BANNED

Default Way too many young hero teams?

With the new Champions title coming up I wanted to discuss something I noticed that is happening in marvel in the last 10 to 12 years,every now and then marvel tries and create a new team of young heros and after ending that title they tend to forget and push a new team to the spotlight and so on I mean look at how many new teams they created since 2004 (young avengers,avengers initiative, avengers academy,and now champions)and let's not talk about the x-men side with (new x-men,generation hope,WATXM, all new x-men),it seems to me that marvel tends to create way too many young hero teams instead of focusing on there already established teams like DC is doing with the teen titans franchise and the young justice group,so to sum up do you think the new Champions title is one of many transitional young teams or will be like a long term and a franchise like teen titans?

I agree with you on marvel creating too many teen titles. But DC spent the last 5-6 years taking a big nasty dump on Teen Titans.

I see the Champions only as some kind of middle step for some of those Youngsters before becoming an Avenger (again) or something else.
    Though it would be nice if they would remain a Unit like the Thunderbolts.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Personally I like taking the name Champions as it's something that the young heroes can grow into. No 'teen', 'young', 'new', 'academy' attachment to it, so it doesn't have to remain a teen book.

The other advantage this team has over other young books is that most of these characters are established individually. So there's less chance they just fade away.

BANNED

Right like how the original TT and YJ were a collection of well established characters that is a good point.

With high profile characters like Kamala, Miles, Scott, and other characters representing a Hulk, Nova, and Vision (all popular household names), I really do think that Marvel will be pushing this and making it a mainstay team going forward in the Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, they weren't doing this with their previous young teams.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

I'd welcome another young team actually. But this time around with at least one of the numerous young LGBT characters Marvel has forgotten about. If Champions becomes Marvel's Teen Titans I'd hope the roster changes a bit. Teen Iceman instead of Teen Cyclops or Karolina Dean instead of Viv. Or they all stay and another member is added, like Anole.

Yeah, they don't really follow up on the teen titles. Young Avengers is probably the one that found the biggest success recently.
    What's interesting is that each team has its own "vibe"
    Runaways has the most unique mission statement, but Marvel couldn't find ways to make it evolve enough so it wasn't so finite.
    YA is all about the Avengers fanboys and girls growing to become their own Avengers team;
    Avengers Academy has the whole school vibe going, which the others don't (if we ignore the X-men);
    New Warriors doesn't have such a clearly defined purpose, they're mostly a collection of young heroes, but the concept changes with each new series, it seems. Classic fans will say it's about the original cast, but that's not the only version;
    Champions seems to be about seeking independence from all the sh*t going on with the grown-ups, so the new team name kind of makes sense (even if it seems weird they're still choosing to be part of the legacies they want to emancipate from). "We're NOT the Teen Avengers, but we sure look like them" LOL.

BANNED

They have a lot of teen teams but they are rarely active at the same time. Or at least actively getting comics.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Random note but are the Young Avengers still teenagers?
    Would Young Avengers still apply to them or age them down? Probably not since Young Adults is still a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Random note but are the Young Avengers still teenagers?
    Would Young Avengers still apply to them or age them down? Probably not since Young Adults is still a demo.
    I see them as being at least 18. Technically, they're all still "young", but I'd rather see them as New Avengers from now on.
    It would be a natural progression. When they started out, the New Avengers were the main team, now they're older and more experienced, it makes sense for them to become the new NA.
    Avengers Academy should be the place for the ones younger than them. The progression would be AA -> NA -> Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Technically, they're all still "young", but I'd rather see them as New Avengers from now on.
    It would be a natural progression. When they started out, the New Avengers were the main team, now they're older and more experienced, it makes sense for them to become the new NA.
    1000% This.

BANNED

Lest we forget that comics are geared towards a younger audience than the people who most frequently consume them.

I think the Teen books are great ideas, it's just a matter of making sure that you do something with the characters after their books end. The X-Men books are horrible at this. You have Kitty Pryde (every three writers), Magik, Sunspot and what's his face from the New Avengers, and then a vast wasteland of Pixies, Triages, Armors, Mercuries, and on and on and on. Not that the Avengers ate that much better. You've got Kate who broke through, but Wiccan and Hulkling can just about hold a steady role in a team book. It's just like, at this point do we really need ScLoJean drama iteration 3.2191 when we have 3 dozen characters who at this point are probably older than the O5 were supposed to be in the 60's?