Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Peter and Mary Jane back together, preferably in the mainstream Marvel Universe, is the only thing I can think of that could possibly induce me to start reading Spider-Man again.
    I have not only not read Spider-Man, but had no interest (except Renew Your Vows), and have not even posted here for a very long time. I will however, not only get, the Conway Renew Your Vows, but subscribe for it. I have always felt that Pete has had many women, but there were only three realistic possibilities that are long-term: Gwen, Felicia and of course, Mary Jane. MJ is my favorite (Anna Maria is a distant second). I could write an essay on why MJ, but the truth is only with her, do you see a responsible ADULT Peter Parker, and character growth is not only important but CRUCIAL, not only in fiction but in real life. An ADULT Peter & Mary Jane is best for well ADULTS, and the teenage Miles can fullfil the need for the teens and readers of tomorrow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Well they should be happy that those terrible editors at Marvel who don't know how to do their jobs rabble rabble are giving it a chance at the very least.
    I love how this is painted as Marvel daringly going out on a limb. It's Peter Parker Spider-Man. I think it will net them just a few bucks.

By any means necessary but except don't you dare let him make a deal with the "DEVIL" to save the life of someone in his family!
    Peter's come close to killing to protect his family or innocents before (Sin Eater, Kingpin, Carnage), so I'd say that's a bit more in character.

How is bargaining with a demonic entity ("devil" being more than appropriate for short) in his wheelhouse? Especially when it was largely a selfishly-motivated act, a choice he shouldn't have had to make, and of course one made by a sloppy mandate so the heavy hand of editorial is seen within the storyline?

Yeah, I think I know which version of the hero I'd like read to read about. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Who said it had to be an artist we've never heard of? You've often remarked that any writer of a series such as this would be unlikely to have as much of a draw as Dan Slott, and yet we now have Gerry Conway. So it doesn't seem like not having Slott write this book is this inherent barrier preventing name writers from working on the book.
    Conway's a good choice, but I don't think he's the same kind of draw Slott is in the current market.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I wonder how the boards would react if the comic ends with Annie getting shot and Spider-Man has to make a deal with Mephisto at the cost of his marriage to save his daughter, or Mary Jane gets shot and Spider-Man has to give up Annie.

Who is going to be the supporting cast in this book?

Will it be Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Prowler, and Power Pack? Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of super heroes after Regent. But some others could potentially be out there.

Aunt May already died in this world. Captain Stacy and Gwen are also dead.

MJ's Aunt Anna could potentially still be alive. There are some characters at the Bugle like Jonah and Robbie and Ben Urich.

I suppose we could see some potential new characters. Particularly Annie's school friends.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Conway's a good choice, but I don't think he's the same kind of draw Slott is in the current market.
    Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Is Slott that much of a draw outside of Spider-Man? I enjoy Silver Surfer, but I don't think it's ever been a stellar sales success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Who is going to be the supporting cast in this book?

Will it be Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Prowler, and Power Pack? Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of super heroes after Regent. But some others could potentially be out there.

Aunt May already died in this world. Captain Stacy and Gwen are also dead.

MJ's Aunt Anna could potentially still be alive. There are some characters at the Bugle like Jonah and Robbie and Ben Urich.

I suppose we could see some potential new characters. Particularly Annie's school friends.
    It would be nice to see the Bugle supporting cast be relevant again given how underused they've become over the years, especially in ASM.

Peter might be working with the SHIELD remnants to help the world with Regent defeated, so I imagine Hawkeye will be a consistent presence in the book to some degree.

It would also be interesting to see Conway bring in Felicia and see what she's doing (preferably not as a villainous queenpin). It might be fun to see her meet Annie.

I'm curious to see if Peter will be fighting new threats or his traditional Rogues Gallery in a post-Regent world.

By any means necessary but except don't you dare let him make a deal with the "DEVIL" to save the life of someone in his family!
    There is a HUGE difference between doing whatever it takes to save one's CHILD versus saving one's aunt (mom).

Everyone has to bury their parents, no one should have to bury their child.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I love how this is painted as Marvel daringly going out on a limb. It's Peter Parker Spider-Man. I think it will net them just a few bucks.
    Never said it wouldn't. The big question has always been about whether some alternate reality Spider-Man book catering just to the marriage crowd would have legs. It'll definitely sell well, at first.

