Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

It is not fair to say people are not interested in Angela. When she was being written by Gillen and Bennett she was a fascinating character with a solid fan base including myself. As soon as Bennett was sole writer the book's tone went all self referential and post modern, with supposedly cool pop culture references spinkled too liberally.

In my opinion Gillen is the natural successor to Gaimen, whereas Bennett has yet to find her voice. She is patchy as a writer with some good and some bad. This is nothing to do with the character. She just needs a good writer.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It is not fair to say people are not interested in Angela. When she was being written by Gillen and Bennett she was a fascinating character with a solid fan base including myself. As soon as Bennett was sole writer the book's tone went all self referential and post modern, with supposedly cool pop culture references spinkled too liberally.

In my opinion Gillen is the natural successor to Gaimen, whereas Bennett has yet to find her voice. She is patchy as a writer with some good and some bad. This is nothing to do with the character. She just needs a good writer.

Yeah, Gillen's work was far more solid and seemed to have a clear direction you could legitimately follow than Bennett's. Queen of Hel is wholly inferior to 1602 and Asgard's Assassin.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What is this. I wouldn't even put Angela in like TOP 30 of "Most Iconic/Popular/Liked Female Characters of Marvel" , heck, 40.
    50, even. I'd even put Squirrel Girl before Angela... and I hates her.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I personally think Angela is cooler than Captain Marvel, so I would be OK with Angela becoming the top tier female character for Marvel. However, the new costume I saw last on Angela was kind of weird. I could not tell if the pointy part near her stomach was supposed to be metal or not, but it looked like it could stab her in the belly every time she sat down. I also felt it was overly complex. I full out admit: despite how iconic and awesome Spider-Man's costume may be, it must be a huge pain in the ass to draw, regardless of how amazing an artist you may be. The smart thing, would be to go simpler. I'm sure you can find a way to put Angela in more clothing, while not looking overly-busy.

Personally, I liked the look she had in Spawn and when she debuted in the Marvel Universe. I also think that Marvel wants to try and publish comics that is a lot more inclusive and new-reader friendly. There is no doubt in my mind that some may not like picking up a book that features the costume that Angela is wearing, so that demands a change.

All-in-all, I'm all for Angela being the number one hero for Marvel, but I personally would like her going back to how she was.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I can see why fans of Carol, Gamora or Black Widow wouldn't want neither of this characters kicked to the curb in order to push Angela so the title of the thread is misguided. It doesn't need to be either/or. Marvel has done a great job pushing female characters in the latest years like Carol Danvers, Jane Foster, Kamala Khan, Laura Kinney and many others like Riri Williams now and credit where it's due they did gave Angela a solo with Asgard's Assassin and Queen Of Hel.
    Now she's in GotG but I'm still hoping she gets another chance at a Solo in 2017 with a new creative team and Marvel actually putting effort in promoting it and advertising it this time around. Since she's a Marvel property she could be included in the MCU at any point it'd just a matter of there being someone at Marvel who's interested and willing to give her that push.

Sadly based on the Marvel Now line ups Marvel is most likely to give Lockjaw a Solo...

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I agree that Tasha is easily one of the most interesting characters both in Marvel Comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And I actually think that after so many fans screaming at the top of their lungs for a Black Widow film, we might actually get one by Phase 4, but it's crazy how much time they wait for it. Marvel Studios is at an unique position with her that they can make a grea sci-fi spy thriller that could make front to something like James Bond with a budget relatively smaller than their usual productions. There's a demand and people love her. I'd go nuts with Feige announcing that she's getting her own movie for 2018 or something at this SDCC, but I doubt that will happen.

I love how Wonder Woman's costume looks just like the Gal Gadot's one, which is one of the very few things that BvS nailed. And I don't understand this obsession with covering character's skins, especially ones like Wonder Woman and Angela. I mean, I don't see anyone complaining about Kratos showing skin, for example. Or Conan. Or Khal Drogo. Hell, add Momoa's Aquaman and Namor to that list too. What's wrong with Wonder Woman thighs? What's wrong with Kratos thighs?

