Super Moderator

Default James Gunn Says SDCC Will Have New Technology to Prevent Piracy

The "Guardians of the Galaxy" director says new tech will impede pirates at this year's Comic-Con International: San Diego.

Full article here.

Dear Mr Gunn,

Best of luck with protecting your fine work at SDCC, but please, please think of the huge majority of fans who can't get to San Diego. Give some thought to throwing us a wee bone or two as well?

Loved Guardians Vol.1

TPD

Trailers. Serious business.

So there is no point in spending the weekend on the internet following comic-con coverage because there will barely be any?

Why can't these studios comprehend the benefits of free viral marketing?

All-New Member

Maybe, just maybe, the studio wants to control how it markets it's projects. I know in 2016 everyone just wants whatever they want when they want it, but boundaries are good. Also patience. Oh and accepting that you're not entitled to anything.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by xJ25x View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the studio wants to control how it markets it's projects. I know in 2016 everyone just wants whatever they want when they want it, but boundaries are good. Also patience. Oh and accepting that you're not entitled to anything.
    Reason why Disney/Marvel are leaving Comic Con next year

Pirates?

A dude hold up a phone while you show a trailer is hardly some dastardly fellow attempting some amazing feat.

Quote Originally Posted by xJ25x View Post

Can you explain to me the marketing of showing a trailer to thousands of people being ok but not anymore than that?

As far as i know these events are also public, right? These arent just press events that are use to build hype through articles.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Can you explain to me the marketing of showing a trailer to thousands of people being ok but not anymore than that?

As far as i know these events are also public, right? These arent just press events that are use to build hype through articles.
    They do release the trailer to everyone, just not right away. The people who paid to get in to that particular event and waited in one of those stupid long lines get the privilege of seeing that trailer or an exclusive clip first. The rest of us poor saps have to wait. I know it's hard to not get whatever you want just because you want it, but that's how the world actually works. It's their property, they can market it and control the marketing however the hell they want. It's also possible that a limited/exclusive viewing early on will build up some hype because the people who have seen it will talk about it with their friends and the people who haven't will want to know what it was.

When you own a big movie studio you can just release the trailer to everyone because it's yours and you can do it your way. I get the free marketing aspect, but maybe that's not what they want. Just because something is free doesn't make it good.

"Secret technology" = all phones and cameras are confiscated by security.

Seriously though, the bloke's just having a laugh - a little wind-up (... right?).

Mighty Member

Yeah, good luck with the anti-piracy thing, lol... Wait, why is filming a public event piracy again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    That's because the footage is unfinished and usually either lacking effects or using some very basic placeholder ones. That's not the sort of thing that'll bother fans seeing it one time in person, but the people watch it over and over again on Youtube will inevitably start bellyaching about it and how crappy it supposedly looks.

Compare the underwhelming Comic-Con trailer for Suicide Squad everyone was meh on and then the actual trailers they did later that got a bunch of people hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Compare the underwhelming Comic-Con trailer for Suicide Squad everyone was meh on and then the actual trailers they did later that got a bunch of people hyped.
    Suicide Squad's SDCC trailer was anything but underwhelming. At one point, it had more views than the BvS trailer. Maybe you were the token "meh."

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Suicide Squad's SDCC trailer was anything but underwhelming.
    Nah, it was pretty meh. The Queen one was a big step up.