Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Detective Comics #936 discussion (SPOILERS!)

Okay, we're within six hours of it becoming available, so here's the discussion thread.

From the previews, Renee's back, Kate's having doubts, Batman got the crap beat out of him, and now Kate's being forced to step up to the plate in an emergency and take charge. Sounds good to me.

I'm predicting really bad things for the rest of the team by the end of this issue. I think they'll go out in the field, encounter the Colony, start off doing well against them, but Clayface will mess something up and cause them to get the tables turned on them. The team will get beat up on for a while before the Colony mysteriously retreats, leaving the others to slink back to the Belfry and tend to their wounds, while wondering about what happened and arguing amongst each other about what went wrong. I expect we'll also get some kind of hint that the Colony soldiers might not be totally normal humans.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Im just interested in what batman seems to be holding back. But glad hes "taken off the board" i like that this focus more on the family then the big bad Bat lol

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Im just interested in what batman seems to be holding back. But glad hes "taken off the board" i like that this focus more on the family then the big bad Bat lol
    Yeah, this emergency is really going to force the team to work together (including trusting the leadership of someone none of them really know) and come up with a plan, or else get themselves stomped. That's the ideal, anyway.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Wow, what an issue! Didn't expect that to get revealed so quick.

Lots of good stuff here. Tim and Kate bonding a bit, Cass getting to kick some ass, Renee's back, and that reveal. I love the character arc that Kate's on, and how it meshes so well with her backstory without any contradictions (that I can see, anyway). This series is moving at a breakneck pace, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What I expected to happen did not happen, and I'm both disappointed and happy about that. I guess we're gonna have to wait for arc three, when Shiva gets here, for everyone to get their asses kicked (but I wouldn't complain if that didn't happen then, either).

Another solid issue; it's a threefer!
    Last edited by Caivu; 07-13-2016 at 12:55 AM.

BANNED

So whats the reveal? The identity of the leader? Or does it involve cass parentage?
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 07-13-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    So whats the reveal? The identity of the leader? Or does it involve cass parentage?
    We find out who's leading the Colony.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    We find out who's leading the Colony.
    so um who is it?

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    so um who is it?
    spoilers:
    Jacob Kane
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Well it was a great, action packed and entertaining issue, the identity reveal was welcome, it allows the writer to actually develop the antagonist instead of just keeping them in the shadows which is what Tynion usually does.

Still it had the usual Tynionism of history being rewritten, dude cant help but change everything we ever knew and there is also the danger of this book getting repetitive. We know the second arc will be Steph centric and we know the third Cass centric arc will introduce Shiva, now this arc has been confirmed to be Kate centric. I seriously hope there's more to it than the women spending a year fighting their parents.

Long term im not sure this was the best thing for Batwoman. It was a bold move though, ill give them that, and it does make The Colony more interesting.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2016 at 05:18 AM.

Poor Kate with his father.. Another Sam Lane, a disappointing father..

But the story is well and there are scenes and exciting moments

I find it unoriginal to use Jacob as the bad guy and push a Kane v. Wayne conflict, as soon as we saw Jacob speak in Rebirth we knew he was the villan.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I find it unoriginal to use Jacob as the bad guy and push a Kane v. Wayne conflict, as soon as we saw Jacob speak in Rebirth we knew he was the villan.
    At the end maybe he regret of this but... poor Kate. They have ruined his relationship with his father.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm wondering how Rucka will feel about this little development. Kate was one of the characters he came back to DC for, along with Diana and Renee. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to fix this ASAP.

The Jacob Kane twist seems like a very Tynion thing to do. It's not just enough to reveal Jacob as the antagonist and drive a rift between Kate and her father. Tynion actually retcons Jacob's original motivation for training Kate in the first place, from being a flawed but supportive father who respects his daughter's desire to serve a greater cause to an emotionally manipulative puppetmaster trying to mold Kate into his own ideal. The reveal itself is not a bad idea, as it brings a personal reason for Kate to be involved in this story, but I'm not sure if it was necessary to go and reach that far back.