Default The SPIDEY Discussion Thread

This book is AMAZING. Don't get me wrong, Dan Slott is my favorite Spider-Man writer of all time, but what Robbie Thompson is doing here is better than anything that Bendis has done with the character when he was writing Ultimate Spider-Man. Hopefully it'll survive Marvel Now! 2.0 because with all due respect to Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man, this is the Spider-Man book that I find myself anticipating more each month.

Also, I know I'm in minority here, but I really would like to see Marvel pushing this book a lot way harder and making it canon, mixed race Osborns and all. Seriously, it's a GREAT entry level Spider-Man book and I'd be devastated to see this one go.

Also, I LOVE the Grant Morrison-esque one page origin story at the beginning. Please Marvel, let us keep this one thing.

Make it into TPBs and keep going with Robbie Thompson writing it and keep Mike Hawthorne and Nate Stockman as rotating artists. The art on this book is incredibly detailed and it's among my favorite in comics right now, easily my favorite in Spidey comics. With Spider-Man: Homecoming just around the corner, it makes sense to keep this book around as an entry level comic for new fans. The book is full of heart and makes for a contemporary young Spidey with so much heart that it's obvious that the creators are giving their everything on this book. PLEASE.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 07-07-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Reading the lastest issue it was fun and a solid hero vs villian tale. Also Gwen got in on some heroics saving a old lady from falling Electro debris (and getting the same type of 'love' Spider-Man gets for it)
    Gwen: "You Okay?" Old Lady: "I was until you tackled me.").
    That part stood out and made me laugh and respect this version of Gwen alot.

The biggest weakness for this series in the past has been in the beginning this Spidey was suppose to be in continuity however there has been some conflicting info from this series. Particular the characterization of Spidey's Gwen Stacy is different enough from the 60's 616 Gwen Stacy plus that Gwen and Peter didn't know each other during high school. That said like many Multiverse created Gwens she is a product and charazation, story, and of our times much like the 60's Gwen was plus she influenced by her, other versions of Gwens and changing culture. This version is a historian nerd vs the scientist angle and her knowledge has served her and Peter well. I also have to say that I love this version of Gwen also (there are versions I dislike and versions I love and this is under the love area).

Once people decided to treat it like a Earth other than 616 version and characters within many people just went off to enjoy the series itself throwing worries of canon out the door.

