Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

He works as a support character rather then a main. Everything about him screams support character, from his useful, but not particularly flashy power set to his kind of archaic visuals. And anyone saying his power set is more versatile then vixens, is really underestimating how powerful vixen is. Vixen is theoretically immortal.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-13-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    He works as a support character rather then a main. Everything about him screams support character, from his useful, but not particularly flashy power set to his kind of archaic visuals. And anyone saying his power set is more versatile then vixens, is really underestimating how powerful vixen is. Vixen is theoretically immortal.
    So is Cyborg. There's nothing wrong with his concept, he just needs good stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    Yet, it's okay to include Batman with his 'powerful' detective ability?
    Like I said Batman is DC by most popular character, he doesn't need powers to stand out. But if you want to establish a realtivly unknow character as core member of member of the a Justice League incarnation which is composed of DCs biggest characters, and not only in a comic series but in pop culture in general (that seems to be DC goal or he would be in the DCEU), he should somehow bring something new usefull powers to the table.

Mighty Member

I’m never been a big JLA fan – I prefer other DC teams (Legion, Titans) – so when DC severed Vic’s connection to the Titans, I lost interest in the character. Vic of the Titans interests me; Vic of the JLA does not. Frankly, given the manner in which DC eviscerated the Titans in the nu52 world, I just stopped reading any DC title regularly but that’s for a different message thread.

I prefer him in books with Starfire and Raven tbh.

BANNED

OK, next question:

Imagine we had an issue of the upcoming "Titans" series where Wally shook hands with Cyborg and there was that spark and suddenly everybody remembered that Cyborg used to hang out with the Titans, he just wasn't there for the battle with Mr. Twister. However, he was going to stay with the JLA, not rejoin the Titans. Would you then:

1. Start buying back issues of Cyborg now that his ties to the Titans have been reestablished and therefore all of those stories were about a Cyborg who actually HAD been a member of the Titans. And/or
    2. Start buying the new Cyborg series, when you weren't going to before, now that you know the character had actually been a Titan before?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    OK, next question:

Imagine we had an issue of the upcoming "Titans" series where Wally shook hands with Cyborg and there was that spark and suddenly everybody remembered that Cyborg used to hang out with the Titans, he just wasn't there for the battle with Mr. Twister. However, he was going to stay with the JLA, not rejoin the Titans. Would you then:

1. Start buying back issues of Cyborg now that his ties to the Titans have been reestablished and therefore all of those stories were about a Cyborg who actually HAD been a member of the Titans. And/or
    2. Start buying the new Cyborg series, when you weren't going to before, now that you know the character had actually been a Titan before?
    I don't think that would make a difference one way or another. For people who thought his series was bland, it wouldn't make the art or script in those issues suddenly better. Fixing the continuity is good but it's not a guarantee that the new comics will be high quality

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think that would make a difference one way or another. For people who thought his series was bland, it wouldn't make the art or script in those issues suddenly better. Fixing the continuity is good but it's not a guarantee that the new comics will be high quality
    I'd like it but I agree with this. It only fixes his past somewhat, but it wouldn't fix his present characterization or lack there of. People can/will still find him uninteresting. It'd be a step in the right direction as he'd finally be dealing with people around his age and he'd have a larger pool of potential support characters to bounce off of.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

OK, next question:

Since my not reading Cyborg has nothing to do with his Titans history or lack thereof and everything to do with how the character has been handled restoring that history wouldn't be enough alone to get me to buy the book. Giving him a writer that can move him passed "Am I a man or monster" idea and can develop him in an interesting direction while telling an enjoyable story would get me to read the new book.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-13-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

OK, next question:

1. I already bought it, so no, but also why would anyone? The back issues will be in a continuity where that history and connection is still erased.

2. I'm already going to, but simply saying it exists isn't enough to give people what they want. Will he be having crossovers with the Titans both in their comics and his own. Will flashbacks or thought bubbles in his own book make any references to these guys? Plus that still wouldn't help the people that really only liked him as part of the titans. I can understand, I feel the same way about the current aquaboy. I'm liking him on the team, but I wouldn't want to follow him in his own solo.

Ultimate Member

OK, next question:

You can do all that but it does not help the solo book.

How does that history work with the book now?

His past would not prevent Wally and friends from being in his book as guest stars. They can show up now or whenever.

He needs a direction of his own beyond the same old tired stories that we have seen from the last 26 years.

The post Gail Simone era on Batgirl to me is what Cyborg needs done. You saw her social life, love life and fighting crime, You even saw her friendship with Dinah grow.

If we have to talk Cyborg being upset about what he is-go get Baby Doomsday from the Doom book and let them room together. At least then you can eventually end up with both being fine with what they are and finally end the woe is me I am a freak storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It always look to me that pushing Cyborg is a decision from the WB higher-ups. They need diversity in DCEU, they saw Ironman being popular and sold a lot of merchandises, they probably knew Cyborg from Super Friends or Teen Titans cartoon.

Vic is not even among the more popular charcters in NTT, Donna Troy probably has more fans than him, he's also probably the least popular member in Teen Titans cartoon, less than Terra, a character only appeared in handful of episodes. It would be weird if an industry veteran like Geoff Johns thought it is a good decision to push Cyborg as the top black Superhero. He didn't show much interest in the character during his Justice League run either.
    I don't like him as a big robot. I actually went into the shop today in order to get the lushly drawn Wonder Woman and saw him on the cover. I saw the title first and moved to pick it up. Then I saw the rendering of him. It was a glob of silver with a tiny piece of his head.

I have never been into that kind of character. I like his old Titans look or even his OmegaDrone phase where though he could 'transform' he retained his human appearance.

I picked up Marvel's Black Panther instead.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It always look to me that pushing Cyborg is a decision from the WB higher-ups. They need diversity in DCEU, they saw Ironman being popular and sold a lot of merchandises, they probably knew Cyborg from Super Friends or Teen Titans cartoon.

Vic is not even among the more popular charcters in NTT, Donna Troy probably has more fans than him, he's also probably the least popular member in Teen Titans cartoon, less than Terra, a character only appeared in handful of episodes. It would be weird if an industry veteran like Geoff Johns thought it is a good decision to push Cyborg as the top black Superhero. He didn't show much interest in the character during his Justice League run either.
    I find that highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    His visuals can be updated and he already has a built in supporting cast his father and Sara who were around as far back as his early Titan days.

How is Vixen immortal?

Cyborg power set is actually pretty flashy, and yes more versatile then Vixens. In this day in age at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I like Cyborg, I just don't really care about him outside of the Titans. He will always be a Titan to me and I still miss that part of his history, especially his relationship with Beast Boy. And not being familiar with any of the main writers for his solo books doesn't help. Ivan Reis is great though.
    I feel EXACLTY the same. I wish that his move to Justice League never happened. I miss him in Titans. Titans Rebirth was my favorite Rebirth title by far but Rao I wish he was on that picture with the rest of them. And in the present. Can't he be in both teams at least? It didn't stop Wolverine back then.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X