Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    The difference there is she clearly comes from a tropical island and when one thinks of tropical islands, one does not immediately think "pants", and if one did, they'd be cotton or linen and most definitely not black leather, tucked seamlessly into black leather boots. That doesn't scream Bermuda Triangle.
    This version of Diana didn't come from a tropical island, or any other kind of island.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This version of Diana didn't come from a tropical island, or any other kind of island.
    Yes she did originally, but she was raised on the run mostly in Turkey and eventually settled in New York.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

People in the 50's had leather jackets. People today still have leather jackets. Leather jackets are pretty much timeles.

Black Canary had one in the 40's.
    I, myself, happen to own a leather jacket.

The difference there is she clearly comes from a tropical island and when one thinks of tropical islands, one does not immediately think "pants", and if one did, they'd be cotton or linen and most definitely not black leather, tucked seamlessly into black leather boots. That doesn't scream Bermuda Triangle.
    Diana spent very little time anywhere near a true tropical climate. Leather pants would've made perfect sense in New York and the Middle East, climate-wise. And we don't know how long she had been wearing those pants. It was likely a relatively new development for her.

In Odyssey, she wasn't trying to dress to reflect the island culture in which she was never raised. She was trying to look like a modern girl who just wanted to live her life.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

The outfit made sense for someone navigating New York sewers, but I was explaining why traditionally pants look out of place on Wonder Woman.

A lot of people own leather jackets and that was part of the problem with the Odyssey costume. It was too common and pedestrian, she looked more like a mall rat than a superhero. The benefit to that was it was easy to cosplay because many of the items comprising the costume were so ordinary. Sorry about the huge pics, I didn't feel like resizing and re-uploading.

The red, black and gold color scheme was genius though. Navy blue wouldn't have been anywhere near as cool. All in all the Odyssey costume was a good addition to Diana's wardrobe of alternate looks. It fits well beside the biker outfit and the tv show's star spangled scuba suit. I liked it much better than the non-regulation WW costume contained within the same story.

The outfit made sense for someone navigating New York sewers, but I was explaining why traditionally pants look out of place on Wonder Woman.
    Ah. Gotcha.

Yeah, that's why I never considered pants all that essential for her until that costume came along. Honestly, if people want Diana more covered up, I think the battle skirt is a perfectly acceptable compromise. It looks like part of her culture, it covers more of her than the swimsuit, and it still shows enough skin to titillate. Everyone wins.

Very nice!

The red, black and gold color scheme was genius though. Navy blue wouldn't have been anywhere near as cool. All in all the Odyssey costume was a good addition to Diana's wardrobe of alternate looks. It fits well beside the biker outfit and the tv show's star spangled scuba suit. I liked it much better than the non-regulation WW costume contained within the same story.
    Yeah.

And like I said, I'd be perfectly fine if DC gave the Odyssey costume, or something very similar to it, to Donna or Cassie instead of Diana. Donna, in particular, would look great in it.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Four years later and I'm STILL glad it was just a silly gimmick! What an unimaginative costume! And black leather? On Wonder Woman??? NO!!!!! The version drawn by Reis is the ONLY acceptable one, and if it were to be made into her mainstream outfit, I'd hope they simplified all those tacky straps and chose a bigger font for her "W"... All in all, this was not a look that suited Diana. Sorry, but I like my superheroes bright and shiny and full of hope. Which is why I read DC and not Marvel or Image.... Anyway, that USED to be the case....

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Four years later and I'm STILL glad it was just a silly gimmick! What an unimaginative costume! And black leather? On Wonder Woman??? NO!!!!! The version drawn by Reis is the ONLY acceptable one, and if it were to be made into her mainstream outfit, I'd hope they simplified all those tacky straps and chose a bigger font for her "W"... All in all, this was not a look that suited Diana. Sorry, but I like my superheroes bright and shiny and full of hope. Which is why I read DC and not Marvel or Image.... Anyway, that USED to be the case....
    It wasn't a gimmick. The story ended with Diana still in the costume, with Hippolyta remarking on it favorably. All evidence pointed to Diana staying in that costume.

The only thing that got her out of the costume was the coming of Flashpoint and the universe reboot.

And what wasn't full of hope about Odyssey Diana? She fought dark and sinister monsters, showed compassion toward her enemies, and defeated the evil and restored her people to their former glory. The story ended with her flying into her mother's arms, joyous that she was no longer dead.

Dark things happened. Diana was the bright light that defeated that darkness. She set everything right in the end and the story ended on a happy note. Sounds like a Wonder Woman story to me.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

And black leather? On Wonder Woman?
    Oh, I'm sure Marston would totally aprove.

BANNED

Oh, I'm sure Marston would totally aprove.
    I agree, he'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It wasn't a gimmick. The story ended with Diana still in the costume, with Hippolyta remarking on it favorably. All evidence pointed to Diana staying in that costume.

The only thing that got her out of the costume was the coming of Flashpoint and the universe reboot.

And what wasn't full of hope about Odyssey Diana? She fought dark and sinister monsters, showed compassion toward her enemies, and defeated the evil and restored her people to their former glory. The story ended with her flying into her mother's arms, joyous that she was no longer dead.

Dark things happened. Diana was the bright light that defeated that darkness. She set everything right in the end and the story ended on a happy note. Sounds like a Wonder Woman story to me.
    Amen brother, you're preaching to the choir.

BANNED

Ah. Gotcha.

Yeah, that's why I never considered pants all that essential for her until that costume came along. Honestly, if people want Diana more covered up, I think the battle skirt is a perfectly acceptable compromise. It looks like part of her culture, it covers more of her than the swimsuit, and it still shows enough skin to titillate. Everyone wins.

Very nice!

Yeah.

And like I said, I'd be perfectly fine if DC gave the Odyssey costume, or something very similar to it, to Donna or Cassie instead of Diana. Donna, in particular, would look great in it.
    It would be great if DC recycled the look for the upcoming Donna debut. I'm not sure they have that kind of insight though.

It would be great if DC recycled the look for the upcoming Donna debut. I'm not sure they have that kind of insight though.
    Eh. They might. Sometimes, they can be lazy. Why go back to the drawing board and re-design an entire costume, when they can just use that design, or even parts of it?

But yeah, it remains to be seen just how changed Donna will end up being when she returns. It may or may not still work.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Sorry, but from my point of view, black leather belongs on street level or Marvel characters. I HATE seeing Diana or Superman in black. GROSS!

Sorry, but from my point of view, black leather belongs on street level or Marvel characters. I HATE seeing Diana or Superman in black. GROSS!
    I care a lot more about the hero's heart and deeds than I do about his/her choice of clothes.

She wore black leather. Big deal. She was as great and noble a hero as she ever was when she wore red, blue, white, gold, and silver. She saved the day and she made the world a better place.

She wore dark clothes. She was still a shining light. That's what matters.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--