Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why aren't you buying Cyborg?

Someone pointed out in another thread that his sales don't seem in line with his apparent popularity, so I thought I'd see what people here had to say. If you're not buying Cyborg, why not?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Someone pointed out in another thread that his sales don't seem in line with his apparent popularity, so I thought I'd see what people here had to say. If you're not buying Cyborg, why not?
    Well I just started reading DC and I think Cyborg is really awesome but I'm waiting for his Rebirth series. Once it hits I'll be buying...

Until then I'm waiting for comixology to have a sale on his older stuff.

I'm buying Cyborg.........
    The J-man

BANNED

I really think that people are just more focused on Rebirth. There are so many new comics from DC and most people only want to spend a certain amount that so their money is probably going to new stuff.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

I bought the first few issues of his series, and I just didn't find interest in the series. The book simply didn't appeal to me or keep my attention. Nothing wrong with that. A book isn't for everyone.

I never read "Teen Titans" in its heyday and don't have any interest in the character.

Astonishing Member

Ivan Reis was the only part of the creative team who caught my attention, but he wasn't on the book long.

BANNED

I feel guilty now... since i heard that Cyborg doesn't sell well... I like Cyborg. I like Teen Titans. Geoff Johns's run was what made me like Teen Titans and i support Cyborg in JLA even if that means no Martian Manhunter unfortunatly... :/ but i already follow so many books as trades... i don't think i can ever pick up Cyborg. Even if i do, does picking up the trade help the sales ? i don't think so... i think only picking up the single issues will do the job right ? and i'm done with single issues.
    Last edited by Batarang; 07-12-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    So in addition to having a character one likes, art one likes, and a writer/story one might like, it has to be perceived as a "cool" book or part of a "cool" line of comics before people will buy it?
    I think there are certainly factors beyond those three that work for or against books, and yes some people will only pick something up if it is popular with others, but my point was more with regards to individual contentment, and how that probably was something affecting a many DC readers.

In a nutshell, if someone is a Batman fan, they probably read some number of DC titles as well, but they mainly care about Batman. If Batman starts sucking, they probably stop buying Batman, so they stop buying other stuff. Or maybe they just stop buying other stuff, but buy Batman out of habit. If they blame DC You for Batman sucking, they probably drop new stuff that represents DC You.

To see the reverse happen, look at Rebirth. Did anything actually happen to change the comics? Sure, there are a few things that spring directly from the revelation of the Rebirth one shot, but there are a lot of books that people are excited about just because they were happy with Rebirth that have really nothing to do with anything storywise that happened in Rebirth.

#1 started with a wall of text on some of the early pages and that's a huge turn of for me or rather I have trouble reading such pages. The story did not intrigue me either but the ideas John Semper talked about on the Rebirth panel were good so I will try again.

He got the book because he was now a founding Justice League member. the page or two I read in nuJL1 basically was him going through the stuff I read when Wolfman and Perez did it. There was no real hook for me to want to read it.

By the time the first trade came out most reviews of the series were getting negative and the art in the newer previews had went downhill (based on my personal taste). Just didn't seem like a ship worth jumping on at that point, even though I had intended to get the trade after the first issue was released.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Because after reading for a time I felt like the book sucked and I had wasted my money.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

My favorite stories with Cyborg were when he was with the Titans. I don't mind him in JLA, but I am not interested enough in reading his solo stories.

Sorry but I just wasn't interested after the first 2 issues. I may try again.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.