Compare the number of male characters who show skin to the number of female characters who do and you can see why people prefer Wonder Woman and Angela covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Compare the number of male characters who show skin to the number of female characters who do and you can see why people prefer Wonder Woman and Angela covered up.
    I'm sorry but that's a fallacious and stupid argument. Wonder Woman looks ridiculous with shorts or a busy armor. This is puritanism dressed as faux progressivism. Comic book people look gorgeous, neither Wonder Woman, Angela, Kratos or Namor need to cover up. Most of the female characters are using practical suits that not all of the times work while most of the males superheroes are still using the good ol' spandex. Big freaking deal.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 07-12-2016 at 02:32 AM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Marvel's not going to make an openly LGBT character one of their flagship characters. It'll be another decade before anything like that happens. They couldn't even be bothered to include an LGBT solo in Now. There's no goddamn way they'll promote an LGBT character as one of their most important characters. No chance. Marvel keeps LGBT characters limited to team titles and supporting characters, not headliners. They do not allow LGBT characters to be headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Marvel's not going to make an openly LGBT character one of their flagship characters. It'll be another decade before anything like that happens. They couldn't even be bothered to include an LGBT solo in Now. There's no goddamn way they'll promote an LGBT character as one of their most important characters. No chance. Marvel keeps LGBT characters limited to team titles and supporting characters, not headliners. They do not allow LGBT characters to be headliners.
    Which is insane. I know that my thread is provocative because I made it to be that way, but getting a character like Angela and inventing Jane Thor seems like a waste to me.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

BANNED

Storm is Marvel's Female Face but since Marvel separates the X-Universe from them, then popularity-wise, Black Widow takes the title.

As for Captain Marvel, her costume looks good but she looks old. I like her look more when she was Ms Marvel. Captain Marvel should have a different mask that will not cover her whole face and bring us back her long flowing hair. She's more likable with the long flowing hair.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    As for Captain Marvel, her costume looks good but she looks old. I like her look more when she was Ms Marvel. Captain Marvel should have a different mask that will not cover her whole face and bring us back her long flowing hair. She's more likable with the long flowing hair.
    The costume is good and yeah it would be good to see her with the long hair again. Also a mask could be a good option, but not the things that fully covered her face, it was totally awkward. They could put her a mask like the one she used back when she was Ms. Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That is certainly an understandable line of thought. I would have nothing against it.
    But of course Black Widow doesn't have Pew Pew superpowers and can fly around and stuff like that. She is "just" a spy. One that isn't a goody two shoes all the time either.
    I personally find that line of thought silly but those are some of the arguments that I have heard when Black Widow being the premier female hero has been brought up.
    I agree with you. Though Black Widow is clearly more popular than Captain Marvel and looks deserving to take the title as Marvel's #1 Female, but Black Widow doesn't look like a superhero. She's just a skilled CIA agent who helps people.

Black Widow is a hero but not a superhero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    The costume is good and yeah it would be good to see her with the long hair again. Also a mask could be a good option, but not the things that fully covered her face, it was totally awkward. They could put her a mask like the one she used back when she was Ms. Marvel.
    I was actually thinking to just have her Ms Marvel's mask but instead of black, make it red or a combination of red and blue.

Angela's publication history at Marvel is almost non-existent. Black Widow, Storm, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk etc. have been mainstays in the marvel universe since the seventies. In what world does Angela suddenly outrank all these people? Plus Marvel doesn't completely own the character so pushing her over a property that have full control over makes no sense.

As for Captain Marvel being Marvel's flagship superheroes. I'm pretty sure (double-check me on this) Carol was the female superhero at marvel to have a solo title. Unlike many other female superheroes that are off-shoots of there male counterparts ( making it difficult to market them as a standalone franchise) , Carol's male counter part as been dead and gone for over 30 years.

She has more solo issues published than another other marvel heroine aside from She-Hulk and Spider-Girl (again both difficult to franchise).

And there the elephant in the room she is getting her own movie. That's kinda of a big deal. Did you expect marvel not to give her push given this fact???

Honestly, I'm surprised that there is much debate on this aside from Black Widow who is there that is even a viable option???
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 07-12-2016 at 03:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Marvel's flagship heroine for the longest time was Storm, but then the X-Men fell from grace, and they've tried anointing Carol. It's not working though. Captain Marvel just isn't "happening" with audiences.

Jean Grey, Sue Storm (who by all rights should be Marvel's "First Lady"), She-Hulk, Janet Van Dyne all have loyal fanbases and long histories behind them, but Marvel hasn't seen fit to do anything constructive with them for years. For some like Jean and Sue, it's been decades.

Oh the irony that Kamala Khan and Spider-Gwen have bigger stars than Carol. Kamala, sporting Carol's old namesake and Carol being Kamala's idol. And Spider-Gwen, an old character with a new direction.