Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Marvel just got Angela so it will really take time for her to become Marvel's female face and seeing that her ongoing is not doing well and no constant appearances on other Marvel books especially Avengers book, I'd say Angela doesn't have a chance.

BANNED

Can somebody tell us which female character has better ongoing solo sales record than Carol's?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Can somebody tell us which female character has better ongoing solo sales record than Carol's?
    Easy:

Spider-Gwen

Gwenpool

Jane Thor

Ms Marvel

Carol's book was marginally ahead of Silk's. Scarlet Witch's solo, Moon Girl and Angela bringing up the rear.

Add in the DC heroines, and Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Superwoman were ahead of Carol also. Black Canary and Starfire were selling less than Carol though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Easy:

Spider-Gwen

Gwenpool

Jane Thor

Ms Marvel

Carol's book was marginally ahead of Silk's. Scarlet Witch's solo, Moon Girl and Angela bringing up the rear.

Add in the DC heroines, and Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Superwoman were ahead of Carol also. Black Canary and Starfire were selling less than Carol though.
    So Dazzler's ongoing, Mystique's ongoing and Emma Frost sales weren't considered better than Carol's ?

Spider-Girl (May 'Mayday' Parker, Peter's alternate reality MC2 kid) also had the longest uninterrupted run of any female Marvel comicbook, making it to over 100 issues before they tried to relaunch it. But that was a MUCH different time when Marvel wasn't relaunching everything every year and a half or less.

On topic, Angela, needs a workable premise to make her work. Just being retconned as Thor's sister and into the Marvel universe isn't enough, they need to make a stronger hook for her and why readers should care about her adventures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Compare the number of male characters who show skin to the number of female characters who do and you can see why people prefer Wonder Woman and Angela covered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    I'm sorry but that's a fallacious and stupid argument. Wonder Woman looks ridiculous with shorts or a busy armor. This is puritanism dressed as faux progressivism. Comic book people look gorgeous, neither Wonder Woman, Angela, Kratos or Namor need to cover up. Most of the female characters are using practical suits that not all of the times work while most of the males superheroes are still using the good ol' spandex. Big freaking deal.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    So Dazzler's ongoing, Mystique's ongoing and Emma Frost sales weren't considered better than Carol's ?
    Doctor Know was only referring to recent books. Do we even have sales figures for the 80s books?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doctor Know was only referring to recent books. Do we even have sales figures for the 80s books?
    No and those books had the benefit if being returnable and sold at more locations.

If we go by length-Dazzler has a long run.

I would say Carol benefited from more chances like She Hulk.

Carol's issue is what does she have to offer that makes her difference from Jessica Jones, WW, Ms Marvel and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Easy:

Spider-Gwen

Gwenpool

Jane Thor

Ms Marvel
    And I think it's clear how none of these could fit as "Marvel's flagship heroine" though...

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    And I think it's clear how none of these could fit as "Marvel's flagship heroine" though...
    Maybe it's hard for any of them to become Marvel's flagship heroine because Marvel until now have never really bothered promoting its heroines as flagship characters? It's always been male characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, etc that have been at the forefront of the company promotions and images and it's not easy to suddenly have a Heroine that stands out amongst all the other heroines.

It's kinda different at DC where even if at times where her sales or popularity were not very high, Wonder Woman has always been regarded as being one of DC's big three alongside Superman and Batman.

Niffleheim

Were Marvel male flagship really pushed or did they just happen? The Iron-Man push was funny thou
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

It just happened. Spider-Man got added to Amazing Fantasy, was meant to appear every month... but it was cancelled (if they were pushing him deliberately, that wouldn't have happened). He clearly wasn't the big hit at first that he would later become when reintroduced in his own book six months later.

They probably originally meant for Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, or Namor to be the flagship hero.

Invincible Member

My understanding was that Stan came up with the Spider-Man concept, but publisher Martin Goodman wasn't so sure about it. Stan convinced Martin to let him run it in the last issue of Amazing Fantasy which they were cancelling anyway. The sales on that last issue were better than average so Martin went ahead a let Stan give Spidey an ongoing.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Yes, I remember seeing Stan say somewhere that they were struck by the number of teenagers that read the first few issues and wrote to Marvel saying how they could relate to the character. Not sure if getting bitten by a radioactive spider and getting superpowers was a common thing for high school teenagers in the 60s but Marvel had clearly stuck gold with Spider-Man in a way that would be hard to achieve today.

I wonder if we have anyone here that was a teenager in the 60s that could share that sense of wonderment with us.

Extraordinary Member

Even with all the stuff happening with Captain Marvel, there is no way I would rank Angela as a flaghship female character. Besides being virtually unknown she is a borderline high functioning sociopath.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor