Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

AU books are a tough sell... I agree that much depends on if "Amazing" is coming out at the same time. If "Amazing" is not being published, and RYV is the "main" title, it will sell very well. I think a big reason RYV did so well originally is because it was the only Peter Parker available. I know some of my LCS's automatically ordered the same number of RYV's as they would normally order "Amazings".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    AU books are a tough sell... I agree that much depends on if "Amazing" is coming out at the same time. If "Amazing" is not being published, and RYV is the "main" title, it will sell very well. I think a big reason RYV did so well originally is because it was the only Peter Parker available. I know some of my LCS's automatically ordered the same number of RYV's as they would normally order "Amazings".
    That's probably the question, this new series will try to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    Better than ASM, as far as I'm concerned.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    Is this the ultimate litmus test on whether or not the marriage sells? If it does well, marriage fans would push louder than ever, else, this would be the final nail in the coffin on the spider marriage debate ?
    There isn't really an argument about whether the marriage sells. The main argument is about whether it's a good idea in the long run, which wouldn't be resolved if this were a massive hit.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There isn't really an argument about whether the marriage sells. The main argument is about whether it's a good idea in the long run, which wouldn't be resolved if this were a massive hit.
    If it's strictly an alt-U storyline, and Marvel can turn a few bucks off of publishing it (the metric that is often touted by many here as to whether something is worthwhile), how could it even be argued that it's not a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    If it's strictly an alt-U storyline, and Marvel can turn a few bucks off of publishing it (the metric that is often touted by many here as to whether something is worthwhile), how could it even be argued that it's not a good idea?
    I'm not sure how this comment fits my post, or the post I was responding to.

I agreed that if Marvel can turn a few bucks off a book that didn't exist before, and doesn't require an impact on other titles, it's something that the company should be happy with.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I'm not sure how this comment fits my post, or the post I was responding to.
    You asked "The main argument is about whether it's a good idea in the long run", and Cheesedique responded with a question that included "how could it even be argued that it's not a good idea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    You asked "The main argument is about whether it's a good idea in the long run", and Cheesedique responded with a question that included "how could it even be argued that it's not a good idea?"
    That makes sense.

My point on how the the marriage is a good idea in the long run was in the context of the main Spider-Man books, since Pako asked if this title could be a litmus test on the marriage in general.

The long run isn't as important for Renew Your Vows. For Marvel, it doesn't matter how long it lasts if every issue is profitable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Not sure about an AU title, but the marriage went on for 20 years strong when part of the main book with no signs of slowing down until it was forceably ejected from the book by editorial (not by a lack of demand from fans). Not sure why this is even a question given the history of the book.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 08-02-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    Is this the ultimate litmus test on whether or not the marriage sells? If it does well, marriage fans would push louder than ever, else, this would be the final nail in the coffin on the spider marriage debate ?
    No. The marriage actually had a real world run over 2 decades featured in multiple...sometimes up to 5 titles a month. See my previous post. Again, we don't need to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Not sure about an AU title, but the marriage went on for 20 years strong when part of the main book with no signs of slowing down until it was forceably ejected from the book by editorial (not by a lack of demand from fans). Not sure why this is even a question given the history of the book.
    It's 20 years strong except for that time when it was announced that the real Peter Parker wasn't the guy who got married to Mary Jane. And that time MJ was believed dead, and Peter was a widower. And that time Mary Jane left him, and they were separated. And all the mediocre comics dismissed as being part of the 90s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's 20 years strong except for that time when it was announced that the real Peter Parker wasn't the guy who got married to Mary Jane. And that time MJ was believed dead, and Peter was a widower. And that time Mary Jane left him, and they were separated. And all the mediocre comics dismissed as being part of the 90s.
    All 3 instances (totalling approx 4 out of 20 years) were from an editorially driven desire to remove the marriage like they did with OMD, not out of necessity from a lack of demand for the title. No doubt many in power had it out for the marriage during it's run (they didn't like or want it from the start), but that had little to nothing to do with fan opinions about it. Fans ovrall have shown to embrace the marriage and still do today. Still 16 solid years of the marriage being featured without editorial needlessly trying to remove it.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 08-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    All 3 instances (totalling approx 4 out of 20 years) were from an editorially driven desire to remove the marriage like they did with OMD, not out of necessity from a lack of demand for the title. No doubt many in power had it out for the marriage during it's run (they didn't like or want it from the start), but that had little to nothing to do with fan opinions about it. Fans ovrall have shown to embrace the marriage and still do today. Still 16 solid years of the marriage being featured without editorial needlessly trying to remove it.
    I wasn't saying the problem was lack of demand. The clone saga and period in which MJ was believed dead were more due to a desire by writers and editors to shake things up every now and then, which is difficult to do with a development that freezes an element of the status quo. It is worth noting that those changes followed poorly regarded periods in the Spider-Man books (Peter Parker No More, and the Mackie/ Byrne relaunch) so it's not as if the book was otherwise good at that point.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I wasn't saying the problem was lack of demand. The clone saga and period in which MJ was believed dead were more due to a desire by writers and editors to shake things up every now and then, which is difficult to do with a development that freezes an element of the status quo. It is worth noting that those changes followed poorly regarded periods in the Spider-Man books (Peter Parker No More, and the Mackie/ Byrne relaunch) so it's not as if the book was otherwise good at that point.
    Yet somehow, the book's doldrums were the fault of the marriage, and by extension, MJ.

Not the uninspired writers and editors.

BANNED

That makes sense.

My point on how the the marriage is a good idea in the long run was in the context of the main Spider-Man books, since Pako asked if this title could be a litmus test on the marriage in general.

The long run isn't as important for Renew Your Vows. For Marvel, it doesn't matter how long it lasts if every issue is profitable.
    Renew Your Vows would be a good litmus test because it the marriage - which is the entire crux of Renew Your Vows - could do well, then why not incorporate that into the main universe?

And why not just attribute the quality of those stories to those "poorly regarded" eras?

The marriage does not "freeze an element of the status quo" because it prevents Peter or Mary Jane to have relationships with other people. It is a status quo unto itself. A great source of misunderstanding may be making the mistake of treating the marriage as though it's not a status quo. It's treated as the opposition to some "true" status quo.