post your response in the thread so to clarify any confusion that maybe presented when it comes to appreciation threads, because the moderators were definitely having different outlook on what stands in an appreciation thread. Once again, thanks for clearing things up.