Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I know this may be asking too much, but does anyone know how much of the Toho-verse Legendary can use? I remember reading somewhere about Legendary not having the rights to the classic Godzilla monsters which is why we get this new one but that article may have been full of crap. I hope they have the ability to include established monsters in future Godzilla films (if there are going to be more). I'd crap my pants if we got to see King Ghidorah in Godzilla 2.

^They'd have to acquire the rights to other monsters like they did with Godzilla himself. I know Toho's slightly better on that front than they used to: the IDW comics use other Toho monsters, while Marvel and Dark Horse never could because back then the fees for the other monsters were as high as for Godzilla himself!

[SPOILER]
    The reason they didn't use a classic monster for this movie is because they wanted creatures that could be tied into Godzilla's origin story. Mothra or King Ghidorah would need too much establishing, taking emphasis away from Godzilla.
    Last edited by Angilasman; 05-03-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Hell, if they get a green light for a sequel, throw in (in order of my preference) Ghidorah, Mecha-Godzilla, Rodan, Jet Jaguar and even flippin' Gamera!!

Have Gamera and the Big G ever fought? I thought they usually used Anguirus as the stand in.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Some critics have described the MUTOs as giant staple-removers with claws and batwings, which is pretty dead-on.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The MUTO's almost seemed robotic to me when I first saw them hatch from the cocoon. It took me a few minutes to realize it was a giant praying mantis creature.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Some critics have described the MUTOs as giant staple-removers with claws and batwings, which is pretty dead-on.

What do the original mutos look like? One of them kind of reminded me of the Cloverfield monster but with a different face.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I did well not to spoil who the other monster(s) where in Godzilla 2014, but indeed I was hoping for a classic one, maybe Rodan, like Twin Rodan's from the 1956 movie. Then I got my surprise when the world of Godzilla got introduced to it's Newest member of Godzilla's Rogue Gallery, the MOTUs.

For the 1st few seconds I was sad it was not Rodan or another classic monster, BUT soon the MOTUs became a great additions IMO to BIG-G's Rogue Gallery. Having 2 of them made it more interesting and how they marched from different corners of the World. Also, having the Male and Female both being different sizes and the Male can Fly and the Female can't was Cleaver IMO and gave ditto's to how some species are in nature.

In the end the MOTU's where the Egg Laying Threat from Godzilla 1998 Done Right. ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    What do the original mutos look like? One of them kind of reminded me of the Cloverfield monster but with a different face.
    I haven't seen any concept drawings of the MUTOs, but I've read about them being described as spider-like in earlier drafts.

The creatures had a lot of empathy in the movie, and despite being giant, destructive beasties, you could feel for them sometimes. You almost felt bad for the MUTOs when spoilers:
    Lt. Brody destroyed all their eggs, even though you understood the reason that Brody had to do it for the sake of the world)
    end of spoilers. When spoilers:
    it appeared that Godzilla had died from his battle with the MUTOs, you felt sad that the magnificent creature had given his life battling to restore Earth's natural balance by destroying the MUTOS.
    end of spoilers To me, this was one of the most *human* of Godzillas, and I mean that in a good way.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just saw this tonight, and it was a ton of fun.

I really feel like they nailed the awe and spectacle of it all. You just feel really small watching it all happen.

I just watched it a few hours ago! I can't wait to go see it again!

Mighty Member

Anyone think it made up for Emmerich's attempt? that wasn't a bad movie but was a decent monster movie on it's own but as a Godzilla movie it sucks.

At least this was faithful to the character and the Japanese saga this time, such a fun American version this new movie was and delivered everything to a fanboy of the character. I can't wait for the sequel!

BANNED

I'm not really a Godzilla fan. I've never seen the Japanese films. The Emmerich film was rubbish. And I hated Monsters.

But this was a lot better than I expected. There were some problems - cutting away just as the monsters were about to fight, a certain main character dying too soon - but the action was awesome and the monster designs were great. Godzilla himself was super badass.

spoilers:
    Especially the big guy's fatality moves. The tail slap was brilliant, as was the way he killed the female.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I'm not really a Godzilla fan. I've never seen the Japanese films. The Emmerich film was rubbish. And I hated Monsters.

But this was a lot better than I expected. There were some problems - cutting away just as the monsters were about to fight, a certain main character dying too soon - but the action was awesome and the monster designs were great. Godzilla himself was super badass.

spoilers:
    Especially the big guy's fatality moves. The tail slap was brilliant, as was the way he killed the female.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Those two "moves"
    end of spoilers —drew approval and applause in my theater. Gojira!

Did anyone else feel really sad for Godzilla at the end ? spoilers:
    For some reason I've never felt as sad for him as I did here. After he gets back up at the end and goes back to the ocean, I realized his is a thankless job. He literally gave his all, and almost his life, to defeat the MUTOs, whether he was defending the people or the Earth itself I'm unsure of, and he has nothing to show for it. At least in some versions the Big Guy has friends,(Anguirus, Rodan) or at least the closes thing you can have to friends when you're Godzilla. I dont know, seeing him collapse, and then slowly walk back to the ocean and go under to be all by himself made me kinda sad haha
    end of spoilers