Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Geoff Johns Co-Wrote "Wonder Woman" Movie Script

DC's Chief Creative Officer worked with Allan Heinberg to script the Amazonian icon's first big screen solo outing.

Full article here.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Haven't read Heinberg's WW run, but he IS a good writer, so cool. Johns? Oh dear... seriously, I love 80% of his work, but the man cannot write Wonder Woman to save his life.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Amazing Member

Honestly, I think it's as big a deal, or bigger, that Allan (Young Avengers, Wonder Woman) Heinberg was the other writer. If anybody knows the comics version of the character its Johns and Heinberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Barbarian View Post
    Haven't read Heinberg's WW run, but he IS a good writer, so cool. Johns? Oh dear... seriously, I love 80% of his work, but the man cannot write Wonder Woman to save his life.
    Just curious, have you read Darkseid War? I thought he did a pretty good job with her there.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yeah, Johns had a recent revelation about Diana and he started writing her darn well by the end of his JL run. He said he was drawing heavy inspiration from Perez and Jimenez.

He got better with her very quickly.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

so cool. Johns? Oh dear... seriously, I love 80% of his work, but the man cannot write Wonder Woman to save his life.
    Johns got bored of his warrior woman and wrote WW as a character in his latter half of JL :P

Amazing Member

He can barely stream a sentence together.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Not sure what to think about this, honestly. Heinberg's WW run isn't, if I recall correctly, remembered very fondly (if at all), and Johns has been hit-or-miss with the character. Also, they're working from a story that Snyder helped develop...

I'm still extremely interested in this movie (despite skipping BvS), but my enthusiasm is a little diminished after this news.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Just curious, have you read Darkseid War? I thought he did a pretty good job with her there.
    too much monologue, but much better than what he did before. But I don't consider him a good WW writer.

hope everything go well, because johns, heinberg and snyder is very not exciting

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Wasn't the Heinberg run mostly about Donna Troy in the first 2 or 3 issues of the 6 issue arc? If so, how does that make him a Wondy expert if half his run was focusing on another character?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    too much monologue, but much better than what he did before. But I don't consider him a good WW writer.

hope everything go well, because johns, heinberg and snyder is very not exciting
    You're forgetting Patty Jenkins. It's her movie. Snyder has next to no involvement.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

A couple of years ago Johns began communicating with Phil jimenez, and began exploring the thoughts of other writers to get at the heart of who Wonder Woman was. At least that's my understanding. I honestly think Geoff genuinely fell in love with the character and his writing of the character has reflected that. johns is immensely talented. I think we are going to get something really special. Can't wait for the first extended trailer!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    a couple of years ago johns began communicating with phil jimenez, and began exploring the thoughts of other writers to get at the heart of who wonder woman was. At least that's my understanding. I honestly think geoff genuinely fell in love with the character and his writing of the character has reflected that. Johns is immensely talented. I think we are going to get something really special. Can't wait for the first extended trailer!
    2 more weeks!!!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    You're forgetting Patty Jenkins. It's her movie. Snyder has next to no involvement.
    Snyder laid out the story:

"Jenkins directs the film from a screenplay by Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns, story by Zack Snyder & Allan Heinberg".

It is basically like how Nolan was to MoS, and that was very much still Snyder's baby. So it is no worry, not that anyone should be worried.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Spectacular Member

Normally I'd be concerned about multiple writers being involved but seeing that it's Johns and Heinberg I'm actually encouraged.

Say what you will about Johns but he knows comics and while I didn't love Heinberg's arc I think the issues was more the timing of it as launching a new #1 and the use of the villain. The quality was there so I'm hoping it translates into the film.

My only concern is that Diana is described as 'leaving' the island which I hope is under the results of The Contest and they don't have her up and leave like on the JL animated series.