Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MARY MARVEL appreciation thread

I didn't see one! And to me, "Mary Shazam" is far worse than giving Billy the wizard's name.

Anyway, Bombshells Mary Marvel appeared in my Tumblr feed:

bombshells mary marvel.jpg

Miri Marvel! She has an entirely Old Testament-based pantheon in the Bombshellsverse. I love the magical girl-esque costume here, she even has a wand. Come to think of it Mary was the original magical girl...

BANNED

Great thread!!

I did a DC Women appreciation thread and was surprised when I found out Mary didn't have her own individual thread like some of the other ladies do. Glad you started one!!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Yeah glad u did I like Mary marvel as well and would either buy an ongoing or a team book with her in it if it was done right

She'll always be Mary Marvel to me. It's a dated name in modern times but Shazam Girl or Mary Shazam are just plain ridiculous. Hope she sees a comeback soon in the DCU "proper"--preferably on her own world with Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. IMO they work best on an Earth without a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.

BANNED

I love the Marvel Family and i always thought Mary Marvel is so adorable...(except Final Crisis...wow... whatever happend to her like that in FC... lol) i kind of dig Black Mary Marvel in the count down too... she was cool in all black costume. (the only bad good thing in the count down)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    She'll always be Mary Marvel to me. It's a dated name in modern times but Shazam Girl or Mary Shazam are just plain ridiculous. Hope she sees a comeback soon in the DCU "proper"--preferably on her own world with Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. IMO they work best on an Earth without a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.

I agree. Put the Shazam family on their own earth. Dc has established that all these earths exist. I would also like to see the original Freedom Figthers on Earth X too! (And of course the JSA & All- STar Squadron)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Yeah glad u did I like Mary marvel as well and would either buy an ongoing or a team book with her in it if it was done right
    Well stated!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I did a DC Women appreciation thread and was surprised when I found out Mary didn't have her own individual thread like some of the other ladies do. Glad you started one!!
    My reaction was the same.

I always loved Mary Marvel. Yay to this thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I always loved Mary Marvel. Yay to this thread.
    She's easily my favorite member of the Marvel Family.

bea and mary.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    Great thread!!
    Right you are!!

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday John Lindley Byrne!!!

Captain Marvel & Mary Marvel from proposed SHAZAM! reboot by John Byrne.

From Back Issue #12, as quoted by Brian Cronin at Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #99, John Byrne on why it did not happen.
    The reason this [project] didn’t happen was that going in, I said I want this to be a separate universe. I want this to be not connected with the DC Universe in any way. And DC said, yep, fine, that’ll be great, that’ll be good. And then I had actually done the cover and the first two pages of the first issue and they said, “Oh, by the way, Cap has to be in the Justice League [Here, Byrne most likely just means that “Cap has to be in the DC Universe, as Cap’s Justice League days were past by this point].” And I said no, we agreed. And they said he has to be, it’s absolutely necessary. I said, well, bye then. It was another one of those cases where I made my unreasonable demands loud and clear, up front, they agreed to them, and then said, “Oh, no, we’re changing our minds.”
    Below the character drawings are the two pages John did. The first image was used for the first page of OMAC #2.
    John explained on his website:
    "The first page, as some of you may already know, was salvaged from my aborted SHAZAM! project. When DC double-crossed me (this time before the contracts were signed!) I pulled out of that project and took back the work I had done on good faith. When I needed a splash for the second issue of OMAC, I did some cosmetic surgery, removing characters and altering the vintage of the automobiles, and what had begun as Fawcett City became the setting for Buddy Blank’s adventures in the Past."
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....ay_john_byrne/

Incredible Member

Interestingly, DC wanted to put Captain Marvel into the Giffen Justice League, which is why they over-ruled Byrne's wishes. The irony is that Cap was booted from the League a year later, and wouldn't be seen for a long time until POWER OF SHAZAM! Such a missed opportunity. Go jump in a lake, DC. YOU SUCK!
    Last edited by dswynne; 08-07-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Interestingly, DC wanted to put Captain Marvel into the Giffen Justice League, which is why they over-ruled Byrne's wishes. The irony is that Cap was booted from the League a year later, and wouldn't be seen for a long time until POWER OF SHAZAM! Such a missed opportunity. Go jump in a lake, DC. YOU SUCK!
    Do you know why they had him leave the team? I thought he was a lot of fun. Didn't he introduce J'onn to Oreos?