Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1

Superstar artist Ethan Van Sciver returns to the world of Green Lantern! In the absence of the Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro and his fear-inducing Yellow Lantern Corps patrol the universe as its sole protectors-but deep in space, a green light still burns. Harnessing the remainder of his will, Hal Jordan must become a one-man GL Corps to defeat his greatest foe and restore freedom to the cosmos.

Full preview here.

Always Rakzo

Thought this worked solidly. While there was a lot of recap like most Rebirth books, there was actually a justifiable reason in-story for it and it also gave a lot of clues about the future.

Nice work from Sciver as well.

BANNED

That's some nice artwork. It almost made me want to pick this up then I remembered Kyle Rayner is in it. Still that aside, it may be the prettiest Rebirth book yet.

BANNED

Just a recap issue which wouldn't be a problem if there was some solid set up for the future which there wasnt.

Yeah it was a very basic setup for the series but on the most part I liked it. It sets up the basic plot of what the main fight will be between Sinestro and Hal while also showing some of the other green lantern related characters that will show up.

Is it the greatest Rebirth special? No, but it did its job and was pretty ok.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Guys! I need some help. I haven't read GL since issue 26 written by Venditti. Can I jump into this issue and be OK or will I be utterly confused?
    Superhero shows are trash

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Nice artwork, but that was the biggest waste of time comic I read this week and that is including Civil War II: Red, White & Blonde #3. This is essentially one of those free preview issues you get at Free Comic Book Day or would be available online to download, but less than that. This is by far the worst Rebirth issue we've had being all exposition. Barely a story, barely any character, and barely anything worth getting intrigued by. A paragraph summation of the issue would be just as fulfilling as reading this.

I'll sum it up in one sentence:
    Sinestro is up to something and Hal Jordan is back. BOOM! Saved you all three bucks!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    That's some nice artwork. It almost made me want to pick this up then I remembered Kyle Rayner is in it. Still that aside, it may be the prettiest Rebirth book yet.
    Thought I won't buy it because I was sure that Kyle Rayner wasn't on it. Now that you tell me he's in it, I'll pick up!

not to inflame any kyle rayner fans. i think he's a good character. but that white costume is freaking awful. i don't even want to look at a page with him wearing it. the rest of the book was OK, but it was a lot of set up.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I'm not always much of a Vendetti fan, but IMHO this was really well done and how a Rebirth issue should present the current status quo for new/old readers

BANNED

hmm...I like that art. I may give it a go.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm woefully rusty on my overall GL lore as I haven't read the book since Geoff Johns left, but wasn't Sinestro's daughter running the Yellow Corps?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm woefully rusty on my overall GL lore as I haven't read the book since Geoff Johns left, but wasn't Sinestro's daughter running the Yellow Corps?
    She is but Sinestro is still doing some shady stuff in the background when she isn't looking.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Guys! I need some help. I haven't read GL since issue 26 written by Venditti. Can I jump into this issue and be OK or will I be utterly confused?
    The whole point of these Rebirth issues is to get people caught up on what's going on with the hero and set up what you'll need to know going forward. If you have questions about how things got to this point, you might have to go back and re-read some stuff, but Hal pretty much summarizes all you need to know in his narration. I do hope we find out why the GLC got shunted into the previous universe very soon though and that it is a relevant storypoint, rather than just tossing out a half-assed explanation.

I thought this was a really good setup issue. Significant things did happen here, with Hal forging a new ring* and ditching the Gauntlet, and Sinestro positioning himself in the center of the universe. (where I'm sure he always felt he belonged) I thought there was some good bits of characterization between the two as well for an issue that was mostly exposition. Nothing really new in terms of them, but it reaffirmed what we know about each. Honestly, any time we get a confident Hal who isn't filled with doubt I'm a happy man.

*not a fan of that ring design though - I had noticed EVS changed the cover since it was solicited months ago and now we know why. I don't like the "warped logo" look where it only looks correct head on and I expect future artist will draw it according to their tastes anyway.

Why does Sinestro look so old