Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy 75th Anniversary WONDER WOMAN!!! 1941-2016

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Well, the sales clearly haven't reflected that. I like the fact that DeConnick made her Captain Marvel, but it's pretty much just that. And I love Mckelvie's art, but the design for the costume not so much. And well, the book isn't selling well, and wasn't selling well with DeConnick either. Her most popular run was with Brian Reed's.

Wonder Woman's Rebirth costume
    Wonderful live-action appearance in BvS: DoJ this year.
    Confident as well to see that repeated in the Wonder Woman movie come 2017!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Wonderful live-action appearance in BvS: DoJ this year.
    Confident as well to see that repeated in the Wonder Woman movie come 2017!
    Uh...as much as I like Wonder Woman, wouldn't this be more appropriate in the DC or Wonder WOman boards?

Angela fans may like this video. It's about the top 10 superheroes that WatchMojo believes should get a Netflix show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RDVUOiKuLQ
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

While I think there are legitimate issues with having Carol as the female flagship Marvel character, I have to say that as a reader of Marvel, to varying degrees, for 45 years, when I saw your thread title I instantly thought "and who is Angela?"

That doesn't bode well for the general public's awareness of her.

I honestly think that She Hulk or the Invisible Woman are better known than Carol, but they are so tied to other characters (and in one case, companies) that it's hard to make them the flagship female. I think Marvel is in a spot. If the CM movie works out, they're set. If it doesn't, I really don't know what they do. I don't think the theaters are being besieged by requests for Black Widow or Scarlet Witch movies.

Hell, if Carol doesn't work, maybe they should try Spiderwoman?

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I honestly think that She Hulk or the Invisible Woman are better known than Carol, but they are so tied to other characters (and in one case, companies) that it's hard to make them the flagship female. I think Marvel is in a spot. If the CM movie works out, they're set. If it doesn't, I really don't know what they do. I don't think the theaters are being besieged by requests for Black Widow or Scarlet Witch movies.
    Are you kidding? People have been asking where Black Widow's movie is for 5 years now. There's a lot of calls for a Black Widow movie. (For my part, I think it actually is a good idea to do the Captain Marvel movie before a Black Widow movie, as it means they're first female lead is a full-fledged superhero rather than a spy. The problem is the Captain Marvel movie should have come out already.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Are you kidding? People have been asking where Black Widow's movie is for 5 years now. There's a lot of calls for a Black Widow movie. (For my part, I think it actually is a good idea to do the Captain Marvel movie before a Black Widow movie, as it means they're first female lead is a full-fledged superhero rather than a spy. The problem is the Captain Marvel movie should have come out already.)
    While I think Marvel Studios has a better chance of getting me to like Captain Marvel than the comics have done and that Marvel Studios could have basically set themselves as the premier superhero movie makers, I think it's very appropriate that the OG superheroine (Wonder Woman) come out with a movie first in this age of universe-building superhero movies, followed by Captain Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    While I think Marvel Studios has a better chance of getting me to like Captain Marvel than the comics have done and that Marvel Studios could have basically set themselves as the premier superhero movie makers, I think it's very appropriate that the OG superheroine (Wonder Woman) come out with a movie first in this age of universe-building superhero movies, followed by Captain Marvel.
    Then a Storm movie. Hehehe

BANNED

The fan film RAIN is to be used as the basis for a STORM movie

Pay attention Fox!
    THIS is the way to do it when you aim to have the comicbook character, Queen Ororo Munroe, take the movie going public by storm!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Then a Storm movie. Hehehe
    I love Storm, but IMO...judging by everything I've seen from Fox, I'd rather not have a Storm film made the powers that be right now. It's like they want to make Storm good, but can't figure out what makes her so great.

Pay attention Fox!
    THIS is the way to do it when you aim to have the comicbook character, Queen Ororo Munroe, take the movie going public by storm!
    Wow. I cant express how much I DO NOT want to see this dark style used for ANY Marvel character EVER!

The difficulty with this kind of debate is that many of us - myself included - would end up rationalising our own bias in favour of a character.

I have little interest in Captain Marvel. I have not been greatly taken by those issues of her run which were available for free on Comixology. If she continues to act like a wally in Civil War II my interest in the character might increase, as I like colossally flawed superheroes on the whole. But truthfully I don't like most military-themed superheroes, at least those who (unlike, say, Judge Dredd) are not portrayed with a hint of parody. It's one reason I've never much liked comic Captain America, for example. When I was growing up and reading the first Secret War he was always the kind of hero who you thought might start calling people "Mister" This is not because I'm anti-military, you understand, I just don't like the super soldier/standard bearer of patriotism trope. I realise her history is a lot longer/more complicated than that, and this may be an unfair judgement about her current persona, but I'm not sufficiently motivated to find out whether or not I'm right.

God knows I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the character - this is the (probably flawed) impression I have received from her appearances.

Now could I make an argument from that as to why Carol Danvers shouldn't receive so much promotion?

Could I say we already have one blonde, military-themed, generally admired/patriotic superhero in the comics and the MCU, who has the title (although not the apparent rank) of "Captain"?

Could I say that I would be much more interested in a film starring any of the following, as they have in my view far more potential and would be more "fresh" properties for the viewing public:

1. Kamala Khan
    2. Black Widow
    3. A.N. Other?

Probably. And I guess, actually, I just have But frankly I feel I would be rationalising my own inherent likes and dislikes, so... what of it? Captain Marvel's fanbase are dedicated, so should I not be pleased for them that she is receiving so much promotion?

Marvel will probably do a decent film and so far as her prevalence in the comics is concerned, I suspect it will drop off after the film is released, whether it's a success or failure. Pushing a character massively in the comics has its downsides, anyway, it can lead to incoherent characterisation and weariness through overuse.

As regards Angela, I liked Kieron Gillen's series, but I'm not sure she has that much more potential than many other female characters out there.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 10-04-2016 at 05:59 AM.

BANNED

You... stick it full of sadism and nudity and have all the women constantly about to be raped? And turn Storm into a murderous Wolverine-wannabe? No thanks, I'll pass.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    So then a character is only interesting if they have "pew pew" powers? Really?

Natasha is more than "just a spy". She is a character with an interesting background and constantly struggling with her dark past, that is able to find solutions without the use of violence and only counting with her wits. And when she has to fight, she is totally bad-ass.
    To me, a character is most certainly NOT only interesting if they have "pew pew" powers.
    I agree that the comicbook character Natasha is more than "just a spy".

Natasha was good in Winter Soldier and Civil War. I can't say she was depicted very well in any of the other movies. But I certainly think she has tons of potential for a spy drama/thriller film. I'd be more interested in that than a Carol movie, but I'm behind a Carol movie simply because it's way past time for Marvel to release a movie where the main protagonist is a woman.

I've just never been that interested in Carol as a character and I've never really understood her appeal other than she has a great power set.

Ultimate Member

Carol brings little to the able that Wonder Woman, Buffy and so many others have already bought to the table.

It's not a knock on her but there is a reason folks gravitate Storm, Ms Marvel, Black Widow, Jessica Jones, Rey, Hunger Games girl, crazy Harley, Nutty Squirrel Girl & Faith.

A military female has been done to death (thank you Stargate, Star Trek Voyager & GI Joe).

So now it's Carol's turn and folks are burned out on it.

If Marvel wants a top female they have to look beyond her. Heck Sue Storm-Richards would be better-the wife, mother and heroine.