Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Flash #2

"LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE" Chapter Two: In issue #2, The Flash trains novice speedster August Heart to help protect the people of Central City from the Black Hole, a new breed of rogue with a deadly agenda for the Fastest Men Alive.

Full preview here.

He figured out Barry's secret identity pretty quickly (not that I don't understand how) .

Nice seeing NuWally getting the hang of his new powers. I wonder how long before we finally see him become Kid Flash ?

The One Above All

Interesting how Wally still refers to Daniel as his uncle. It looks like his origin in the last run hasn't been completely retconned and him finding out Daniel is his father will be a future plot point.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He figured out Barry's secret identity pretty quickly (not that I don't understand how) .

Nice seeing NuWally getting the hang of his new powers. I wonder how long before we finally see him become Kid Flash ?
    I'm wondering how long before they give him a new name or nickname. Two shared hero titles is one thing.... the same secret identity name? (If nothing else it is screwing up my internet searches as I keep getting the wrong Wally West from the one I want.)

Art is okay. Kind of 'sketchier' than I prefer, but not bad. Waiting to see if I'm still interested enough by #6 to get the trade, but often feel like I'm watching the TV show (which I no longer watch) rather than the comic. Not sure why. It's more than just NuWally though.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Nice art, but I think I am done with Flash for a while. I hate it when there are more and more speedsters (or Green Lanterns or Supermen etc...).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I'm wondering how long before they give him a new name or nickname. Two shared hero titles is one thing.... the same secret identity name? (If nothing else it is screwing up my internet searches as I keep getting the wrong Wally West from the one I want.)

Art is okay. Kind of 'sketchier' than I prefer, but not bad. Waiting to see if I'm still interested enough by #6 to get the trade, but often feel like I'm watching the TV show (which I no longer watch) rather than the comic. Not sure why. It's more than just NuWally though.
    I'm starting to feel like that too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaider View Post
    Nice art, but I think I am done with Flash for a while. I hate it when there are more and more speedsters (or Green Lanterns or Supermen etc...).
    Yeah that's why I'm skipping this series. Unless they bring Bart Allen back, then I'll pick it up.

Honestly nothing about this story sounds interesting. August will either die or stay around to take Wally's role in Barry's life and I don't find his inclusion to title organic at all. Younger Wally will probably be shipped to Teen Titans once his KF transformation is complete. I'm already tired of evil speedsters and SF focused arcs. and Williamson said rogues are on backburner for a while to add salt on wound.....

One of the more underwhelming Rebirth titles, I'll trade wait.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Aw man. I love the Rogues. At least keep Singh and Hartley around and give them something interesting to do.

Given the popularity of the Flash show and LoT, I'm stunned that DC Comics still does so little with the Rogues. They're the first villains I really, really liked.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was solid. There's good plot-progression and a logical dynamic between Barry and his new partner, the final page promises even more of that.

That being said, this is still not grabbing me and I think that the main problem is the narration. Williamson is hitting all the right notes in terms of story, character and direction but the dialogue can be pretty cold with a lack of clever lines and entertaining interactions.

Great art though.

this was a very good issue. the art and the story both work well together.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

This has more interesting things going on than the all of the N52 Flash combined. And the other speedsters are only going to be around for the first arc and then they will lose their powers - that's comic books

Astonishing Member

Another strong issue all around. I liked the contrast between Barry and August, and young Wally having fun with his powers. The art is still fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Aw man. I love the Rogues. At least keep Singh and Hartley around and give them something interesting to do.

Given the popularity of the Flash show and LoT, I'm stunned that DC Comics still does so little with the Rogues. They're the first villains I really, really liked.
    Williamson has said that we won't have to wait long for the Rogues, we just won't see them immediately.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Better then the last issue, decent cliffhanger at the end.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaider View Post
    The way they escalated the speedster additions here made it feel like something that won't last past the arc.

Personally, I'm enjoying this story more than the last couple Flash arcs. That is the case for a lot of Rebirth titles, those Convergence through DC-You books just had no pizzaz. DC had been stagnating since Forever Evil and it feels good for their main books to not feel like a chore any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Williamson is hitting all the right notes in terms of story, character and direction but the dialogue can be pretty cold with a lack of clever lines and entertaining interactions.

Great art though.
    I read Williamson's Image books and, while he has good stories, he often fails to make the characters and dialogue fun enough to invest me in the plot. He needs to add some Bendis-speak once in a while.

And people keep saying that the art is good. Really? I thought it looked like they hired the cheapest artist they could find.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 07-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.