Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Four Years Later..The Odyssey Costume

Hard to believe next week marks four years since the controversial, well-publicized debut of the Wonder Woman Odyssey costume and storyline. I remember sitting in a theater waiting for (I forget which) movie to start when I got the Breaking News alert from The New York Times (never thought "Wonder Woman Gets New Costume" would have been the news that broke!

I truly loved that look from day one, even more so when the jacket was off so we could see the straps. Kinda wish it never went away.

How do people feel about it four years later? Appreciate it more, in hindsight? Still hate it?
    Want it back?
    What would you tweak or change?

wonder-woman-odyssey.jpg

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I love almost everything about this costume. Especially the slightly different version that Ivan Reis drew.

I like the color palate of red, black, and gold. It's very eye-catching and it all looks like it's part of a unified theme. One of my very few complaints about Diana's classic costume was always the bracelets. The classic costume is red, blue, and gold, primarily (there's some white too).......and then off to her sides are these massive silver bracelets that never quite seemed like they completed the theme of the costume. The Odyssey costume was black and red and ALL her accents are gold. It just looks more complete to me. This is why I also like the New 52 costume for the most part: it's red and navy blue and ALL her accents are silver. Silver or gold for the accents. Pick one and stick with it.

Pretty much the only thing I would tweak about the Odyssey costume are:

1.) I like the jacket she was wearing for the most part. Nice for when she wants to walk around and blend in a little better. However? Those Eighties-style shoulder pads were ridiculous. If she were to continue wearing the jacket, I'd want it to be sleeker. Now the jacket doesn't have to stay at all, frankly. But if it does stay that's what I'd change.

2.) I like the all-gold bracelets, but they don't fully encase her arms, which I consider a problem. They don't offer as complete protection. So, yeah. Keep the gold, but make sure they completely wrap around her arms.

3.) Red boots. Her boots blend in with the pants to the point that it looks like she wearing wader pants. Make an obvious divide between the pants and the boots and let the boots be red? Problem solved.

Other than that? I totally loved that costume and wouldn't mind seeing it return at all. If Diana doesn't wear it? It would be kinda cool if Donna or Cassie took it up. They'd look fine in it as well. And I'd love to see New 52 Cassie in it because that would mean she'd have to ditch that garbage demon-armor upon which she's so dependent in the New 52. Words cannot express the hatred I bear for that whole concept.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think you sum its appeal up nicely, Vanguard.

I find the ornate belt and bracelets striking and like the overall, less superhero-y more fantasy figure look.
    If I had to make changes, I agree that something in the boot area (though I think subtle gold accents would work for me) and a more contemporary jacket. At the risk of blasphemy, I think the Odyssey outfit would work without a tiara.

Hoping an upcoming Sensation arc revisits this look and period.

I only liked it when it looked like this (I Know I keep saying this but....)

The WW was bigger and looked like it used to. Her hair wasn't straight, but wavy. I would have been fine with or without the jacket. Ivan Reis made me like it in this one drawing. I wish he was on the book instead of who we got on it. I think it would have went over better.
    Richard Alexander

It was very ... "I'm ashamed I'm working in supeheroes, how can I make a costume that looks like something they'd wear in a movie?" combined with some "grim and gritty 90s throw a jacket over it and change all the colors to black".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It was very ... "I'm ashamed I'm working in supeheroes, how can I make a costume that looks like something they'd wear in a movie?" combined with some "grim and gritty 90s throw a jacket over it and change all the colors to black".
    The point was that she was raised in a city and not an exotic island, and she didnt decide to become a superhero, more like she was a girl who found out she was an Amazon and got tangled up with everything that goes with it. She was a female Percy Jackson of sorts. So i think her suit made sense for that specific story.

I'd add red boots, give her a bigger golden breastplate, remove the 90ies jacket and she's good to go.

Astonishing Member

Take out the jacket and give it to Donna Troy.

It was a pretty good look. Looked best without the jacket but was cool with it too. The criss-crossing straps around the arms were my favorite feature. I still think its an overall better design than the New 52 costume (I like it, this one is just better).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-28-2014 at 09:40 PM.

I'm horrible with paint/etc. Here she is with red boots. If somebody who is a better colorist/artist than I am wants to take a stab at it please do. Make her Tiara like the classic one while you are at it....and maybe make the Bracelets cover here forearms completely. lol. I also think that maybe she would look better with the classic red/white boots, but instead of the white, make it gold.

Richard Alexander

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Heh. That costume always gave me a "What do you mean, Matrix isn't cool anymore?" kind of vibe.
    It might at looked great in 2002, but by the time it came out, it was the very definition of outdated.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Never understood the hate it got. Although, I have to agree that even when it came out, it looked really dated. I love the idea of straps on Wonder Woman, because with how well-endowed she's often depicted, there's no way she could run around without any. But they just look too weird.

BANNED

I think it's one of the best costume she's ever worn.

I just never felt like I was looking at Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I truly loved that look from day one, even more so when the jacket was off so we could see the straps. Kinda wish it never went away.
    (+1) ..Also, issue #609 should of won an Eisner, for best single issue.
    #MagnetoWasRight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    The point was that she was raised in a city and not an exotic island, and she didnt decide to become a superhero, more like she was a girl who found out she was an Amazon and got tangled up with everything that goes with it. She was a female Percy Jackson of sorts. So i think her suit made sense for that specific story.

I'd add red boots, give her a bigger golden breastplate, remove the 90ies jacket and she's good to go.
    It still more superhero-ish than what a urban girl would use if she learned that she was a superhero.

No to the jacket, the pants/boots are too black. straps on the top was a really good idea that should stick.