Now another thing that immediately grabbed my attention for those that know of 616 Spider-Man past is how visually striking that scene with Gwen rushing to push the old lady out of harm's way and saving her life from the falling debris looks alot like Captain Stacy major scene when he went rushing to push a little kid out of harm's way from falling Ock debris but unlike Gwen he got the hit in the process and died. I feel that was made as a shoot out and the fact the call foward to another Stacy's heroic moment that however ended in tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    The biggest weakness for this series in the past has been in the beginning this Spidey was suppose to be in continuity however there has been some conflicting info from this series. Particular the characterization of Spidey's Gwen Stacy is different enough from the 60's 616 Gwen Stacy plus that Gwen and Peter didn't know each other during high school. That said like many Multiverse created Gwens she is a product and charazation, story, and of our times much like the 60's Gwen was plus she influenced by her, other versions of Gwens and changing culture. This version is a historian nerd vs the scientist angle and her knowledge has served her and Peter well. I also have to say that I love this version of Gwen also (there are versions I dislike and versions I love and this is under the love area).
    I'll never understand that from part of fandom. Seriously, never. I mean, from what I understand, Marvel time doesn't work like real time. So the way Gwen Stacy was written back then shouldn't be in continuity. Neither anything from that era. The way I see it, this is a retelling of untold Spider-Man stories via contemporary lenses. With how time operates in Marvel Universe, it makes sense that Peter was a teenager "a long time ago" maybe at beginning of instagram or something, and in the Marvel Universe that's something like mid 2000's. I want Spider-Man's stories to keep contemporary. I like that they got Robbie Thompson to revitalize them. The way I see it, this series was poorly explained and marketed by editorial, but I completely get what he's aiming for here. Imagine that this is the same time from the old Amazing Spider-Man stories, but how they'd look like fifteen years ago. It just makes sense to me, regardless how different Robbie's Gwen is from the original, I don't see inconsistencies at all. It'd look off to have them acting like they did in the 60s in my mind. Oh well.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 07-07-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Probably my favourite Marvel book out there right now. I have hope that they won't reboot/renumber it for Marvel Now! considering it is not canon. I really liked the art in the recent issue, and that Sinister Six tease has me so hyped for the next few issues. Can't wait for Kraven next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Probably my favourite Marvel book out there right now. I have hope that they won't reboot/renumber it for Marvel Now! considering it is not canon. I really liked the art in the recent issue, and that Sinister Six tease has me so hyped for the next few issues. Can't wait for Kraven next issue!
    I actually want this to be considered canon and I'd like to see Dan Slott working with Robbie to make sure of that. I can't see reasons why not. I mean, do people really believe that Spider-Man stories from the 60s should be considered to happen back then? Because you know, that would make Spider-Man old as hell and it just plainly doesn't make any sense. I don't see any reasons why it can't be considered canon. Just go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I actually want this to be considered canon and I'd like to see Dan Slott working with Robbie to make sure of that. I can't see reasons why not. I mean, do people really believe that Spider-Man stories from the 60s should be considered to happen back then? Because you know, that would make Spider-Man old as hell and it just plainly doesn't make any sense. I don't see any reasons why it can't be considered canon. Just go along with it.
    Yeah, there's no reason it isn't canon, it's basically a modernised origin for him. I'm just saying that because it isn't technically in current continuity, hopefully it won't be affected by the relaunch, because there really isn't a reason as to why it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Yeah, there's no reason it isn't canon, it's basically a modernised origin for him. I'm just saying that because it isn't technically in current continuity, hopefully it won't be affected by the relaunch, because there really isn't a reason as to why it should be.
    If it's in continuity and marketed as such the book would sell a lot more and it deserves to sell a lot more. I'm reading all Robbie Thompson's Marvel comics and it's obvious how much he's pouring his heart out with this one. All the others are great, but this one is just different. The level of detail that Hawthorne went for his issues too is just insane, beautiful stuff. THIS is the type of entry level comic that should count in continuity AND get heavily promoted. I just want Robbie to keep getting incentive to keep pouring his heart out for this one, because it truly shows how much thought he's putting for this. I'm scared the book will go away and it shouldn't, because it's truly awesome and should get to be around at the time Spidey's new film is around.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Thanks to Spidey, I haven't had this much fun reading a comic book since DC cancelled Batman '66. This has been a cool and breezy romp I've enjoyed from the first issue, and I certainly hope to continue reading it for a long time to come.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I'm changing this from an appreciation thread to a discussion.

Appreciation threads seem to be about characters, and teams, rather than titles.

http://community.comicbookresources....archid=3408443
    http://community.comicbookresources....443&pp=&page=2

Posts about stories will often lead to criticism of that story or another, which isn't really the point of an appreciation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Personally I think it's one of the better Spider titles out right now. It deals with the simple problems that Peter isn't comfortable dealing with yet, which is refreshing compared to Peter in ASM who doesn't overreact to the baddies he faces.

That and it reminds me of Marvel Adventures Spider-Man which was entertain too.
    Every generation should have a series like this, where you don't have to deal with the big history, and introduce new readers to the iconic characters.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Happy to see Spidey getting some love here, but what I'd really like to see is Marvel with the help of Dan Slott compromising on making this book actually matters. Meaning, in continuity, meaning that these are the adventures of Spider-Man from the main universe when he was younger, not just a Marvel Adventures style of book. Because the stories are truly amazing and I don't know anyone that hasn't read this and fell in love with it. Thompson, Hawthorne and Stockman are pouring their hearts out on this, and it shows. It's a love letter to Spider-Man, and the perfect entry level comic for kids just coming out of Spider-Man: Homecoming. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled with Marvel Now! 2.0, since Stockman already said on twitter that he's already drawing issue #10.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Looks like it's missing from the Marvel Now checklist... Fingers crossed it isn't cancelled.

Yeah.

It's like Marvel doesn't want my money. Oh well, may long Dan Slott's Spider-Man run be. Odin knows that I need at the very least ONE Marvel comic to be very passionate about.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

I haven't picked up the newer issues, but I did enjoy the ones I read. What turned me off was the artist change, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I haven't picked up the newer issues, but I did enjoy the ones I read. What turned me off was the artist change, to be honest.
    I like the new artist, and he seems to be truly giving his all. I find it also very similar to Hawthorne's so the book's identity wasn't affected to me. Waiting for October's full solicitation list to see if the book is there, but the potential for this book is obviously there, I just wish Marvel would promote it more. And make it clear that this IS in continuity. I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be, since the content of what happens in this comic is roughly ten to eleven years ago. With the way that Marvel time works, it just makes sense that a book like this one exists to tell his stories when he was just beginning.
    Pull list: