Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Comparing the X-Men to Static Shock or Cassandra Cain is...not helpful? What does that have to do with anything? That's like comparing the Patriots to your local flag football league. Different standards. For years, the X-books had the best talent that Marvel had to offer, IMHO now they do not
    Comparing an X-men book from last month where ALL publishers sold a total of 8.53 comics in the top 300, to a X-men Book in the 90s that sold 8.1 million comics by iteslef, is also not helpful. Also exactly like comparing the Patriots to your local flag football league. Different standards.

IMHO the sales are an indication of the quality of the books and the importance Marvel puts on them. As a long time X-Men fan, the book that originally got me into comics, that saddens me because I feel they have ruined the preeminent brand in comics due to a petty feud over movie rights. Maybe you still enjoy the books, good for you, apparently many people do not
    If the Sales of the book actually was an indication of the importance Marvel puts into them, then why do all 3 X-Men books sell more than both Inhuman books?

No one is going to argue that Marvel is pushing Inhumans, that is a fact. But there is no sabotage or attempt to kill X-Men at all. Captain America: Civil War came out in theaters and they do a Civil War II cross over event, so it has movie synergy. They did the exact same thing with Age of Apocalypse movie coming out, they do a X-men cross over for Apocalypse Wars.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    So what? Spawn sold hundred thousands of copies too in the 90s. Different times, different audience and different market.
    The context is the rest of the books that Marvel are publishing and the X-franchise is among the top of that. It's really not that hard.
    Ghost Rider and Venom solos sold pretty well back then too as I recall. Wasn't Wild Cats at Image a big time title too?

For me the quality of writing and storylines is not on the level of past X-Men work. When I couldn't afford anybother comics I still managed to find a way to keep buying X books. I won't get into an Inhumans push debate or movie rights argument. I felt like the de-emphasis on the X line being the one that got all the attention started a long time ago. Bottom line, for me, the books and direction are not as good as the past. To me that dip in quality coupled with changes to the fundamental character and voice of some of the characters has led to the tarnish on the franchise. My opinion. Others will feel differently.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NO it's not.

What it means is more stores are not OVER ORDERING the books. That means you will see few X-Men pack dollar bins like they have been doing. The numbers you are seeing now are more actual purchases than orders.

When the X-Men get treated worst than Wally West, Cassandra Cain, John Stewart & Static-then X-Men can talk. Marvel will never let an inexperience writer touch any X-Men book (like New 52 Static) or edited them out of books (Cain) or just get rid of all of them for x years (Wally West).
    You can find instances for comparison. It all comes down to how someone feels about a certain character. For me Wolverine, Professor X...they can be compared to however someone feels Wally or CC, or whoever was treated. Professor X continually demonized over the years. Killed off and (I believe, I'm not reading the books) his living brain now being used by the Red Skull. Wolverine...well for me Wolverine was never a mantle to be passed around. Wolverine was/is Logan. I'm not a fan of him being killed off or of derivative characters. But that's me. That being said, there are two examples right there.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I was honestly sympathetic when I went to two different shops and I saw issues of CWII #1 falling off of the shelves. It will probably still sell very well, but I don't think it's going to be the hit Marvel had expected.

BANNED

Marvel has done many things right over the years, however their killing of the X-Men franchise is just plain sad. If you would have told me 15 years ago that the only X-book selling over 68,000 copies would be Deadpool I would have asked you to pass the bong. I get they don't have the movie rights, but why let the king of comics for the better part of 30 years just fade into oblivion? I don't get it - just because you are pushing the Inhumans doesn't mean the X-Men have to be crap
    If you actually look at the sales chart and discount any title with numbering under 5 (because they haven't settled into their real sales level yet and are still in an artificial relaunch bubble), the X-men books are Marvel's best regular monthly sellers other than Amazing Spiderman. Numerous X books beat all the Avengers titles. It does look a little disheartening at first glance to see Uncanny X-men down around 51st place but once you take out all the event books, the re-birth books with artificially high numbers, and the Marvel relaunch books with artificially high numbers you realize that its doing great considering it has an abnormally high issue number nearing 10 (by today's standards).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    People were so excited for Nighthawk and Hyperion solos that I was legit scared to say that I thought they were bad ideas.
    Well, apparently they really were.
    A new book featuring a D list straight white Causasian man? Of course it was going to be a failure.

