Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And of course, the hero himself - Steve Trevor.

Super-who?

That panel really pops!

So, after the Finches, i was looking forward to getting back on board with WW again. But, as yet, I still haven't.

Between the rebirth one-shot and the previews and what I've seen flicking through issues 1+2 at my LCBS, I found meself underwhelmed. Now I haven't read either issues properly yet, so I'm not judging the writing (beyond what I've read in the aforementioned previews). And I don't think I've consciously made a decision not to buy the book yet. But at the same time, I've found myself putting it back on the shelf twice now and thinking I'll pick it up later.

I can't put my finger on my reluctance to re-commit to the book. It's just that, right now, it seems a little... dull.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 07-16-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    So, after the Finches, i was looking forward to getting back on board with WW again. But, as yet, I still haven't.

Between the rebirth one-shot and the previews and what I've seen flicking through issues 1+2 at my LCBS, I found meself underwhelmed. Now I haven't read either issues properly yet, so I'm not judging the writing (beyond what I've read in the aforementioned previews). And I don't think I've consciously made a decision not to buy the book yet. But at the same time, I've found myself putting it back on the shelf twice now and thinking I'll pick it up later.

I can't put my finger on my reluctance to re-commit to the book. It's just that, right now, it seems a little... dull.
    What do you think is missing that would "whelm" you?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    What do you think is missing that would "whelm" you?
    Dunno really... I think it's a combination of things that's putting me off. The duel story arcs, for one. The first of which hasn't really started, the latter of which is another version of something we've seen before a few times. There's seems to be have been a fair bit of Steve too, who I don't dislike as a character but I'm not especially interested in him either. From my quick look at #1, it seemed that he actually had more to do/say in the book than Diana, who was mostly just plodding through a jungle.

I suspect a couple of issues in, when the present day arc maybe delivers a bit more actual story, I'll get on board. And Scott's art alone should be enough to enjoy the Year One story. I think what would definitely raise my 'whelm' though would be some sharper, more interesting dialogue... From the previews and other scenes I've read, it's been really generic and flat... In some ways, not wholly dissimilar to Meredith's writing.

I like the two stories
    It gives me two Wonder Woman books to read each month
    I can read one and not the other or both and when it
    is done, I would have enjoyed the one or if I read both
    would be able to see and appreciate how both stories fit together and
    help understand Wonder Woman going forward more if Greg Rucka
    should remain on the title.

All-New Member

Ok i just read it and now im confused. Is this a reboot or what? The art was really good but Steve's friend looks just like Va lZod from Earth 2. How is Wonder Woman's mother blonde, i don't know what's cannon anymore.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

I really liked this story! It's the best issue of any Rebirth title I've read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    The Trevor/Diana story seemed to speak to each other. Both characters practising shooting things. Both characters happy and then looking somewhat wistful.

So what might it mean that Diana lay poisoned whilst Trevor discovered he was a godfather? Perhaps nothing.
    Good question! I think this is the point where each of them is first called to a higher purpose. For Diana, the strange incident with the snake in the dead tree (and the owl she wasn't even aware of) is the point where the Gods officially take notice of her, and may be preparing her for the future. This is probably where she develops powers. For Steve, this is the moment where he becomes the godfather of Nick and Maya's baby - an obligation that becomes more than theoretical when Nick dies in the crash. We'll probably see Maya and that baby again.
    Last edited by Kevin Street; 07-18-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
    Ok i just read it and now im confused. Is this a reboot or what? The art was really good but Steve's friend looks just like Va lZod from Earth 2. How is Wonder Woman's mother blonde, i don't know what's cannon anymore.
    This remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    There's seems to be have been a fair bit of Steve too, who I don't dislike as a character but I'm not especially interested in him either.
    From what we've seen so far, it looks like Steve is going to be a big presence in Diana's life again. Maybe they'll be star-crossed lovers, or maybe they'll have a different kind of relationship. But he'll be around.

Okay, one more comment and I swear I'll stop spamming this thread.

The thing with Diana and the other Amazons... it works. It shows that she comes from a background of love and human kindness. While she does wish for something indefinably... more, Paradise Island is a really nice place to live, and her childhood was filled with love and good life lessons, much like Clark Kent's childhood in Smallville.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post

The thing with Diana and the other Amazons... it works. It shows that she comes from a background of love and human kindness. While she does wish for something indefinably... more, Paradise Island is a really nice place to live, and her childhood was filled with love and good life lessons, much like Clark Kent's childhood in Smallville.

Agreed. This version(if it isn't part of "The Lies") of Paradis Island is inspirational to Diana rather than primitive and harsh(i.e. Diana getting called "Clay"). We know there's going to be a contest in which the best of the Amazons is selected and Diana will most likely win instead of her using Steve as her "ticket" to run away from the island.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post

It's not really "spamming" if it's a discussion thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Agreed. This version(if it isn't part of "The Lies") of Paradis Island is inspirational to Diana rather than primitive and harsh(i.e. Diana getting called "Clay").

We know there's going to be a contest in which the best of the Amazons is selected and Diana will most likely win instead of her using Steve as her "ticket" to run away from the island.
    Actually, the Year One might be the 'Lie' in the 'Lies' story... or the New 52 turns out to be, like considering the dead tree that appeared and dissappeared out of nowhere; perhaps that is the only 'real' thing thats actually there and the rest is an illusion? And the snakebite is meant to wake Diana up? Or the bite leads Diana to eventually forget the idyllic Paradise Island and instead remember it as the harsher New 52 interpretation?

Steve is her 'ticket' off the island regardless of which version we go by I mean in this issue we still have Diana pining to see whats beyond the horizon and none of her sisters understand this desire, and then Steve plops down in their lap and in need of a guide home.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Actually, the Year One might be the 'Lie' in the 'Lies' story... or the New 52 turns out to be, like considering the dead tree that appeared and dissappeared out of nowhere; perhaps that is the only 'real' thing thats actually there and the rest is an illusion? And the snakebite is meant to wake Diana up? Or the bite leads Diana to eventually forget the idyllic Paradise Island and instead remember it as the harsher New 52 interpretation?
    Yeah, no way is this happening. I can't see Rucka coming back to DC to tell the WW origin story he and Scott have wanted to do for years (while putting Black Magick on hold to do it) only for it to be an illusion. It would render the whole exercise pretty pointless.

I expect most of the overt retconning to be in "the Lies," while Year One will be the actual origin story once time/continuity has finished fluctuating or whatever the hell it's doing.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, no way is this happening. I can't see Rucka coming back to DC to tell the WW origin story he and Scott have wanted to do for years (while putting Black Magick on hold to do it) only for it to be an illusion. It would render the whole exercise pretty pointless.

I expect most of the overt retconning to be in "the Lies," while Year One will be the actual origin story once time/continuity has finished fluctuating or whatever the hell it's doing.

Agreed. Spending 6 issues on a story arc that won't matter at all at the end of it seems like a total waste of time. Granted stories have been retconned in this title before, but never this quickly. I think in the end, we'll get a mix of the Perez and Azzarello elements with a heavier focus on the Perez ones(i.e. more advanced Amazons, Diana wins the contest, Zeus origin).

As for Steve being Diana's ticket, in Azzarello's partial origin, Diana didn't seem very concerned with Steve's well being but more so just getting off the island like when she referred to him as her "ticket". It came across as very selfish to me. I'm hoping Rucka won't repeat this mistake and instead have Diana show lots of genuine concern for Steve.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.