Default New York Times article: Can Comic Books Survive the Coronavirus Era?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/a...ronavirus.html

Excerpt: Calls to Diamond’s offices in Maryland were not returned. But in a statement on the company’s website, Steve Geppi, its founder, wrote that Diamond’s “publishing partners are also faced with numerous issues in their supply chain, working with creators, printers and increasing uncertainty when it comes to the production and delivery of products,” adding that its own freight networks and distribution centers were under significant strain.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/a...ronavirus.html

Excerpt: Calls to Diamond’s offices in Maryland were not returned. But in a statement on the company’s website, Steve Geppi, its founder, wrote that Diamond’s “publishing partners are also faced with numerous issues in their supply chain, working with creators, printers and increasing uncertainty when it comes to the production and delivery of products,” adding that its own freight networks and distribution centers were under significant strain.

Nothing much new in this article that hasn't been discussed in three other threads here.

Except the bit about smaller publishers going under and getting bought up in a firesale. I'm not so sure about that. Who is going to have that sort of money after this mess? I don't see Marvel or DC eager to spend money on other characters. And I'm not so sure those smaller companies having the money to buy other smaller companies.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Nothing much new in this article that hasn't been discussed in three other threads here.

Except the bit about smaller publishers going under and getting bought up in a firesale. I'm not so sure about that. Who is going to have that sort of money after this mess? I don't see Marvel or DC eager to spend money on other characters. And I'm not so sure those smaller companies having the money to buy other smaller companies.
    Well, at least the NYT article proved the point you were making in other threads.

"The dollars at stake are substantial: in recent years, sales of comics and graphic novels in the United States and Canada have topped $1 billion annually, with printed comic books accounting for more than a third of that figure, according to an analysis by Comichron and ICv2, sites that track the comic business. Digital sales contribute about $100 million to that total".

I thought digital was a bit stronger than that. I wonder where they got the data on that because the Big 2 never releases that info.