Incredible Member

Default Totally Awesome Hulk question

Now that it seems Amadeus will be Hulking-out for the forseeable future, I have a couple questions for anyone reading that title.

I've only read the character in a few issues of Hercules that crossed over with Agents of Atlas, but he left a strong impression as a different type of character, calculating the odds of what was happening, and making small moves that had big impact. You know, using his head. Brains over brawn, etc. I find it ironic that he's now a SMASHY type of character.

So:

1) Have the writers been addressing this, like showing some tension between these two aspects of his character? Or is he just a generic kind of teenage Hulk now?

2) Also, I've uploaded a couple panels from Incredible Hercules #138 that are kind of ironic in hindsight, or perhaps prescient, since it was written by Greg Pak (and Fred van Lente). That issue came out in January 2010...how long do you think Pak was planning this evolution?

p.s. sorry I don't know how to rotate that second image...Cho may be a supergenius, but I can't even figure out the fucking basics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here you go:

Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

As for your questions:

First, I'd like to address that I really, really like Amadeus Cho. He's sort of a spiritual updated version of Rick Jones, and I love how far he has come. From Hulk sidekick to Herc sidekick and now Hulk. I've read the first issue of his run and didn't like it, but I have heard that the book got a lot better after the first issue so I might come back. And I really love Greg Pak's writing so I'll probably get on that via Marvel Unlimited and if I like it a lot, TPBs down the road.

I actually think that Pak was placing him in position of taking over as the new Herc, not the new Hulk. The character sort of lucked out and that storyline that Pak was foreshadowing never came to be. I love Bruce Banner. I love his tragic story and the last Mark Waid run seems all kinds of fun, with a Bruce Banner totally in control of his Hulk side and trying to become the best version that he can be. It reminds me a lot of PAD's Hulk, which is easily my favorite run of the character in comics. So I'm kinda torn: I don't really mind Amadeus taking over as Hulk, but at same time I think that killing off Bruce Banner is completely meaningless, a waste of what Bruce could bring to the Hulk book even depowered and most of all, Bendis continuing his character assassination of Hawkeye. It's just awful and it makes me sad to think about the wasted potential there's to that. I just wish that if someone was to kill Bruce, it'd be more well thought out. It'd have more heart, it'd be made by someone that actually understood the character. And I feel that while very few do, Greg Pak is one of them. I actually don't think they should have killed Bruce neither have him taking over Amadeus Cho's book, because I do like the character and Greg is a hell of a great writer, but yeah. I mostly think he was setting up Amadeus to become the new Herc, but then he ended up becoming the totally awesome Hulk instead.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Incredible Member

Thanks!

Also, I've just read an interview with Pak ON THIS VERY SITE, where he kind of talks about planting the seeds for this a decade ago when he introduced Cho.

To be honest, I wasn't really on board with Chulk (?) at first, but knowing that Pak has been the driving force behind the character for so long, I'm way more interested in giving this book a chance*

* If only I could afford it (sigh)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    As for your questions:

First, I'd like to address that I really, really like Amadeus Cho. He's sort of a spiritual updated version of Rick Jones, and I love how far he has come. From Hulk sidekick to Herc sidekick and now Hulk.

I actually think that Pak was placing him in position of taking over as the new Herc, not the new Hulk.
    Yeah, my only fear is that now he follows the Rick Jones path to irrelevancy (A-Bomb!!!) but it seems like he's in better hands.

You're definitely right about the replacement Hercules plan...if I recall, the Prince of Power miniseries followed right after this particular Hercules storyline, which (SPOILERS) took Herc off the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Thanks!

Also, I've just read an interview with Pak ON THIS VERY SITE, where he kind of talks about planting the seeds for this a decade ago when he introduced Cho.

To be honest, I wasn't really on board with Chulk (?) at first, but knowing that Pak has been the driving force behind the character for so long, I'm way more interested in giving this book a chance*

* If only I could afford it (sigh)
    I have the perfect solution for you. Get an iPad. Get a Marvel Unlimited subscription. Yeah you won't be supporting the creators like you would if you were buying their comics and TPBs, but at the very least you'd get to legally trial their comics and get what you like the most. Best 50 dollars I've spent this year.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    First, I'd like to address that I really, really like Amadeus Cho.,..... I've read the first issue of his run and didn't like it
    but you only gave him one issue to decide it wasn't for you. ive never understood this type of comic reader. first issues are really just introductory in purpose how anyone can determine anything from just the first issue is foreign to me.

@OP, I love the new Hulk book and am totally ok with Cho being made into the Hulk. He has history with the jade giant and it didnt come off as pandering when they did it. They have shown so much respect to Bruce especially in the last issue (8). It was a completely passing of the torch story and felt right. The book is fun and lighthearted and exciting and i love the art.

it is a full 180 degrees from the despair and running and letdowns and setbacks Bruce experienced much of the time. I was hoping Cho would use his brain more and not conduct himself with so much punching but maybe they will address it later in the run. i look forward to continuing to read the adventures of Cho as the Hulk. it is the few books i actually look forward to each month out of the twelve marvel book i have on my pull list.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    but you only gave him one issue to decide it wasn't for you. ive never understood this type of comic reader. first issues are really just introductory in purpose how anyone can determine anything from just the first issue is foreign to me.

@OP, I love the new Hulk book and am totally ok with Cho being made into the Hulk. He has history with the jade giant and it didnt come off as pandering when they did it. They have shown so much respect to Bruce especially in the last issue (8). It was a completely passing of the torch story and felt right. The book is fun and lighthearted and exciting and i love the art.

it is a full 180 degrees from the despair and running and letdowns and setbacks Bruce experienced much of the time. I was hoping Cho would use his brain more and not conduct himself with so much punching but maybe they will address it later in the run. i look forward to continuing to read the adventures of Cho as the Hulk. it is the few books i actually look forward to each month out of the twelve marvel book i have on my pull list.
    Yeah I hear you man, you're totally right. In my defense, I'll try out his run via the Marvel Unlimited app, but I want to be done with Indestructible Hulk first. I heard great things about it, so if I like it, I'll probably get the TPBs down the road, or just add him to my pull list if the Marvel digital app comes off with a promo.
    Pull list: