Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

The name Nighthawk isn't in use anymore...just throwing that out there.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Finally got caught up on Falcon, and I actually liked how Joaquin was handled on the whole. My favorite part has to be the beginning of issue #5 were Sam and Joaquin reconcile and the two make known how much they mean to each other (I appreciated the writer for not shying with having two guys using the world love in doing so), with Joaquin even saying he sees Sam as a father-figure, in addition to mentor and friend.

Rayshaun showing some insecurities about the whole situation they were in, as well as questioning his vigilante-ing decisions as a whole, including feeling he has to live to Joaquin in issue #4 as the better partner, was actually pretty humbling. He's shown to be very strong-willed and opinionated, to the point of being forward and crass at his worst, so I liked the soul-bearing moment he had there. His totes jelly pouting when Sam and Joaquin have their moment was kinda cute, too.

On the flip side, I'm still not gung-ho on Sam being Falcon as compared to being Captain America, or "the one true Falcon" in belie of Joaquin's existence. Though Joaquin taking the mature route is nice for his character on the one hand, on the other, I can't say I appreciated the implications of him being made to do so. Joaquin has as much claim to the name Falcon as Sam (seniority not even factoring), I feel, just like Miles and Peter to Spider-Man, and I didn't like how rough-shod they had Shaun pour on the name-changing jokes and overall jabs he was doing at Joaquin's expense throughout most of their interactions (Shaun's all good giving Joaquin his props when he's not around, but can't stop ragging on him when he's right next to the guy...). Like, I wouldn't have been taken aback if Joaquin decked him by the end of it all. Also, when Sam was on the field with his two proteges in #5, him referring to Shaun as Patriot but to Joaquin by his given name was also irksome to me, since it made tell that even Sam doesn't acknowledge Joaquin as being Falcon, even though that's still his hero name. All that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, I enjoyed it overall. I'm hoping that Joaquin becomes a mainstay in the new book.
    Joaquin was shown fighting crime together with Shaun on Champions, which gives me the image that they're probably pretty good friends. I think Shaun's just playfully messing around at Joaquin's expense, and I don't think he takes it personally. In Champions his little intro box said that he was looking for a new name so I don't think he's even going by Falcon anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    The name Nighthawk isn't in use anymore...just throwing that out there.
    Two things. For one, Tilda Johnson is currently using the name, even if she's currently in limbo as of the end of Occupy Avengers. Second and I think most pertinent, the name Nighthawk carries with it a connotation that does not suit Joaquin Torres on a number of fundamental levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Joaquin was shown fighting crime together with Shaun on Champions, which gives me the image that they're probably pretty good friends. I think Shaun's just playfully messing around at Joaquin's expense, and I don't think he takes it personally. In Champions his little intro box said that he was looking for a new name so I don't think he's even going by Falcon anymore.
    I haven't read that issue myself, but I did hear about that not long after it came out.

Playful or not, though, I did think it felt too heavy handed in Falcon #5.