Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why doesn't Legion sell?

Isn't it because it's set in another time, and thus removed from DC's shared universe?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

That might be part of it, but I think it's classically because people are no longer interested in the designs or the dated aesthetics, and very likely, a lack of notable characters.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Dc's version of the future probably needs a redesign.

Things that hurt the Legion (imo)
    -- yes, being set apart from the regular DCU
    -- Perceived impenetrability to get into it because of the huge cast and backstory
    -- and yet also ironically, all the reboots. Makes it seem like a franchise that has no legs and will just get rebooted again.
    -- Old-fashioned names, the idea of "teen super-heroes in the future" isn't enough of a mission statement.
    -- DC doesn't put the best, attention-getting talent on it.

To cater to an adult market, probably have to do adult legion rather than kiddie legion. Star Trek and Star Wars have more adult characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    To cater to an adult market, probably have to do adult legion rather than kiddie legion. Star Trek and Star Wars have more adult characters.
    I agree. I kinda like the adult version of LOSH in Morrison's action comics, perhaps DC should age them up and cut down the number of legionnaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Isn't it because it's set in another time, and thus removed from DC's shared universe?
    No. In fact, numbers dictate the exact opposite of what you're thinking.

nuDC Legion Lost went 16 issues
    nuDC Legion of Super-Heroes went 23 issues

Guess which one had Legionnaires in the present interacting with the DC Universe?
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 05-02-2016 at 12:55 PM.

For me it's because they constantly focus on the wrong characters.

When I became a fan in the 70's it was because of characters like Wildfire, Dawnstar, Blok and the later additions to the team. Out of the Boy/Lad/Girl/Lass members the ones I liked most are the later additions, Shadow Lass, Princess Projectra and Karate Kid.

For some reason, pretty much every time they bring back the LSH they focus on the original trio and too many of the goofy members. I would love to have a Legion book where the team actually looked like most of them were aliens and not refugees from Archie comics. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Silver Age Legion but trying to make them happen in modern times probably isn't going to work. They need to focus on modernizing the book like they were during the 70's era with new codenames and more alien\diverse looking characters.

BANNED

Bad writting... i tried to get in to Legion like 1 year ago. I tried Legion Lost, Legion The Great Darkness Saga, Legion The Curse... and one more but i can't remember the name. They were all terrible... well actually i didn't even open and take look at The Curse After reading the other 3 mostly... i was done with Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Bad writting... i tried to get in to Legion like 1 year ago. I tried Legion Lost, Legion The Great Darkness Saga, Legion The Curse... and one more but i can't remember the name. They were all terrible... well actually i didn't even open and take look at The Curse After reading the other 3 mostly... i was done with Legion.
    If you thought the Great Darkness Saga was terrible, Legion clearly isn't the book for you.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The main problem the Legion has had for the last decade or so was DC just kept putting the wrong writers on the book. After DnA did there run which was great they got into this bad pattern of putting writers who had already had one run on the book back again instead of getting new voices on the property. First they had Waid reboot things which was just a bad idea on every level. Then they had Shooter come back to try and save the mess Waid had created only to mess with him until he just quit. Then they had Levitz come back and try to write the classic-but-not-classic mess they created which was just anywhere near as good as his classic run was.

In my eyes the Waidboot was a crippling blow to the property that the Legion has never truly recovered from and it was all just a vanity project for Waid that he seemed to get bored with after the first story arc.

The book needs a new fresh voice and a good artist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If you thought the Great Darkness Saga was terrible, Legion clearly isn't the book for you.
    Yeah, may be it's not my cup of tea... I bought it with such an antusiasm... The Great Darkness Saga, such a promising name and Darkseid on the cover... but there was no Darkseid in the book... lol I skiped untill the end of the book wondering ''when will Darkseid show up'' but he didn't show up...i was like '' are you toying with me DC !??!!?'' lol and the book was bunch of boring stories as far as i read and remember...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Simply because it hasn't been allowed to evolve and grow. It's stuck in a nostalgic mindset, when it should be all about rebellion/youth/progress/the future.

You might wanna try L.E.G.I.O.N and REBELS

Vril Dox is one of the most badass characters out there.

Eye for an Eye is a good Legion story, very dark and brutal.

To me Legion is one of the best DC books in the 80s and 90s.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 05-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Yeah, may be it's not my cup of tea... I bought it with such an antusiasm... The Great Darkness Saga, such a promising name and Darkseid on the cover... but there was no Darkseid in the book... lol I skiped untill the end of the book wondering ''when will Darkseid show up'' but he didn't show up...i was like '' are you toying with me DC !??!!?'' lol and the book was bunch of boring stories as far as i read and remember...
    The story was written and designed as individual issues. The first three parts of the story dealt with a mystery foe of immense power who was cloning superboy and doing all sorts of nasty stuff. You basically saw the Sixth Sense knowing Bruce Willis was dead from the start. The reveal of Darkseid was considered so dramatic that at the time, the final part was supersized to allow the quick finish after the villain reveal. These were also the days when Darkseid wasn't sitting on everybody's sofa drinking their wine. It was big and dramatic before trying tio be big and dramatic was the status quo.

It's obvious you weren't able to enjoy the original formatting for which the story was designed and written. COIE also suffers from that. A lot of older classics were definitely not written for the trade.