Mighty Member

Default Kamandi world map question.

No luck in the DC forum, so I'm giving this forum a try.

Anyone who knows a way of getting hold of the Kamandi world map?

Either original poster, in the pages of the magazine, high resolution scan or such.

Reason I ask is because I'd really like to put it up on my wall. A high resolution scan would be especially nice, so that I could print it in any size I'd like

Worst case scenario, I'll trace it. Ink and paint it myself

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    No luck in the DC forum, so I'm giving this forum a try.
    To my knowledge there hasn't been a digital reissue of #32 yet, which IIRC was the one with the map. Waiting for it and working off that file might be simpler.

Otherwise it seems straightforward - buy #32, do a very high-res scan, work on the image to denoise and smooth it, work with a printing shop to have it printed.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    To my knowledge there hasn't been a digital reissue of #32 yet, which IIRC was the one with the map. Waiting for it and working off that file might be simpler.

Otherwise it seems straightforward - buy #32, do a very high-res scan, work on the image to denoise and smooth it, work with a printing shop to have it printed.
    One problem; the last part of your scenario is a copyright violation and most reputable, quality print shops won't touch it. You cannot reproduce the image without the permission of DC Comics, per the US copyright law. Print shops, as for-profit entities, are bound to adhere to copyright laws when reproducing an image. otherwise, they are open to liability if the copyright holder sued. The individual can do what they want, though they, too, open themselves up to potential civil suit. The fact that you want the image as a poster doesn't supercede the legal right of the copyright/trademark holder. Now, a lot of print shops have self-service copiers and even large format self-service printers, often with copyright notice. That absolves them of legal responsibility, though it might not stand up in court. It still leaves you open for suit, no matter what.

The OP's "worse case" scenario, of tracing and inking your own copy is safest legal route. You can project it on a light box to whatever size you want, ink it and color it, and have a more unique end product. It will probably give greater satisfaction, too.