Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Joaquín Torres: The All New, All Different FALCON Appreciation!

My apologies if this already exists, but I couldn't find one.
    For those of you that don't know (taken from Marvel wiki):

Joaquín Torres came to the United States with his mother and grandmother when he was six years old. He lived in Tucson, Arizona, and he graduated from high school in the honor roll.

Joaquín also cared for the Mexican community, specially those trying to come to the United States. He would leave water, food and medicine for the people trying to cross the border. He was kidnapped by the Sons of the Serpent, as part of their agenda to capture people in the border to send them Karl Malus for experimenting.

Captain America (Sam Wilson) was informed of Joaquín's disappearance by his grandmother Mariana, and the hero investigated the case and ultimately came to face Malus. Cap found Joaquín in Malus' New York base, where he had been experimenting on and turned into a falcon/human hybrid using Cap's own avian partner, Redwing. After Malus' defeat, Joaquín was rescued, and remained under Cap's care.

Unlike the condition of those experimented on by Malus, Joaquín's mutations didn't revert. It was discovered by Claire Temple that because Redwing himself was vampiric, some of the aspects of that condition were transferred over into Torres, most notably a regenerative factor that prevented the regression of his condition.

Joaquín played an important role in Captain America's fight against the Serpent Society. When the hero was kidnapped and thrown off a building, Redwing detected that his owner was in danger. Because Joaquín shared the same psychic bond with Redwing as Sam did, he received the message, and flew to Captain America's location, successfully catching him in mid-air. However, the Serpent Society soon ganged up on Joaquín. Using the shared psychic link with Redwing, Cap transmitted to Joaquín the moves he would use, allowing the young boy to hold his own against the serpent-themed villains.

After the defeat of the Serpent Society when reinforcements arrived to help Cap and Joaquín, mainly in the form of Misty Knight and D-Man, Joaquín decided to become Captain America's sidekick, and assumed the mantle of the Falcon.

Powers
    Human/Bird/Vampire Hybrid: As a result of Karl Malus' experiments, Joaquín was turned into a hybrid between a falcon and a human. However, the falcon used to transform Joaquín was in turn vampiric, giving the young man additional abilities which mostly manifested in being unable to revert his transformation.

Flight: As a human mutate, Joaquín can fly by flapping his arms, which have been partially turned into wings. He has enlarged eyes, winged arms, bird-like talons in feet and hands.
    Regenerative Healing Factor: Because avian carriers of vampirism don't suffer from a lot of the side effects that afflict humans, only some aspects of that condition were transferred to Joaquín. The most notable of this abilities is a regenerative healing factor which prevents Joaquín from turning back to human. Claire Temple theorized that this regenerative abilities could even regrow parts of Joaquíns body. This healing factor has also allowed Joaquín to survive fatal wounds, he has been able to return from the dead after having his head bitten by Cottonmouth.
    Psychic Link: Similarly to Sam Wilson, Joaquín shares a psychic link with Redwing. Because of that, Joaquín and Sam indirectly share a mental link, as they can use Redwing as sort of a messenger to share thoughts with each other.

In Captain America Sam Wilson #5, Joaquín stated he was 17 years old.
    The Joaquín Torres character was created by Nick Spencer and Daniel Acuña, and debuted in Captain America: Sam Wilson #1 in December of 2015 in a photograph and flashback. His first actual appearance was in Captain America: Sam Wilson #3, but did not officially become FALCON until issue #5.

Origin panel 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Origin panel 2.

Loving his visuals as hybrid... Kinda reminds me of Michael Corvin from Underworld in his hybrid form...

The All New, All Different: FALCON!

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but he seriously reminds me of the Silverhawks character Flashback.....

I wonder if Flashback and Joaquin Castro were the inspiration for his character....

He is an interesting character and I liked seeing him interact with the Champions. I would like for him to become a member. A team up with him, Nova, and Ghost Rider Robbie fighting some villain/monster in the Southwest would be cool.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Funny how this thread is revived today since the FCBD Spider-Man revealed the Vulture is trying to rebrand as the Falcon.

Huh! This is the first time I hear about this character lol What's he up to now?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    He is an interesting character and I liked seeing him interact with the Champions. I would like for him to become a member.
    Looking at issue #10's cover and based on Thing addressing the kids, including Falcon, the new Wasp, and Ironheart, as the Champions in Secret Empire #1, he does.

And that's probably a good thing, as otherwise it'd be limbo time for him - Sam Wilson's book hasn't been selling well, it's a relaunch for him after SE for sure and that means he won't necessarily keep his current supporting cast.

Good for him! He's found a spot in Champions, sidekick to Captain America, & has a major role in a major Marvel event. I'd also chalk the whole Vulture thing up to him being old and not educated on who's who anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Looking at issue #10's cover and based on Thing addressing the kids, including Falcon, the new Wasp, and Ironheart, as the Champions in Secret Empire #1, he does.

And that's probably a good thing, as otherwise it'd be limbo time for him - Sam Wilson's book hasn't been selling well, it's a relaunch for him after SE for sure and that means he won't necessarily keep his current supporting cast.
    That's good to know. I hope he can maintain a certain level of relevancy so that he doesn't fall into limbo. While he is far from the most powerful teen hero, I do like his powers and I think they help him stand out a bit.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    He is an interesting character and I liked seeing him interact with the Champions. I would like for him to become a member. A team up with him, Nova, and Ghost Rider Robbie fighting some villain/monster in the Southwest would be cool.
    Well, it's pretty obvious that he'll be extremely busy with the Black Widow & her Youth Team within the SE: UPRISING Miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Well, it's pretty obvious that he'll be extremely busy with the Black Widow & her Youth Team within the SE: UPRISING Miniseries.
    That's good to know. Do you have a link to the solicit?