Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

It always look to me that pushing Cyborg is a decision from the WB higher-ups. They need diversity in DCEU, they saw Ironman being popular and sold a lot of merchandises, they probably knew Cyborg from Super Friends or Teen Titans cartoon.

Vic is not even among the more popular charcters in NTT, Donna Troy probably has more fans than him, he's also probably the least popular member in Teen Titans cartoon, less than Terra, a character only appeared in handful of episodes. It would be weird if an industry veteran like Geoff Johns thought it is a good decision to push Cyborg as the top black Superhero. He didn't show much interest in the character during his Justice League run either.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 07-12-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There was clearly a market for a Cyborg book as the first issue sold really well. I'm sure Reis' art helped. The book steadily lost readers with each issue. I know a lot of people were critical of Walker's writing. It's one of the lowest selling books right now but issue #1 debuted with 45,187 in estimated sales. Not monster numbers but it beat out Batman/Superman, Batgirl, The Flash, etc. I think DC just dropped the ball.
    Not sure shops knew how to order Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    I am...I really don't know what he's talking about.
    I believe what skyvolt means is that other black characters are far more well received than Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if David Walker's poor writing during the last volume made some readers lose interest in the character.

Is not that his direction was bad, is just that his execution was incredibly underwhelming, there were several problems in terms of pacing and narration that makes me wonder how the hell this could have been done by someone with an actual career at comic books. Nonetheless, even without the clunky craft, the story itself was pretty by the numbers and dull following a lot of cliches that come with the "man who is turned into a monster" trope.

Hell, even Marv Frikking Wolfman with his old school sensibilities was able to do a better job than Walker (at least narration and character-wise). I'm sincerely hoping that the new writer manages to grab the audience's attention starting from the first issue because otherwise, I doubt that people will be happy by being fooled twice.
    Walker mentioned issues with editors so that may be a factor. He's done well on other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It always look to me that pushing Cyborg is a decision from the WB higher-ups. They need diversity in DCEU, they saw Ironman being popular and sold a lot of merchandises, they probably knew Cyborg from Super Friends or Teen Titans cartoon.

Vic is not even among the more popular charcters in NTT, Donna Troy probably has more fans than him, he's also probably the least popular member in Teen Titans cartoon, less than Terra, a character only appeared in handful of episodes. It would be weird if an industry veteran like Geoff Johns thought it is a good decision to push Cyborg as the top black Superhero. He didn't show much interest in the character during his Justice League run either.
    They picked him because Johns wanted to keep Hal as the JL Green Lantern.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Are there much alternatives? There aren't many popular black characters, and Cyborgs technology based powers are at least different from what the the ones of the iconic members.
    The only real alternatives would imo have been a powerful magician (was there ever a black one?) or maybe John Steward (I'm not a Green Latern Fan and don't know how popular he is in comparison to the other Lantern).

Other Black Characrers like Vixen, Black Lightning, Steel, Herald and Bumble Bee don't seem for me to be powerfull enough for being Founding members of the Justice League. (And cyborg seems anyway to be able to replicate most of the powers of these heros).

I tried first three issues and thought it was mediocre at best. And yes, Cyborg as a founding member of the Justice League was a huge mistake. He belongs in Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Are there much alternatives? There aren't many popular black characters, and Cyborgs technology based powers are at least different from what the the ones of the iconic members.
    The only real alternatives would imo have been a powerful magician (was there ever a black one?) or maybe John Steward (I'm not a Green Latern Fan and don't know how popular he is in comparison to the other Lantern).

Other Black Characrers like Vixen, Black Lightning, Steel, Herald and Bumble Bee don't seem for me to be powerfull enough for being Founding members of the Justice League. (And cyborg seems anyway to be able to replicate most of the powers of these heros).
    If being extremely powerful were a requirement, Green Arrow, Batman, the Hawks and others wouldn't be on the team. Also, Black Lightning once shut down a satellite. Sounds pretty powerful to me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If being extremely powerful were a requirement, Green Arrow, Batman, the Hawks and others wouldn't be on the team. Also, Black Lightning once shut down a satellite. Sounds pretty powerful to me.
    Appart from Batman these guys afaik aren't currently in the league, and are usually not seen as iconic members, which is a status DC is apparently trying to give Cyborg, by including him not only in comics but also in the live action and animated movies.

And Batman is just not a good comparison since he is allready DCs most popular character. But if you want to make an obscure character (like most of DCs black heros) a core member of the Justice League (which is composed of DCs most popular heros), him being powerful definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Also, Black Lightning once shut down a satellite. Sounds pretty powerful to me.
    I Know him only from the Outsiders series, where he imo wasn't particulary powerfull. I still think that Cyborg (or at least in the new 52 version) is more powerful and has it easier to be relevant with having Superman, Wonder Woman, Green lantern and the rest around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Someone pointed out in another thread that his sales don't seem in line with his apparent popularity, so I thought I'd see what people here had to say. If you're not buying Cyborg, why not?
    Cos he's not that popular with me. Never been a fan of Cyborg for me there have always been cooler/better options for everything he's been in. he's a bit dull in my opinion. Plus I was a bit annoyed when he got shoe horned into the Justice League from Titans. Jeff Pierce should have got the League spot, no question.

Astonishing Member

Disagree on these three immensely for a few reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Simple
    1) He is a lame non modern Cyborg. DC refuses to let the character evolve and be modern. I watch anime all the time with better Cyborgs.
    2) He is the Tech Support/Taxi Driver that DC refused to allow to shine or be cool. Adapatative weaponry shouldn't be so boring.
    3) He was better as a Titan. Stripping that from him doesn't work.

Main Point:
    I am fundamentally opposed to him being the main Black Hero in the DCU both cinematic and comic. Sorry not good enough. I take War Machine over him from the movies. I am not even a fan of Rhodey. Falcon is Jupiter compared to Cyborg's Pluto and Black Panther might as well be the sun. I am not here for the Black dude to be all nonhuman looking and Missing his package. The only reason he is getting pushed is because Geoff Johns hates John Stewart because he is a Hal Jordan Fanboy. I take Vixen, Static, Black Lightning, Steel. Basically anyone over Cyborg.
    What's wrong with machine enhancements? That's the coolest part of the character. He still has a human silhouette and no one is going to mistake him for an alien cyborg. The world doesn't run on Shadow Run rules. Fixing broken body parts with human ingenuity and machines doesn't make you less human.

BANNED

Sounds like they just need a really good team to add to the character. I think he's got potential for sure....maybe DC will give him some TLC.

Mighty Member

Yet, it's okay to include Batman with his 'powerful' detective ability?

None of the trifecta for why I choose to pick up a superhero comic is there: I have no previous attachement to the character, there's no hook or premise strong enough to catch my attention, and I don't find the creative team to be above average. I might check out a few Rebirth issues though, mostly out of nostalgis for Semper's work on the 90's animated Spider-Man TV-show.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow