Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I don't think so. I'm just pointing out what's there. The extreme instant defensiveness and personal attacks let me know I'm on the right track!
    You're also the first one to have made a personal attack, since you're not keeping track.

Refusing to agree with a hidebound ideological agenda is not racism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    You're also the first one to have made a personal attack, since you're not keeping track.

Refusing to agree with a hidebound ideological agenda is not racism.
    Recognizing white privilege and inequal treatment of blacks is not a hidebound ideological agenda, it's honesty. Denying either of those two things is racism.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

The unstoppable force meets the immovable object...

Recognizing white privilege and inequal treatment of blacks is not a hidebound ideological agenda, it's honesty. Denying either of those two things is racism.
    Except that I made no statements about white privilege, etc.; that's all your fevered interpretation. When you accuse a person of racism based on such a flimsy construction, that's a personal attack. At no point did I state "inequal treatment of blacks" did not exist: i simply asserted that your hidebound ideological interpretation of my words possesses reality only in your own mind.

BANNED

Plea bargain never appears in that text, only in your imagination. Nineteen are outright dismissed. There are very few actual moving violations in there, which tends to indicate police found things to charge him with AFTER stopping him. So many stops of this type indicates racial profiling.
    The disposition in a dropped charge due to a plea bargain is dismissed. The disposition in a fix it ticket is dismissed. Exactly what his record shows. Now I cannot say with 100% certainty that this is what happened with him as I don't have access to the prosecutor records in his cases, I can only say with 100% certainty that his record looks exactly like it would look if there were a series of plea bargains and fix it tickets given. There still is no evidence of racial profiling based on record alone. A bad driver driving a crappy car with a laundry list of equipment violations is someone who will get pulled over a lot. Especially if you become known to the local cops as someone with a bad license and a moving equipment violation car because they'll come to know you on sight and know your driving on a bad license - thus you get stopped a lot because they know on sight your driving on a bad license.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 07-18-2016 at 04:16 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    The disposition in a dropped charge due to a plea bargain is dismissed. The disposition in a fix it ticket is dismissed. Exactly what his record shows. Now I cannot say with 100% certainty that this is what happened with him as I don't have access to the prosecutor records in his cases, I can only say with 100% certainty that his record looks exactly like it would look if there were a series of plea bargains and fix it tickets given. There still is no evidence of racial profiling based on record alone. A bad driver driving a crappy car with a laundry list of equipment violations is someone who will get pulled over a lot. Especially if you become known to the local cops as someone with a bad license and a moving equipment violation car because they'll come to know you on sight and know your driving on a bad license - thus you get stopped a lot because they know on sight your driving on a bad license.
    So it IS all in your imagination, then. You have nothing to back up this plea bargain claim, but it conveniently supports an interpretation where police racism isn't real and the black guy is the bad guy.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 07-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Except that I made no statements about white privilege, etc.; that's all your fevered interpretation. When you accuse a person of racism based on such a flimsy construction, that's a personal attack. At no point did I state "inequal treatment of blacks" did not exist: i simply asserted that your hidebound ideological interpretation of my words possesses reality only in your own mind.
    Do you admit that both white privilege and inequal treatment of blacks are real, widespread and pernicious, then?

BANNED

So it IS all in your imagination, then. You have nothing to back up this plea bargain claim, but it conveniently supports an interpretation where police racism isn't real and the black guy is the bad guy.
    You are the one who has provided ZERO evidence of racial profiling other than he's black so therefore it must be racial. Whereas I actually linked to his record and pointed out how his record looks EXACTLY like someones record would look with plea bargains. Anyone familiar with legal records would come to the exact same conclusion I did by looking at his charge dates and the resolutions of his charges: plea bargains and fix it tickets.

Jeez. Counting it, it seems like it's almost fifteen convictions for "Driving After Revocation".

At what point would someone become "Just Guy Who Drives After A Revocation"?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You really don't think that north of five convictions for driving on a revocation puts you on the police's radar?
    In a small town, not in Minneapolis.

Here's a good article that explains the snowballing effect that lead to those revocations, and why Philando kept driving anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/17/us...fic-stops.html

In a small town, not in Minneapolis.

Here's a good article that explains the snowballing effect that lead to those revocations, and why Philando kept driving anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/17/us...fic-stops.html
    You're talking about it like we don't live in a world where almost any cop can run your plates.

As for "Why he decided to keep driving anyway", my dad's old man was a habitual drunk driver. That he thought he had a reason to drive didn't make it a lesser crime.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for "Why he decided to keep driving anyway", my dad's old man was a habitual drunk driver. That he thought he had a reason to drive didn't make it a lesser crime.
    That's a willful act of negligence. What happens to people lie Castile is a status crime. Can't pay a ticket or can't pay for insurance (Castile's issue), get suspended. Have to drive anyway to work, get more tickets, get so buried under it seems like you can never pay them off as each charge escalates. From that article I posted:

Maria Mitchell, an assistant public defender in the county that includes Minneapolis, said Mr. Castile was typical of low-income drivers who lose their licenses, then become overwhelmed by snowballing fines and fees. “Clients just start to feel hopeless,” she said. “Kind of like when your credit gets out of control.”

St. Paul has limited public transportation, activists said, and Mr. Castile’s car allowed him to reach his job with the St. Paul school district, which hired him shortly after he graduated from high school. In the six years after he lost his license, Mr. Castile was pulled over another 21 times, repeatedly convicted of driving with an invalid license, fined and ordered not to drive.
    To his credit, he did have it turned around and was driving legal at the time he was shot.

From the Rules:

BE CIVIL

Treat everyone with civility, keep the snark to a minimum, and do not insult other people. We cannot stress that last part enough: DO NOT INSULT OTHER PEOPLE. Engaging in insulting behavior is a bannable offense, and not the kind you come back from. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been here, whether you’re a newb or veteran, it will not be tolerated. Keep the example we mentioned in the Community Standards in mind; if you wouldn’t say it as a guest in someone else’s home, don’t say it here.