Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I think it's simply preferential.

I've loved floppies all my life cause

1) I'm too impatient to wait for everything to be resolved to get an arc.
    2) I love admiring everything from the cover to the interior art on a face to face basis.
    3) I love the freedom of forwarding or backtracking at any point at the flick of a hand.

I do plan on dropping floppies eventually because I have way too many as is. That will be in 2 years after all this Rebirth business wraps up and shifts to the next phase. I will start buying trades after that. I can't get into digital personally. It just seems so impersonal.
    I enjoy comic book adaptations but I'm a comic book fan first and foremost. Not a comic book movie fan.

Astonishing Member

I'm buying everything digitally now.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

For me it will always be physical copies. I am both a reader and a collector. I echo the remarks about the smell of the old newsprint, and furthermore....when I am looking to find back issues it's the thrill of the hunt. I love organizing my boxes, and I love adding to my collection. Whether the books are worth money or not doesn't matter, because after 30 years I know what the books are worth to me, and that's all that counts.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Born in 1982, one of my favorite memories is the smell of my school library. I like real books for the full, tactile, sensual experience. I won't buy floppies for the same reason I won't buy digital. They feel disposable, unless it's a variant cover, and those go into my scrapbook. I do audible for novels, and to test drive non-fiction. If I like the audible non-fiction, I buy the book for reference.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

But, with digital, don't you have to have continual access to WiFi in order to access your books? Or, can you download a permanent copy to your tablet?

My new Samsung tablet isn't very good at allowing off-line access to my files ...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    But, with digital, don't you have to have continual access to WiFi in order to access your books? Or, can you download a permanent copy to your tablet?

My new Samsung tablet isn't very good at allowing off-line access to my files ...
    Pretty much why I stick mostly with hard copies.

My downloaded books are available offline.
    Only time I have to connect is to buy and/or download something not already downloaded.

Right now on my tablet, I have-
    Amazing Fantasy #15
    Amazing Spider-Man #1
    Brave and the Bold #28-30
    DC Universe: Rebirth #1
    Justice League of America (1960 series) #1, 2
    ROM #0
    Sandman Mystery Theatre #1-6
    Swamp Thing (1982 series) #20-43, Annual #2
    Titans: Rebirth #1
    Titans Hunt #1-5

If I turn wi-fi off and open Comixology, I get the "Cannot connect to the Comic store" message as expected.
    Then tap on my library icon, and there are my books.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Amazing Member

When I first bought comics in 2009 I bought them physically because I didn't have any options. I took poor care of my comics at the time because I pretty much just threw them under my bed and let them rot there when I was done. (I was around 12 at the time before anybody criticises me ). Outside that I just read trades from the library, back in the day where they were decked out with all the good stuff. Now that I have an Ipad (and spent many years of not buying or even reading comics , I literally returned back to comics towards the end of the new 52) I have an incentive to buy digitally along with the issue of space.

I only buy physical books. Yes, they take up more space, but books are the only medium that won't ever become obsolete, and doesn't require a power source. And honestly, I just prefer an actual book or floppy to a screen, having tried both.

Incredible Member

I think 3.99 for a digital copy is a ripoff. Also, to me the fun of comic books is collecting them. I suppose if print copies do go obsolete I will subscribe to something like Marvel Unlimited since that seems to be the most reasonable priced deal and I will always have my print collection to read too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Pretty much why I stick mostly with hard copies.
    No, this it's not true at all. You can download as many comics as you like if you own them. If they are downloaded you can view them without any kind of internet. However, if you use marvel unlimited then you have an 11 book limit you can download but you don't own those anyway.

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My downloaded books are available offline.
    Only time I have to connect is to buy and/or download something not already downloaded.

Right now on my tablet, I have-
    Amazing Fantasy #15
    Amazing Spider-Man #1
    Brave and the Bold #28-30
    DC Universe: Rebirth #1
    Justice League of America (1960 series) #1, 2
    ROM #0
    Sandman Mystery Theatre #1-6
    Swamp Thing (1982 series) #20-43, Annual #2
    Titans: Rebirth #1
    Titans Hunt #1-5

If I turn wi-fi off and open Comixology, I get the "Cannot connect to the Comic store" message as expected.
    Then tap on my library icon, and there are my books.
    This list is a pretty good argument in favor of digital. For comic book researchers, especially, the companies going back and digitizing old stuff is really great. (And it's pretty labor intensive on the part of the companies, too. Those books have never existed digitally, unlike the new books which are created, at least in part, digitally.)
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I have a Kindle Fire and I am able to download all of my books on it and once they are downloaded I can read them off-line so that not the case across the board. The tablet I have, on the other hand, is old and with it I had to be online to read my books.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor-Comics View Post
    This list is a pretty good argument in favor of digital. For comic book researchers, especially, the companies going back and digitizing old stuff is really great. (And it's pretty labor intensive on the part of the companies, too. Those books have never existed digitally, unlike the new books which are created, at least in part, digitally.)
    Yeah there was another discussion where someone was saying that paying $2.99 for a book that just came out was a ripoff, and someone pointed out that you can also get like Brave and the Bold #28 for $.99, which is not something you can do anywhere else