Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Wonder Woman #2 SPOILERS

This is officially the beginning of the new retelling of Diana's origins by Rucka and is pretty enjoyable in that regard.

The writing is pretty solid with the exploration of Diana's life in Themyscira touching several classic aspects of her personality like her rebellious and adventurous nature and also delivering other aspects of her that people always suspected (her "relationships" with her sisters). This also contrasts nicely with the Steve Trevor segments since he shows a quite similar personality (I saw his friend dying a mile away though).

Nicola Scott's artwork is gorgeous, beautiful characters all-around with precise storytelling.

I'm on-board so far based on this chapter.

so what's the revised origin, and how does it differ from the Golden Age, Silver Age, Post-Crisis and New 52 versions?

Incredible Member

Very nice....

There's an unspoken tenderness between her and her Amazon sisters. I really enjoyed that....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what's the revised origin, and how does it differ from the Golden Age, Silver Age, Post-Crisis and New 52 versions?
    It's just beginning, but so far:

-The Amazons remember their lives prior to reincarnation.
    -They are immortal on the island, have lived there for eons
    -The island is old architecture, and their clothes are ancient Greek/Roman looking and a bit Marston-esque as well, I thought.
    -Those who would leave Themyscira would "...sacrifice your place in paradise and everything that comes with it. You would leave your sisters forever."
    -They love each other as sisters.
    -They love each other as lovers, and Diana, it seems, has had several.
    -Diana is curious, has a wanderlust, but is also happy, loving, and respectful.
    -Diana and Hippolyta seem to have a beautiful loving relationship
    -Diana trains, with Phillipus, and it very very skilled
    -They ride horses. A lot. Because "we're Amazons after all."
    -The Gods speak through the world around them, rarely, if ever, in their own voices.
    -While horseback riding one day, Diana is bitten by a snake and suffers a long, long recovery, which is said to be a sign. "When called, each must be willing to give back to them. And that time is coming."
    -The Amazons are the Daughters of Harmonia and Ares.
    -The lasso was a gift from the Gods, and is hanging on a statue, looks like they "worship" it in a way.
    -Steve and crew crash on the island, Steve is the only survivor. (we get to know Steve really well first. I like him! His personality seems parallel to Diana's.)
    -Issue 4, Year One, Part 2, the contest begins....so we will have that!
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 07-13-2016 at 06:22 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    It's pretty much the post-crisis version, though I did get flashes of Earth One and The Legend of WW in it, too. It's nothing like the New 52 version of the Amazons.

I absolutely loved this issue. Nicola Scott's art... I'm just speechless.

Loved seeing Philippus and Io again. I wish Mala/Menalippe/Euboea/etc. were present, but maybe in later issues.

Seeing Steve's story mixed in was very nice. Scott draws the most attractive Steve I've ever seen. I would've liked to see more than just him with his buddy (at the end I felt like I knew Nick more than Steve), but I guess for the sake of his emotional devastation we had to.

And Diana... she's finally back.

I'm actually looking more forward to the next Year One story than the main story.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    It's just beginning, but so far:

-The Amazons remember their lives prior to reincarnation.
    -They are immortal on the island, have lived there for eons
    -The island is old architecture, and their clothes are ancient Greek/Roman looking and a bit Marston-esque as well, I thought.
    -Those who would leave Themyscira would "...sacrifice your place in paradise and everything that comes with it. You would leave your sisters forever."
    -They love each other as sisters.
    -Diana is curious, has a wanderlust, but is also happy, loving, and respectful.
    -Diana and Hippolyta seem to have a beautiful loving relationship
    -Diana trains, with Phillipus, and it very very skilled
    -They ride horses. A lot. Because "we're Amazons after all."
    -The Gods speak through the world around them, rarely, if ever, in their own voices.
    -While horseback riding one day, Diana is bitten by a snake and suffers a long, long recovery, which is said to be a sign. "When called, each must be willing to give back to them. And that time is coming."
    -The Amazons are the Daughters of Harmonia and Ares.
    -The lasso was a gift from the Gods, and is hanging on a statue, looks like they "worship" it in a way.
    -Steve and crew crash on the island, Steve is the only survivor. (we get to know Steve really well first. I like him! His personality seems parallel to Diana's.)
    -Issue 4, Year One, Part 2, the contest begins....so we will have that!
    Wow! I can't wait to get to my LCS! This sounds like a damn near PERFECT take on the Amazons!

So, do we have a confirmed bisexual Wonder Woman now? Awesome!

One thing I have to mention though? Harmonia and Ares? Unless my mythology knowledge has utterly failed me, Harmonia was Ares' DAUGHTER. Even for the Olympians, that's a little.....skeevy. Or are they going with a different origin for Harmonia?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    One thing I have to mention though? Harmonia and Ares? Unless my mythology knowledge has utterly failed me, Harmonia was Ares' DAUGHTER. Even for the Olympians, that's a little.....skeevy. Or are they going with a different origin for Harmonia?
    It's actually faithful to the mythology, as Amazons were believed to be daughters of Harmonia and Ares. And really... incest surprises anyone when it comes to Greek myths?

EDIT: Upon digging further, I found here that it's in fact a nymph named Harmonia, and not Ares's daughter Harmonia? Maybe someone knows more about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's actually faithful to the mythology, as Amazons were believed to be daughters of Harmonia and Ares. And really... incest surprises anyone when it comes to Greek myths?
    Yup...it's a quote from Castalia, the Oracle. Who, BTW, also looks older than the other Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wow! I can't wait to get to my LCS! This sounds like a damn near PERFECT take on the Amazons!

So, do we have a confirmed bisexual Wonder Woman now? Awesome!

I'm wondering if the Harmonia/Ares thing might be a lie....but who knows yet?

And it really did seem like a perfect take on the Amazons! And Steve. I was really impressed with that storyline as well. It runs parallel to what's happening with Diana.

Mighty Member

I liked the art and the sweet moments between Diana and her mom and the bi!Diana. not a fan of the ares/harmonia thing though

I don't think we have confirmation on if Diana is Bisexual, which would be awesome sauce if she was. I think they were Gossipping on the Princess of Paradise more than anything else.

I do wonder if this means that the Zeus' Daughter thing is out. She isn't wearing the bracelets to conceal her powers, and enabled her to be bitten by the snake.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I don't know why they insist on doing this. There's much more gay subtext going back years in Batman and Robin than there has ever been in WW, until recently.

But aside from that -- this is a very, very promising direction. I wish there had been a turning back away from Perez to Marston, to update his Amazons -- the technologically advanced Amazons to whom gods never spoke, save only for the miracle of Diana's birth. Staying mired in Perez's world is unfortunate, but compared to what Azzarello wrought I'll take it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    I don't know why they insist on doing this. There's much more gay subtext going back years in Batman and Robin than there has ever been in WW, until recently.
    so you never read any wonder woman golden age
    But aside from that -- this is a very, very promising direction. I wish there had been a turning back away from Perez to Marston, to update his Amazons -- the technologically advanced Amazons to whom gods never spoke, save only for the miracle of Diana's birth. Staying mired in Perez's world is unfortunate, but compared to what Azzarello wrought I'll take it.
    I think Rucka found the right way to make gods being gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    It's what makes the most sense. An island of only one gender and people are going to start messing around.

Fantastic Member

i read the book I don't remember anything confirming she bi? Proly miss it or something, anyway to the more important stuff the artwork is amazing and the story pretty good like how WW look forward to the outside world hoping to one day leave.