Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    All-New Member

This was a decent issue. It wasn't terrible by any means but it wasn't all that fantastic either. It's crazy because I totally expected to like this better than Green Lanterns Rebirth #1 and it totally wasn't the case. The best thing about this issue on the whole is Ethan Van Sciver's art which amazing as usual! (Seriously, has this guy ever done any bad art in his career?) Just the image of Hal smithing together a new power ring is awesome to look at and the splash pages toward the end where he recites the oath is a really sweet fanboy moment.

However, my biggest issue with this comic was that it was both too simple and too complicated at the exact same time. What do I mean by this? Well, first off its a setup comic and an extremely basic one at that. Sinestro has something up his sleeve and Hal Jordan makes a new ring to become Green Lantern once again. That's it. But while this is happening, the comic seemed to really rush through the explanation of his time as a renegade which may confuse new readers. "What's this whole thing with the gauntlet? Why is Hal having to make a new ring? What happened to his old one? Why does Sinestro look so old now? What happened to him? Where are the other Earth Green Lanterns and why is Hal searching for them?" These things have either been explained far too briefly or none at all.

Overall, it's worth picking up just for the awesome art itself. Just don't come in to this expecting anything other than setup.
    Last edited by Cyberfan; 07-13-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No it didn't.

Kyle won't show up until around issue 3. So his fans won't show up until then.

John fans are never coming back.

Guy fans...

That book did nothing to encourage them to bother with the book.
    I'm a Kyle & Guy fan and I'll be there from the start, even though they're not there.
    Obviously i'll be glad if this book will be more GLC centered than an Hal Jordan solo book.

I'm very thrown by all of this. The GL Corp is decimated? What happened to Hal? What about John, Guy, Kyle, as well as the new Simon Baz character and Ms. Cruz? How do they all fit into this narrative?

How did the Yellow/Sinestro Corps become the dominant Lantern force in the universe? And what happened to the rest of the Lantern groups?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyboydalton21 View Post
    Alex Ross, is that you?
    Does Alex Ross hate Rayner too then? I wasn't aware

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know there was something I was thinking about something from this issue that's kind of weird

spoilers:
    So his new ring that Hal forged was made from his willpower, but if he was turning into a being of pure willpower does this mean that he essentially made a part of himself into a green lantern ring?
    end of spoilers
    yes. it's clear that he forged the ring out of his willpower to return his humanity.

it seems that the gauntlet of kronos was erasing his consciousness from existence. the ring was forged to channel that excess power and help to keep him human.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I haven't read this issue, but at the at the end of his solo series he was pretty ragged from some serious battles, so maybe Rebirth picks up from there?
    He was just looking pretty cool at the end of his solo series. Not very ragged at all.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Enjoyed this issue. Wasn't expecting to since I was less than crazy about the past story-lines.

Hoping this new series keeps up the pacing

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yes. it's clear that he forged the ring out of his willpower to return his humanity.

it seems that the gauntlet of kronos was erasing his consciousness from existence. the ring was forged to channel that excess power and help to keep him human.
    I know but it's weird when you consider the fact that he was using a gauntlet that is considered to be 10 times as powerful as a lantern ring, in fact it was so powerful that it started to turn him into a being of pure willpower which lead him to then harness an essence of himself and forge it into a new lantern ring. That not only sounds just a little weird to me but makes me wonder if he's even using a regular lantern ring. You have to imagine that his ring and maybe even Hal himself might be capable of some crazy stuff now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Thought I won't buy it because I was sure that Kyle Rayner wasn't on it. Now that you tell me he's in it, I'll pick up!
    Is this where Kyle landed? I'll keep an eye out, but i'm totally not interested in reading about "Hal Jordan and his 3 Sidekicks".
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Its not just three sidekicks. Rhis book will contain the entire Corps

Astonishing Member

I am likely alone on this, but just to be sure, was I the only who gave a sad, resigned thought, right before the big splash page of Hal back in his same old, usual outfit, that "I'm sure gonna miss this new outfit. It looked cool and was fun while it lasted."?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I'll never understand this divisiveness in the GL fanbase. The corps as a whole are awesome! I understand having a favorite lantern, but boycotting a book because it doesn't pander to your personal favorite is just silly.

But hey, i'm one of those weirdos that likes all the lanterns.
    That's pretty much how I feel. I especially agree with that last sentence, as sometimes, it feels that your a "freak among freaks" for liking more than one "thing", be it a Green Lantern, a Speedster, a Ghost Rider, and so on.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-15-2016 at 08:25 PM.

BANNED

Easy to say when your favorite GL has been winning for over a decade. When you favorite been getting crapped on for a decade not so much. It wasn't all or nothing on day one. But this aint day one. this id day 3650+ and it hasn't gotten better outside of temporary blips.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammergiant View Post
    Is this where Kyle landed? I'll keep an eye out, but i'm totally not interested in reading about "Hal Jordan and his 3 Sidekicks".
    Kyle is suppose to show up around issue 3 or 4 according to the writer.

I'll never understand this divisiveness in the GL fanbase. The corps as a whole are awesome! I understand having a favorite lantern, but boycotting a book because it doesn't pander to your personal favorite is just silly.
    So is the entire mess Marvel is dealing with as fans are boycotting their books because some have minorities in the lead, Sam Alexander in the lead, Inhumans in the lead or the books are light heart fun.

Yet it happens.

The corps as whole has NEVER been done. It has always been Hal first.

Now even when Johns pets get the main GL book and Justice League-everyone else has to be the pets of Hal Jordan.

That is what the others especially John Stewart fans are tired of. That's why they won't touch the book.

This is a Hal book and no matter how much shaming & belittling Hal fans do especially towards John Stewart fans.

You want to call it pandering-so when does the Hal pandering stop?

When does it become about the CORPS and not what stupid thing Hal did this time? Or how great is Hal? Or Hal has to save the stupid loser John Stewart yet again?

Fans want EVERYBODY to get a slice of the cake not just one. ANd we all know this book is just Hal's holding place until Jessica & Simon bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Fans want EVERYBODY to get a slice of the cake not just one.
    *Some* fans maybe, but I don't really care about the other earth GLs. (some of the non-terran GLs mean more to me, personally) Nothing against them, they have their fans but I'm only interested in Hal and seeing him be awesome and appearing in any comic or movie or cartoon they want to put him in. (and I'm sure there are some John or Kyle fans whodon't care about everybody getting a slice either)