Meanwhile, I got my monthly dose of rotting squirrels, I'm happy enough. I wonder how long most of the current Marvel failures will last after the next relaunch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    People were so excited for Nighthawk and Hyperion solos that I was legit scared to say that I thought they were bad ideas.
    Well, apparently they really were.

I'm gonna assume there won't be anything Squadron Supreme related in Marvel NOW!

Aside from that I can't possibly believe they are (probably) giving Moongirl another series.
    Moongirl and DD is an awesome series. Marvel should try to get a cartoon series out of it, it's a natural.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kinwolf View Post
    This is worse than a company earning report. How in hell does suddenly become
    It's clickbait. They added up the numbers of issues 1 and 2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakFan View Post
    What's interesting is if you take out events and Star Wars - you have to go down to #22 to find a Marvel book Deadpool
    And if you take out all the books that had a movie in the past 5 years, and all the books with characters created by either Stan Lee or Jack Kirby, it looks really bad for Marvel! ZOMG!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Im surprised he even made that high numbers to begin with. I mean he even beat Captain America: Steve Rodgers in that month.
    CA:SR #1 got more than 13,000 in reorders. That is more than many DC books like Cyborg or Black Canary sell on a monthly basis, and more than a few Marvel books like Drax and Hyperion.

Also in reorder action: Black Panther #2 with a whopping 16,000! Retailers underestimated how well that book would hold up, so expect #3 to see reorders as well and sales to go up with #4.
    Last edited by jeanvaljean; 07-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    A new book featuring a D list straight white Causasian man? Of course it was going to be a failure.

Meanwhile, I got my monthly dose of rotting squirrels, I'm happy enough. I wonder how long most of the current Marvel failures will last after the next relaunch.
    I am very happy to see the sales of New Avengers featuring Squirrel Girl, All-New Wolverine, Totally Awesome Hulk and Thor go up this month. People are finding out about those great books, it seems. Best of all: Patsy Walker went up a whopping 13.31%!
    Last edited by jeanvaljean; 07-11-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Positive: Ultimates, Captain Marvel, Vision, and Scarlet Witch all went up
    Negative: No X-Men or Avenger title could manage 50,000 copies sold.
    Considering those many number ones and the data from last month i think the X-men line did amazing according to these numbers. Just look how high the top 10 are. Considering people were proably stretching their budgets for all those comics i'm pleased less than 10,000 maxed out and couldn't get the x-men that month.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

What context is that exactly? The main X-book, which was a #1 and direct tie-in with Marvel's big event, was the 34th best selling comic last month. Maybe some are too young to remember, but the main X-book used to cause lines at the LCS on its Wednesday shipping day and was always the #1 best selling book in comics from the Dark Phoenix Saga on for at least 25 years. In 1992 with the launch of X-Men, that book and Uncanny were #1 and #2 by a long ways, only getting beat by special events, for about 10 straight years. Don't take it from me, look at what Marvel's management has said, they've made it no secret they are pushing Inhumans and the expense of X-Men due to movie rights. The creative teams, ad pushes and centrality in the MU has gone way downhill and these are the results
    There is no conspiracy.

Guys like Brubaker, Hickman, Remender and Fraction went back to the indys.

You aren't getting monthy production out of any star artist you can think of other than Land.

If you HAVE to blame another franchise for the X-books problems blame Star Wars.

The John Cassadays, Greg Laroccas and Stuart Immonens would rather draw Vader, Luke, Han and Leia than Storm for the umpteenth time.

The Xbook don't get to have the alleged top fan favorite talent at Marvel anymore because most of those guys would rather
    work for themselves, or if they aren't gonna do that they wanna be on a Star Wars book.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 07-12-2016 at 08:39 AM.

All-New Member

You need to fix your system on picking up previous listings of the same book on the Trades chart or stop listing "Total Reported" sales.

For example, this time around you list the new book Ms Marvel v5: Super Famous as having sold around 3000 copies earlier, presumably mixing it up with the previous Ms. Marvel series' fifth book, Secret Invasion.

Meanwhile, you don't pick up that Spider-Man Masques is actually a relist of the book that came out in January 2012, probably being offered at blow-out prices (since I doubt retailers suddenly collectively decided they needed 1338 copies of it last month at normal discounts when they only ordered 1074 the first time it was offered, and never ordered enough to make the Top 300 in the 52 months between then and now).

There aren't isolated examples, there are a few dozen books you either list at re-orders which are actually new or actually are re-orders that you don't pick up previous sales for.