Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have nothing against anybody's thighs. I don't trust a costume design that pretends to be a skirt but cuts the hem so that it reveals thigh anyway. It is a cop out. Either go with the old look of gym briefs or go with a skirt. Don't pretend to do one thing but really do the other.
    I think it looks awesome. I think all of them look awesome, and this obsession with covering things is boring as hell. Gal looks amazing, Wonder Woman's Rebirth skirt looks amazing, her costume looks amazing. I'm kinda tired of puritanism getting mistaken by politically correct. Wonder Woman is invulnerable, she can use whatever she wants. Same for Angela. Kratos looks bad ass, same goes for Momoa's Aquaman or speedo's Namor. Ugh.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

This America Chavez design by Mckelvie illustrates my point. You can get away with revealing if it fits the character and it is done in with style.

ac.jpg

I acknowledge that this approach may not work for WW and I think Mckelvie's own attempts to design her costume are not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I think it looks awesome. I think all of them look awesome, and this obsession with covering things is boring as hell. Gal looks amazing, Wonder Woman's Rebirth skirt looks amazing, her costume looks amazing. I'm kinda tired of puritanism getting mistaken by politically correct. Wonder Woman is invulnerable, she can use whatever she wants. Same for Angela. Kratos looks bad ass, same goes for Momoa's Aquaman or speedo's Namor. Ugh.
    I agree in the Wonder Woman's rebirth costume. It's good and it looks better than the last full armored costume with those awfull claws. And I still like the silver armor of Asgard's assasin more than the gold iconic one, because with the costume she truly looks like an angelical badass warrior ready to bring war.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post

And I am tired of style and character choices made by professional artists that know their job being branded as puritan when that is not their intention at all.

Is the artist that drew this a prude?

1fGaawD.jpg
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-11-2016 at 10:58 AM.

As to Wonder Woman in Rebirth that design above is not the current one, it was an earlier draft. I hope that eventually the design will change to something a little less overwrought but at least the lines of the skirt have been tidied up a bit, but now it appears oddly Egyptian for no apparent reason.

Digital Wonder Woman V2016 #1 - The Lies Part One (2016_8) - Page 6.jpg

they have also done away with those distracting diagonal lines in the bodice, but it still isn't great. It is effectively the movie design with a few tweaks.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-11-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I couldn't read any further cause I was laughing so hard at the argument that Angela is a better female flagship character than Captain Marvel, because her costume is a freaking steel bikini. ROFLMAO!

But I also have to ask, if Captain Marvel (a character I honestly find dull) is NOT flagship material because her book keeps getting canceled / relaunched, how in the world does Angela, whose book really did get cancelled and sold much worse, qualify for flagship material? Oh wait, it's the steel bikini, isn't it?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I love Angela. I loved all of her series. I love Sera and their relationship. But she's a new character. She was created like, 3 years ago. Carol, even if she had a revamp, is here for decades. Angela is not a traditional superhero. I think it's obvious that, that was one of the main things about choosing Carol. Scarlet Witch can't throw punches, and Black Widow don't have flight or energy blasts. Carol has all the mainstream Superman-ish powers. She actually has a feminist background. And she's a blonde wearing red and blue which means she has a comercial look. I hope they push Angela more, but Carol's not going anywhere because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I couldn't read any further cause I was laughing so hard at the argument that Angela is a better female flagship character than Captain Marvel, because her costume is a freaking steel bikini. ROFLMAO!

But I also have to ask, if Captain Marvel (a character I honestly find dull) is NOT flagship material because her book keeps getting canceled / relaunched, how in the world does Angela, whose book really did get cancelled and sold much worse, qualify for flagship material? Oh wait, it's the steel bikini, isn't it?
    Maybe Marvel can just do a new series "Steel Bikini Team-up!"