Especially when it was largely a selfishly-motivated act
    Sure, because letting your parental figure die so you can keep your marriage with a hot model isn't selfish. Quality of story aside, there's no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between doing whatever it takes to save one's CHILD versus saving one's aunt (mom).

Everyone has to bury their parents, no one should have to bury their child.
    Except the decision wasn't between a parental figure and a child. And even parental figures can be taken too soon. Do we not bother saving people because they're older now?
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I wonder how the boards would react if the comic ends with Annie getting shot and Spider-Man has to make a deal with Mephisto at the cost of his marriage to save his daughter, or Mary Jane gets shot and Spider-Man has to give up Annie.
    You know what would be a bit of a fun idea? If it ended with Annie somehow ending up transported to 616 and Peter taking care of her at least until they can get her back home (which if All-New X-Men is anything to judge those kinds of stories on, I hope he has plans for a college savings account for Annie).

At some point, I would like to see Annie meeting her "big sister," Mayday.

BANNED

Never said it wouldn't. The big question has always been about whether some alternate reality Spider-Man book catering just to the marriage crowd would have legs. It'll definitely sell well, at first.
    As with the Renew Your Vows miniseries, no doubt there will be the usual shifting goalposts as to what warrants a true "success".

Sure, because letting your parental figure die so you can keep your marriage with a hot model isn't selfish. Quality of story aside, there's no difference.
    And I'm sure Peter would be burdened with guilt over sacrificing his marriage, if he could only remember it. But he got the easy way out.

Except the decision wasn't between a parental figure and a child. And even parental figures can be taken too soon. Do we not bother saving people because they're older now?
    Just stop. May told Peter to let her go, that it was her time, during the seance in Sensational pre-OMD.

OMD set the precedent that Peter can now go to the Devil to solve his problems any time he so much as stubs his toe.

That's still a big part of the reason why the character is now broken in the 616 (maybe it should be the '666' Peter).

All-New Member

616 is also a candidate for The Number of The Beast, possibly predating 666. So that still works

Did you hurt yourself with that reach? Because that was quite the reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Just stop. May told Peter to let her go, that it was her time, during the seance in Sensational pre-OMD.

OMD set the precedent that Peter can now go to the Devil to solve his problems any time he so much as stubs his toe.

That's still a big part of the reason why the character is now broken in the 616 (maybe it should be the '666' Peter).
    This basically. He outright ignored his Aunt's wishes to move on and be with her husband.

616 "Peter" made a demonic deal and then went to a party like nothing happened. All ring and MJ free.

And it was all worth it. Because at least Peter's "brand new" relationship status on Facebook freed him up for wonderful things like: Carlie Cooper, kinky sex with a kitty cat lady, maybe/maybe not drunken sex with his roommate, rape-y pheromone fueled lust with a woman who was trapped in a bunker for a decade, Lien/Lian, a ship tease with Carol Danvers or Mockingbird, and the continued promise that maybe someday MJ would shut this s*** down. See? Completely worth the destruction of Peter Parker's timeline and character............

It's been almost a decade later and I'm still waiting for OMD to have a payoff. There has to be some really good reason as to why Marvel had their flagship character make a demonic deal. I'm sure it's coming guys. Any day now.

WHATEVER. At least RYV is getting a shot with a good writer and artist. I think it'll be interesting to see a world where Peter (and his daughter) are the only super-powered heroes left. I wonder how he'll deal with that pressure and responsibility?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't think Aunt May would make that same decision now that she got married and got to see Peter succeed in life during Big Time and seeing Peter succeed even more with owning a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know what would be a bit of a fun idea? If it ended with Annie somehow ending up transported to 616 and Peter taking care of her at least until they can get her back home (which if All-New X-Men is anything to judge those kinds of stories on, I hope he has plans for a college savings account for Annie).
    Ha! That'd be fun. She could be at his company touching all the science equipment, and making jokes that he is like Iron Man.
    Last edited by The Negative Zone; 07-15-2016 at 08:19 AM.