Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel Teases a Surprising Romance Between Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales

Two faces from the world of the wall-crawler will soon be smashed up against each other... romantically speaking.

Full article here.

Miles is 15.

Gwen is 19-21 years old. She was seen drinking at a bar in her comic (okay probably got a fake id) and she's in college.

This relationship would be quite illegal.

What the heck is going on here?

I've lucked out for once and Spider-Man, the book I read, will be part two of the story. I've stopped allowing them to blackmail me into buying books I hate so I've stopped reading parts of crossovers in books not normally in my pull box. It's a pain when that means I get the gist of how a story ended in a later recap page but that's better than reading drek...

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Better than Peter hooking up with her I suppose
    Still a terrible move imo
    Besides it's most likely a ruse that will be over in 2 issues
    Also while I'm pretty sure it's just legal despite the age gap, I guarantee that Bendis has no idea how old Spider-Gwen actually is.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    Miles is 15.

Gwen is 19-21 years old. She was seen drinking at a bar in her comic (okay probably got a fake id) and she's in college.

Nope, It's not illegal. Miles is 16, Gwen is 19. In New York, over the age of 13 years old can have sex within someone 4 years older then themselves. So even if they went all the way to sex, they're fine, let alone just kissing and other romantic aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    Miles is 15.

Yeah this discussion's already going full throttle on this other thread already, so here's link for any of you guys who want to join in.

Spider-Man #12's Miles and Spider-Gwen cover

Also, like I stated in the other thread, Miles is 16 now and Gwen is either 18 or 19 (I don't think the writer was too specific on age), so that's just a 2-3 year age gape. That pretty common in this day and age of relationships, it is not illegal for a 16 year old to date an 18 or 19 year old. Now if they wanted to take the relationship further than just making out then they run into illegal problems but this is essentially a high school sophomore dating a senior who just graduated and barely has one foot placed into college. How about giving Miles some props for being able to attract older women.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Ok weird, I definitely did not see that one coming. I hope this isn't just another brief kiss between two heroes that has no lasting relation like Thor(Jane Foster) and Cap(Sam Wilson).
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    I've lucked out for once and Spider-Man, the book I read, will be part two of the story. I've stopped allowing them to blackmail me into buying books I hate so I've stopped reading parts of crossovers in books not normally in my pull box. It's a pain when that means I get the gist of how a story ended in a later recap page but that's better than reading drek...
    I enjoy pretty much all of the Spider books, but Spider-Gwen has been especially good. The Spider-Women crossover was pretty fantastic. I'd recommend checking it out, especially the ANAD relaunch. But if you're not that interested, I understand, but drek is not a word I'd use, the Robbi Rodriguez art alone makes this a gorgeous book.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Nope, It's not illegal. Miles is 16, Gwen is 19. In New York, over the age of 13 years old can have sex within someone 4 years older then themselves. So even if they went all the way to sex, they're fine, let alone just kissing and other romantic aspects.
    Not to mention we are talking about cross universes here, in Earth-65 the laws could be quite different.

Even though it isn't a crime for a 19-year old girl to date a 16-year old boy, it'd be funny if Gwen didn't know Miles was 16...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Leach View Post
    Not to mention we are talking about cross universes here, in Earth-65 the laws could be quite different.
    Double not to mention how would you prosecute a person from another universe?
    Last edited by The Negative Zone; 07-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Setting aside the legality with their ages, it's still pretty weird that they seem to be promoting this pairing for a variety of reasons.

Though it's probably going to end up being a tease, as Bendis is wont to do.

I am kind of curious to see how he writes Spider-Gwen .

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am kind of curious to see how he writes Spider-Gwen .
    Probably like he did Ultimate Gwen, which honestly wouldn't be too far off the mark.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Yeah this discussion's already going full throttle on this other thread already, so here's link for any of you guys who want to join in.

Spider-Man #12's Miles and Spider-Gwen cover

Also, like I stated in the other thread, Miles is 16 now and Gwen is either 18 or 19 (I don't think the writer was too specific on age), so that's just a 2-3 year age gape. That pretty common in this day and age of relationships, it is not illegal for a 16 year old to date an 18 or 19 year old. Now if they wanted to take the relationship further than just making out then they run into illegal problems but this is essentially a high school sophomore dating a senior who just graduated and barely has one foot placed into college. How about giving Miles some props for being able to attract older women.
    Since her profile in the back of the first issue of Radioactive Spider-Gwen says she was 16 years old when she was bitten by the spider and that was three years before the series started, she would definitely be 19. All the same, if Miles has had his 16th birthday by now, it's only a three-year difference and shouldn't be too big a deal, especially since like leo619 stated, it's legal in the state of New York for someone over the age of 13 but under the age of 18 to have intimate relationships with someone up to four years older than them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Double not to mention how would you prosecute a person from another universe?
    Good point. Gwen would show up as deceased, making her immune from prosecution!

The fact that Marvel puts their readers to walk broken glass to try and justify "being legal" is enough for me to see how much of in completely poor taste this is. There are several Marvel Comics characters that Miles could be exchanging saliva with that no one would even blink and find it cool and cute. Ms. Marvel is his teammate and same age. Viv is his teammate too, hell, RiRi is younger than him and with all the publicity blitz around her it would be nuts. But no, Marvel needs to go for the controversy. At literal all costs, even their own characters dignity. And yes, this does make Spider-Gwen look awful. And it's crazy how Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez are acting "completely cool" with this. How is that not worse than Frank Cho's Spider-Woman's pin-ups with Spider-Gwen?

Or maybe Robbi Rodriguez quitting comics announcement is his "silent protest" out of this.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 07-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X