I'm super stoked for the Hulk issue. "Can Steel Bikini contain... The HULK!"
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I love Angela. I loved all of her series. I love Sera and their relationship. But she's a new character. She was created like, 3 years ago. Carol, even if she had a revamp, is here for decades. Angela is not a traditional superhero. I think it's obvious that, that was one of the main things about choosing Carol. Scarlet Witch can't throw punches, and Black Widow don't have flight or energy blasts. Carol has all the mainstream Superman-ish powers. She actually has a feminist background. And she's a blonde wearing red and blue which means she has a comercial look. I hope they push Angela more, but Carol's not going anywhere because of that.
    She's not a new character. Angela is a 90s leftover from ... the Spawn universe, IIRC, that Marvel popped in the microwave and dumped on us as a massive Thor retcon, for some unknown reason -- probably something to do with the Gaiman Miracle Man deal.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Maybe Marvel can just do a new series "Steel Bikini Team-up!"

I'm super stoked for the Hulk issue. "Can Steel Bikini contain... The HULK!"
    LOL! Purple Steel!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    She's not a new character. Angela is a 90s leftover from ... the Spawn universe, IIRC, that Marvel popped in the microwave and dumped on us as a massive Thor retcon, for some unknown reason -- probably something to do with the Gaiman Miracle Man deal.
    I know. But the Marvel and the spawn character are not the same. They don't have the same origin, connections, role, nothing. Marvel bought her to to whatever they want and user her as a new character, not to somehow continue what was being done with her on Spawn.

Mighty Member

I personally don't see the strengh in angela. And largely it's due to how she's personally been written.

She's always been treated as a force of nature wherein we're given an idea of who she is by an outside force(Sera) this would be fine if her personage and force was such an overwhelming body that you could treat her like a tornado, than a person. But she's never treated so larger than life. Add to that, Sera being overly verbose and in many cases poorly hamfisted in her dialogue and it just distances you from the character.

You don't get to know Angela as a person and what you do get to learn is so utterly banal due to writing choices. A lot of Angela feels like the writers don't know what to do with Angela. Not the book Angela herself.

I enjoy the concept of Angela a lot more than I can say I enjoy Angela herself.
    Last edited by ZephyrSurf; 07-11-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I know. But the Marvel and the spawn character are not the same. They don't have the same origin, connections, role, nothing. Marvel bought her to to whatever they want and user her as a new character, not to somehow continue what was being done with her on Spawn.
    Aren't they both assassins from Heaven? They both wear the same ridiculous costume.

I'm sorry. I see absolutely NO reason for Marvel to BUY a character from another company that has a minuscule following, if that, when there are tons, literally thousands of characters already in the MU being ignored.

I hate the whole 'there can only be one' thing, with female and minority characters. Why can't there be multiple female flagship characters, like there is male?
    In regards to Angela, I don't see it. She has had chances and the majority of people don't seem to be interested. There are many female characters that should have the opportunity and push, over her. Comparing her to Wonder Woman does endear her to me more in fact, it does the opposite. It makes her seem like a Wonder Woman clone, DC has her, Marvel doesn't need their flagship female to be a copy of her.

On the Captain Marvel thing. I don't know exactly why her being pushed as the premier heroine doesn't seem to be working. It may be because it's too heavy-handed, instead of a natural progression.

Instead of it being:

"Wow, she's a great character and fans are clamoring for her. She is slowly becoming the female face of Marvel"

It's

"Wow, she's a great character, we need a female face of Marvel. Lets make it Carol. Now."

It feels like they've missed a step. It's not a natural progression, which may put more people off instead of gaining new fans.
    If the whole movie situation with Fox wasn't so bad, Storm might have been Marvel's flagship heroine by now.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Angela was offered to Marvel. Let's face it Gaiman wasn't going to do anything with her anymore and he wasn't going to hand her back after fighting over her. It was an asset that he offloaded.

Angela is kind of the same character but go and count how many issues she actually appears in over at Image. Not that many. The development has been much more extensive at Marvel because she is being used more widely.